What's new

Lee Pro 1000 progressive press.

I'm currently loading over 1000 rounds per week of 9mm and looking to change the order I do things to accomodate the Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler that arrived today.

Previously I've just been running vibratory cleaned brass through my Hornady LnL AP but now I would like a separate deprime and size followed by a wet tumble clean before completing the process on the LnL.

I would like the deprime/sizing operation to be reasonably fast and was thinking that the Lee Pro1000 progressive with case feeder would be the best way to go.

I understand that the Lee is reported to have some shotcomings especially in the priming department but I only need it to feed cases into the first FLS die and then move on through empty die stations then successfully eject.

Does that sound like a plan that could work and if not any other suggestions.

Thanks.

Why add a separate press? Could you just tumble, deprime and size on the Hornady, wet tumble, then reload on the Hornady. Lee stuff is less robust and can be pretty finicky.

Why add a separate press? Could you just tumble, deprime and size on the Hornady, wet tumble, then reload on the Hornady. Lee stuff is less robust and can be pretty finicky.

I find that resizing and decapping on the Hornady leads to bits of primer residue eventually fouling the primer slide and jamming up that part of the process. Regular vacuuming doesn't work. I have been using an air compressor to blow out the residue every few hundred rounds but apart from the down time I am concerned about the lead contamination I'm blasting around my shed.

My Hornady doesn't have the motorised case feeder but I use the Hornady bullet feed die with carbon fibre tubes. Using that die meant taking out the RCBS Lock out die I had in that position. I have the Lee FCD in number 5.

I was sort of hoping that by using a Lee Pro 1000 with its case feeder I would be able to fairly quickly FLS/deprime cases separately and keep the mess off the Hornady.

I would then remove the FLS die from the Hornady and move the expander/powder drop to station 1, replace the RCBS Lock Out to station 2, Bullet Feed station 3, Seater in station 4 and FCD in station 5.

I was planning on priming off the press after wet tumbling.

Thats an easy job in front of the TV if the cases are clean.

I use a Dillon 650, the deprime/sizing is far enough from the priming station there is no issue with fouling. We've ran 2000 non-stop a few times with zero problem. Dry tumble the brass, dump it in the feeder and start pulling. I have it setup for 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 223 Remington.

Lee has some decent items, progressive presses are not one of them.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Run away from the Lee Progressive 1000, I had one years ago and priming was it's worst feature. You would be better served with a cheap single stage and a universal depriming die and the RCBS bench mounted primer.

Last edited:
bberg100 is right, if things are that bad with the Hornady dump it and go with a 650 with the case feeder. I have used that press for years and 1500-2k during a sitting are easy and no problems with the machine or rounds.

I use a Dillon 650, the deprime/sizing is far enough from the priming station there is no issue with fouling. We've ran 2000 non-stop a few times with zero problem. Dry tumble the brass, dump it in the feeder and start pulling. I have it setup for 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 223 Remington.

Lee has some decent items, progressive presses are not one of them.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Dillon 550 (I know not fully progressive...) or 650, or if you have only one caliber, then a Square Deal B. SQD's are good choices for the money.
From the Lee presses, the Classic Turret is a great press, however, you have four handle strokes per round, while the Dillons do one round per stroke, so 4x as fast.

Run away from the Lee Progressive 1000, I had one years ago and priming was it's worst feature. You would be better served with a cheap single stage and a universal depriming die and the RCBS bench mounted primer.

I wasn't planning on priming on the Lee, just FLS/deprime but as fast as possible.

I have several single stage presses (RCBS,Master, Lee and Lyman) as well as the RCBS Bench priming too and universal depriming die.

Apart from the priming I was hoping to avoid handling cases one at a time.

bberg100 is right, if things are that bad with the Hornady dump it and go with a 650 with the case feeder. I have used that press for years and 1500-2k during a sitting are easy and no problems with the machine or rounds.

May have to consider that option. Can never get 1000-2K in a sitting on the LnL without having to tear down the primer slide a couple of times and clean it out. Doesn't take that long but throws my rhythm out and is starting to annoy me.

I have read that the 650 has it's own priming issues though with tipping occurring every now and then and when that happens it's harder to fix than the Hornady primer system.

I have loaded over 100k on my Hornady LnL and have no problems.

I have at least that number on mine and apart from the priming frustation it has been great. It is starting to get to me now.

The problem I describe appears to be quite common, how have you avoided it??

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Like priming off the press, you can also deprime in front of the TV with the Harvey Decapper, then tumble, then resize.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have at least that number on mine and apart from the priming frustation it has been great. It is starting to get to me now.

Buy a Dillon

Like priming off the press, you can also deprime in front of the TV with the Harvey Decapper, then tumble, then resize.

I've only seem the Harvey on YouTube and it looked sort of clumsy. Appeared that you had to orient the flash hole onto the deprime rod each time rather than it self centering.

I keep a toothbrush handy and brush out the primer shuttle every now and then. Admittedly, I do get a sliver of brass in the primer seater plunger every now and then that will keep the it from going all the way down. No big deal. I just brush it out and move on.

Bits of this and that are gonna get on a press. I figure keeping it cleaned off is just part of the operation. I doubt if any press is gonna be happy dirty, even a blue one that costs twice the price.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've only seem the Harvey on YouTube and it looked sort of clumsy. Appeared that you had to orient the flash hole onto the deprime rod each time rather than it self centering.

With just a little practice it becomes very easy to use. I wish I had bought mine years ago. I have only used it on bottle necked rifle brass though.

May have to consider that option. Can never get 1000-2K in a sitting on the LnL without having to tear down the primer slide a couple of times and clean it out. Doesn't take that long but throws my rhythm out and is starting to annoy me.

I have read that the 650 has it's own priming issues though with tipping occurring every now and then and when that happens it's harder to fix than the Hornady primer system.

The only time primer tipping is an issue is when you are learning to set the spring tension on the station. Too light, too tight and the primers can get tipped. Case has to have just enough wiggle to center on the primer.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Ozziedoc, in retrospect, if you could get a used Lee Pro 1K for cheep, or if someone was throwing one away, then it might be fine for your intended purpose, but I certainly would not invest any real money in one or buy a new one for that purpose.

Top Bottom