What's new

Survival Knives.Your Choice for the Zombie Apocalypse

Agreed.

If "most use" is defined as "cutting peanut butter sandwiches" most cheap knives are OK. BudK sells a lot of them! :lol:

My point was a cheap SWORD is truly dangerous to be around.

AA
I am in full agreement with you,so are cheap knife's though.i knew a guy that got killed with a cheapo Pakistani knife to the kidney.the dull blade must of hurt double.id much rather confront a miscreant with a cheap sword against my good one than a cheap knife in the back in a dark alley.And if i get my druthers's,I'll die in peace and not ever have to worry with the miscreant's ever again.Ahh but i digress,good steel win's over cheap steel every time.

Being a Celt, I dig it. Hope it's well-made, though. I've seen a poorly-made copy of that ...

Generally speaking, poorly-made stainless-steel swords can be dangerous. Though low-grade stainless is OK for (small) knives, cheapo swords can crack/break and fling the broken blade- becoming truly dangerous.

There's a great (well. instructional) Home Shopping Channel vid where the guy is showing how "tough" their 440-stainless "samurai" swords are when it breaks and cuts him.

BLUF: cheap knives are OK for most use. Cheap swords are scary.

AA

Agreed, the longer the blade the more the quality of the steel matters. This sword is from Kris Cutlery (in the Philippines I think), so not exactly a collector piece. It's made from folded-and-welded 1060 and 9250 steel with a cast brass hilt so it seems like a good user-grade sword. There are some positive reviews out there from those who test swords. Youtube video: https://youtu.be/T396rgMQ8XQ

As for historicity, there are no extant iron or steel Celtic swords of this design. The existing Celtic swords with this leaf-shaped blade are bronze.

Last edited:
Where does knife end a sword begin? Because I'd have this:

proxy.php

This is a "Celtic short sword" with 20-inch blade. How Celtic it is may be debatable, of course, but a pretty nice piece of work in my opinion, and an effective zombie dispatcher.
i find it interesting how much it resembles the roman Gladius.cool how cultures blend.i am working on getting to do some bronze casting,this would be a cool cast
proxy.php

Last edited:
i find it interesting how much it resembles the roman Gladius.cool how cultures blend.i am working on getting to do some bronze casting,this would be a cool cast

There was a lot more intercultural transaction than we might think. Through war, economic trade, migration, and marriage, cultures in proximity to one another influenced one another significantly. It makes it quite difficult to define what something like "Celtic" means!

I have a lot of knives but if I could only have one knife in an emergency it would be my Condor Bushlore. Good carbon steel in a handy size. Very tough and easy to sharpen!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I don't care what kind of steel it is....
"Never bring a knife to a gun fight"
As a fellow Tennessean I totally agree, but when crap hits the fan, it's always good to have a good sharp knife on your side.

or maybe I've just watched last of the Mohicans too many times. :thumbup1:

Zombie apocalypse I'm thinking butterfly knives, but with sharp edges as opposed to the traditional blunt bonecrunchers, for detail work on brainstems with a comfortable distance. This sort of thing:
proxy.php

This HHH knife goes with me when I'm camping etc

$hhh1.jpg

1080 and 15n20 carbon steel in Twisted Damascus pattern
$hhh3.JPG

Holds a great edge and is pretty easy to sharpen, very comfortable in the hand as well!

Top Bottom