What's new

Rice Cookers- Are they worth it?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have an Aroma and I use it a lot. Instead of boiling eggs you can steam them for 13 minutes and they come out perfect and easy to shell. We also steam a lot of veggies In it. It also does a great job on the rice.

Sorry to thread jack, but do you just put the eggs in the steamer basket?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
If I only want to do enough rice for one meal I use a pot. I do like having one less pot on the stove top at other times. I have an Aroma NutriWare stainless model and like it very much.

I've had my Aroma 8-cup rice cooker for only a couple of weeks, and I love it. I live alone, but I'll make six cups (cooked) of rice every couple of days. Some for my dinner, some for next-day fried rice. All for less than $30 on Amazon, who also delivered a 25 lb bag of Dynasty Thai jasmine rice.

strop

Now half as wise
I cook a lot of quinoa, brown and wild rice. Can Zojirushi handle grains other than rice? What model do you have?
This is the model we have. Got it on sale around the holidays a year or more ago, for around $100. We've done both long grain and short grain, as well as brown rice. Don't see why it wouldn't do quinoa, but you might have to experiment with proportions and time.
The big advantage for us is you can set the time and walk away. It will stay warm for a couple of hours without burning on the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-LAC05-Cookbook-Wrapped-Chopsticks/dp/B00BSUHOA0/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1471912875&sr=1-2&keywords=zojirushi+rice+cooker+ns-lac05

We cook rice at least three times a week, normally for one to three people. Usually white basmati but also brown and also millet and quinoa. For a couple decades now have been using a Black & Decker Vegetable Steamer/Rice Cooker, working on our second one now. Inexpensive, flexible and does a great job with rice. A bit fragile as well.

Shop around, $20 Factory Direct, $500 plus, not including shipping through Amazon.ca, gotta love Amazon.ca.

http://www.factorydirect.ca/Canada-...Hs1000c_4Qt_Food_Steamer-White_050875803817/0

https://www.amazon.ca/Decker-HS1000-Scenter-Steamer-4-Quart/dp/B0007VZZNO

dave

If you eat rice at least once a week, then a rice cooker is definitely worth getting. The best part about them is that you don't have to stand over them the whole time the rice is cooking.
I'm surprised the one my wife bought when we first got married almost 10 years ago still works. She is Filipino and cooks rice a least 3 times a week.

With an Indonesian wife, there is no question - Yes! We are on our third or fourth by now, plus the one in our place in France. Invaluable.

If you eat rice enough, are fussy about your rice, or want convenience then a rice cooker can be an excellent addition to your kitchen. The more controls/features the most expensive they are. Try to match feature wanted/needed with budget. I also suggest spending a little more if you can for the made in Japan models. Even some Japanese brands have ones made in China so check the box or the unit itself.

If you eat rice at least once a week, then a rice cooker is definitely worth getting. The best part about them is that you don't have to stand over them the whole time the rice is cooking.
I've tried making rice by hand and I just can't do it ... it is always undercooked or overcooked or burnt or at best edible but not very appetizing.

My auto-rice cooker(s) get it right every time. Whether its a simple on/off device or a high-end programmable, a rice-cooker is an indispensable part of anyone's kitchen.

I'm surprised the one my wife bought when we first got married almost 10 years ago still works. She is Filipino and cooks rice a least 3 times a week.
My current one is 8 years old, I still have the box and instructions and all the accessories. This particular model is not longer made, but it also will be a slow cooker, steamer, makes oatmeal/hot cereal, and it even has mode for DIY TOFU.

But I only use it to make rice, usually Basmati.

Mine needs a new battery. The clock resets whenever I unplug it. I looked into getting a replacement, but it looks like this is not User-serviceable. I need to find a tech that can dissect this cooker and do some soldering and hope he gets it right the first time.

I eat a ton of rice...5 of 7 days a week include rice.
I use an Aroma 10 cup (dry) rice cooker that's typically between $30-$40. Prior to owning the cooker, I cooked rice on the stovetop for over 15 years. It is now my favorite and most used kitchen appliance.

So, my vote goes to "Definitely worth it," but I'm not sure why I'd pay for a more expensive one. Of course, before I got a rice cooker I would have been in the "Bah, just do it on the stove top" camp, so maybe there is merit I am unaware of.

Got a aroma form Costco an year ago as gift I'm guessing a 20 cup for about 50 with a micro processor.

I've never seen the need for anything that large, but I know they have their place.

The sushi place I used to frequent had 3 large rice cookers in rotation. Two at the chef station and the other one cooking the next batch.
They called these $400 Pots, because every time they went through a batch meant another $400 should go in the cash register.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I don't like them. But then, I am extremely picky about my rice. When you cook it yourself you have perfect control over every factor and every step of the process. Basic rice cooking is easy anyway. For white rice, a little less than 2 parts water to one part rice, a little oil or butter if desired, a pinch of salt to increase the temperature of the water, bring it to boil, lower to barely simmering, covered, for 20 minutes, fluff, let stand covered for 5 or 10 minutes and bobs yer uncle. Customize cooking time and exact amount of water as needed. Different types or brands of rice, or even rice that is older or newer, will behave differently.

But okay, so lets say you are not so picky, you just want a "good" pot of rice, and you want push button convenience. Don't get a dedicated rice cooker. Get an electric pressure cooker. Seriously. They have start timers, cook timers, warm timers. Use it as a crock pot, slow cooker, pressure cooker. But back to the matter at hand, rice, you can put the rack in the bottom of the pressure cooker and add about 3/4" of water, then put 3 parts water (or very slightly more... experiment for yourself) to 2 parts rice in a small pot that can fit inside the pressure cooker. I use a saucepan from which I have scientifically and precisely broke the handle just for this purpose. Anyway put the small pot with the rice and water (and oil or butter if desired) into the pressure cooker. No salt is needed. Put the cover on and set the vent to pressure. Set the cook timer for 3 minutes. Go away. Come back later. In your absence or inattention, the electric pressure cooker will heat up and bring itself up to pressure, then continue to cook at pressure for 3 minutes, then gradually and naturally reduce pressure (not venting it off) and downshift to "Warm", so your rice is perfectly cooked and kept nice and warm until you are ready to serve it. This is called the pot-in-pot method or PIP. You can go online for precise directions for different types of rice: brown, short grain, wild rice, etc. No matter what type of rice, the method is fire and forget. Like I said I am picky about my rice and I pick up quickly if it is under or over watered, under or over cooked, etc but the electric pressure cooker makes a satisfactory pot of rice, better than a "rice cooker". And the pressure cooker is good for other stuff, too. In fact, because I often use mine for cooking rice but I also like it for making beans, stews or roasts, stuff like that, I got a second one so one can cook the rice and one can cook the other stuff. Once everything is loaded and set and the buttons pushed, I can basically abandon my meal and do other stuff, then come back and eat it still fresh and hot.

Top Bottom