What's new

Do you find yourself using the same rig daily even though you have other stuff?

My cabinet looks like this:

$IMG_2398.jpg

But I rarely open the doors because I have been using this daily for years:

$IMG_2400.jpg

Ironically, none of these three items were chosen by me. The Progress was a PIF over 2 years ago and immediately became a favorite, The Duke 3 was a gift from a ladyfriend and gained favor over everything else, and a friend of mine handed me me the original AoS unscented puck in the bowl to try. I regularly replace the puck as it is consumed about every 18 months.

I find I could get rid of everything else and not know they were gone.

Has anyone else found himself in this position?

Not me. I love variety in my shave, and if something doesn't perform quite as well as I'd like then it's fun to try to get better results from it next time around.

Yeah, I do this, I have several things to choose from, but I tend to use one combination for days or weeks at a time.

I enjoy the variety in almost every part of my shave, but I find myself reaching for my Omega pro 49 brush almost automatically, and would probably be ok using it exclusively. Until tomorrow, when my Wolf Whiskers comes in.

Wow!!!! Now that is a cabinet.....

Id like to see more pictures of everyone stash. Lol...
Makes me feel better about my addiction...

Out of 32 DE and SE, razors I might use 6, Rotate 6 brushes and 3 soaps, 10 bowls and mugs, Before I Joined Badger and Blade I only had a Gillette Slim and later a BB, Wilkinson Sword blades, 1 puck of VDH and a Boar brush, 1 Mug.
I blame this collection bug on B&B, for 50+ years I was a 1 razor man with a small spot on a shelf in the medicine cabinet to a multi shelf shave den. Now I have to ask if there is a cure for this bug. Helllllllp :001_smile

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I also find myself using the same rig almost every day:

Wolfman
SOC boar
MDC

I have other stuff, but these are my (current) favorite and more and more I find no good reason to use something that's not my favorite.

My cabinet looks like this:

View attachment 683043

But I rarely open the doors because I have been using this daily for years:

View attachment 683044

Ironically, none of these three items were chosen by me. The Progress was a PIF over 2 years ago and immediately became a favorite, The Duke 3 was a gift from a ladyfriend and gained favor over everything else, and a friend of mine handed me me the original AoS unscented puck in the bowl to try. I regularly replace the puck as it is consumed about every 18 months.

I find I could get rid of everything else and not know they were gone.

Has anyone else found himself in this position?

I don't like to switch much. The most I switch is from de to straight when I've got the extra time. I don't know why, but it's hard for me to use anything that's not my favorite. I take different things when I travel, and while they work well, I prefer my home setup. I used to switch soaps a lot, until I tried haslinger. It is easily my favorite.

Of course, I don't have nearly your collection. If I did, it'd have taken me much longer to settle on my daily setup.

I have had times where I use the same set-up for an extended time period. I eventually get bored with one of the products, usually the soap and switch things out. I will say some days it feels like a burden having to choose between all the different soaps, razors and brushes to use in the morning. I mean burden in the sense that I just want to use them all.:w00t:

I rotate brushes every couple of days. Razors get rotated every 3-5 days and soaps and aftershaves change daily.

I am often in the same boat! I favor one razor, one brush maker, and one soap maker. I tend to select from five blade options and only six AS options! Does this make me a minimalist? :lol:

Its funny. I keep saying to myself that I will eventually find the one razor and brush that I like the best and just use those for the most part. Unfortunately, I have this undeniable need to keep changing razors every week and brushes every day. But then again, I've only been shaving since April so I'm hoping one to settle down some.

I have three brushes ... I tend to rotate them so they have a chance to dry completely.

Many razors, but my go to for the last year or so has been my dad's Ball End Tech ... it gives me a close, but not irritating shave. I love it.

As for soaps and A/S, I use whatever strikes my fancy that morning

Hardware, YES! Software, no...
While I don't have nearly the collection you do, I have a few razors and brushes.
I have used the same brush for almost a year now, only breaking out another brush maybe twice in that time.
I use the same razor for months at a time, only really switching between my 2 favorites.
Now software is another matter... LOL

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I tend to use the same few razors, brushes, soaps, AS, etc. for a time with an occasional foray into something else I have. Then, after that time, I tend to rotate another few razors, brushes, soaps, AS, etc. for another time, with occasional forays. Then, another rotation . . . .

I own 4 DE razors but only use the H1 Atlas and '53 Gillette President. The Atlas gets the nod 85-90% of the time though. I only own one brush so that makes it easy. Soap I use VDH Deluxe almost exclusively anymore, though I have used Proraso Green now and then when in the mood for a switch.

I'm generally the type who finds what works and what I like and stick with it. I find this more enjoyable as I "know" my kit so intimately that it's second nature.

"If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" is my motto in life.

I sort of splurge when it comes to afterhshaves though - I use four of the old classics (Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer and Bay Rum).

Top Bottom