What's new

Do you find yourself using the same rig daily even though you have other stuff?

Not me. I love variety in my shave, and if something doesn't perform quite as well as I'd like then it's fun to try to get better results from it next time around.

+1. I have established a regular rotation of razors, blades and soaps/creams. I agree that it's fun to experiment and get better results on another go round. For brushes, I don't rotate as much, but do every few weeks or so.

+1.If I might ask'where did you come by the razor hanger?i have been shopping for one and i really like that one

That razor hanger is one of the handiest pieces of gear I have but it didn't start out in life as shaving paraphernalia at all. I found it stuck on the wall in my bathroom cabinet and I can remember many years ago it having a bath brush suspended between it's tines.

It's seeing much more action now as a razor receptacle than it ever did as a bath brush holder.

Having been through multiple creams and razors I have settled on a couple. It took me years and I mean years to work my way through all the creams and soaps that I acquired. The biggest Rad killer for me was purchasing a Cobra Classic. I tried straights multiple times and bought and sold and finally decided I had had enough. I still have the razors that took me quite a while to get and have decided to keep them.

I own 4 DE razors but only use the H1 Atlas and '53 Gillette President. The Atlas gets the nod 85-90% of the time though. I only own one brush so that makes it easy. Soap I use VDH Deluxe almost exclusively anymore, though I have used Proraso Green now and then when in the mood for a switch.

I'm generally the type who finds what works and what I like and stick with it. I find this more enjoyable as I "know" my kit so intimately that it's second nature.

"If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" is my motto in life.

I sort of splurge when it comes to afterhshaves though - I use four of the old classics (Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer and Bay Rum).

This is pretty much where I am. I too own four razors, but use only one, my '79 Tech, most of the time. I'm going through a 100 pack of a blade I know I like, and change my cream only occasionally. I like to stick with what works when I find it.

I have multiple aftershaves, though, with a focus on menthol. And went a little nuts buying colognes. Still on the long search with colognes...

Last edited:
Have numerous razors, brushes, soaps, creams, splashes, balms, oils, witch hazels, tonics, gins, ...

Never the same shave twice, except when out of town. Then I take one razor, one blade, one brush, 1-2 tube creams, one splash. By day three I am HATING on it, can't wait to get back to my goodies. Been known to find an item in a shop I have at home, but will snag it anyway to give me a change.

Honestly the only reason I keep coming back to "traditional" shaving is to change up the drudgery of the daily chore. The M-3 and Edge works very well for me, but bores me to tears.

That razor hanger is one of the handiest pieces of gear I have but it didn't start out in life as shaving paraphernalia at all. I found it stuck on the wall in my bathroom cabinet and I can remember many years ago it having a bath brush suspended between it's tines.

It's seeing much more action now as a razor receptacle than it ever did as a bath brush holder.
cool.thanks for the idea,it looks to work really well.

When I travel, I only bring one razor, blade type, brush, cream or soap, and aftershave. In advance, I know I will grow weary of each on the trip, so I try to bring items I won't miss for a month or so. Because I know I won't use them upon my return for a month or so.

Every day needs to be randomly different.

Hi,

Nope. I stick with what works for years at a time. Razors change as my whiskers do. Brushes wear out after 20 some years. Soaps and blades change only when whatever I was using disappears.

After 40 years of shaving.....

I have at this point....

1 kind of blade
2 kinds of soap
2 Straights (1 heirloom)
2 SE's (heading to the St Sue auction)
4 DE's (3 heirloom)
6 Brushes (2 heirloom)

I mix the two soaps. I tend to use only one DE for years at a time, then switch. And some which were used in the past were passed on. I kept the heirloom ones, though.

Same with the brushes, used one of them for over 20 years. Two of them are replacements for my main and my travel - in the past couple of years. Two are heirlooms.

I will never have a collection much larger than this.

Stan

Last edited:
Hmmm. I only own the one safety razor and one brush (Mongoose and Semogue 620) so, simple for me. But then I'm real new to this. But I do find myself sampling a different soap and different pre- and post-shave products most days.

----------
Spike

Only when I buy something new....
When I bought my Vie Long 4101, I used it almost exclusively for 3 weeks with my Turkish Copper Mug
Now that it's starting to break in, I've gone back to using something different every day

All of my seven razors, brushes, blades, and opened soaps and creams get a go fairly regularly; but they all have to fit in around my favourite set up of Fatip Piccolo, Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, Semogue 620, and Arko.

Since acquiring me wife's grandfathers pre-war Canadian tech I seem to be using the same setup daily. Pre-war Canadian tech, GSB, razo rock monster and proraso green cream. The only change I make once in a while is switching to Saponificio Varissino Dolomiti or Tundra Arctica.

Hi,

Nope. I stick with what works for years at a time. Razors change as my whiskers do. Brushes wear out after 20 some years. Soaps and blades change only when whatever I was using disappears.

After 40 years of shaving.....

I have at this point....

1 kind of blade
2 kinds of soap
2 Straights (1 heirloom)
2 SE's (heading to the St Sue auction)
4 DE's (3 heirloom)
6 Brushes (2 heirloom)

I mix the two soaps. I tend to use only one DE for years at a time, then switch. And some which were used in the past were passed on. I kept the heirloom ones, though.

Same with the brushes, used one of them for over 20 years. Two of them are replacements for my main and my travel - in the past couple of years. Two are heirlooms.

I will never have a collection much larger than this.

Stan

You Sir are an icon! A true "keep it simple" guy after my own heart. :thumbup1:

To me I just know what I like and once I find it I see no reason to be switching up all the time. I enjoy every shave and look forward to it every morning. I know my soap, brush, etc will deliver just as expected every time.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Didnt realize it until now, but yes! I do switch it up, but I have 3-4 favoirites that I always will reach for.

I rotate razors, but I mainly use the same soaps, AS, and blades until they are gone. My main brush is my Omega 10049. My favorite set up so far is:

Lord L6
Omega 10049
Derby blade
And my favorite soap I've used is TOBS Sandalwood, but I don't have any, so I'm using C.O Bigelow currently.

I use the same badger brush and soaking cup daily, but I only have 2 (and one spare handle and knot for assembly). Recently I have been using the same A/S daily to wind down my reserve.

One razor: Fatboy
One brush: Vintage Floris badger, reknotted by Whipped Dog 2 yearsago
One lather bowl: Utilemud Red/lavender
One brand of blades: Gillette SB
One blade bank:Vintage Listerine frog
One aftershave (90% of the time): 4711 cologne

Fairly minimalist, but then here come the soaps and creams: 30+ in a slow, very pleasing rotation. Various scent families, grapefruit this month.

Top Bottom