What's new

Any good Chicago shave stores?

I'm heading to downtown Chicago in 2 weeks and want to visit some good shave stores in the city while there since my home area doesn't have anything close. I've looked up a Crabtree and Evelyn store and a Truefitt and Hill Store on N. Michigan Ave. but wanted to check here for others to see what some of the members might recommend.

Thanks.

Merz in the Downtown Macy's.

Zeni...I'm trying to get a picture for you mincing through the State Street Macy's store...it's making me laugh, just thinking about it!

But the Merz is a pleasant visit, lots of stuff, if not a bit pricey. Still, it's a good visit.

Half the fun of this visit is gone, as of last week, with the demise of Garrett's popcorn at the location just across the street! But somehow you'll survive.

NOTE TO VISITOR: If you're at a big fancy Michigan Avenue Hotel and the room service menu lists a "Chicago Style Hotdog" for 9.95, and it comes slathered with Nacho Cheese, no tomato, and the relish isn't some flourescent green shade, remember, it was good ol' Mr. Gillette who told you that you can't find a good Chicago Hotdog in an upscale Chicago hotel.

Find Portillos, Flukeys, Superdawg, or any of hundreds of smaller places...get the special with dog, fries and a drink for 4.95, and take the 5.00 you saved to Merz's where you can buy a pack of Derbies for just a few cents more!

If you're visiting on business and can "expense" some Lawry's Prime Rib or Gibson's steakhouse, Zeni and Mr. Gillette can meet you at either of these establisments (They won't let Zeni into Charlie Trotter's since that problem in 1993...) and we'll personally point you toward State Street AND Michigan Avenue (no such intersection exists, but we'll send you there) after dinner. Just keep in touch. Yes, Lawry's would be good, don't you think, Zeni?:lol:

Afterward, Zeni will give you two tickets to the Bozo show, and we'll see what we can do to get you Jerry Springer tickets. Yeah...that's it...

Merz is probably the best, as they have the most variety. There is a Body Shop right there too, and I really like their shave cream.

The hated Macy's also has an Art of Shaving section near the Merz Apothecary.

As long as you're in the area, try some Clover made coffee at Intelligentsia either on Jackson or near Randolph and Michigan.

the elder Joel

Yes, Lawry's would be good, don't you think, Zeni?:lol:

Afterward, Zeni will give you two tickets to the Bozo show, and we'll see what we can do to get you Jerry Springer tickets. Yeah...that's it...

Smith and Wolinsky's, right there on the river.

I have a story about Bozo, but can only tell in person.

Smith and Wolinsky's, right there on the river.

I have a story about Bozo, but can only tell in person.

YES! One of Chef Han's creations would be more interesting, and INFINITELY more expensive. I'll get this set up with BackpackerX immediately.

"That would be a table for 14...Mr. Zeni, Mr. Gillette, BackpackerX, and 11 of those hot "perfume squirters" you have to walk by in Macy's..."

Again...Expense it...deduct it twice, it's the American Way.

If only this were for business! (the next one might be but not this trip)

Do you think they'd take reservations for a Backpackerx, Zeni, and Mr. Gillette or just hang up the phone? If successful Zeni might have to loose the gun, although who would suspect such a sweet old lady of packing? :biggrin:

If only this were for business! (the next one might be but not this trip)

Do you think they'd take reservations for a Backpackerx, Zeni, and Mr. Gillette or just hang up the phone? If successful Zeni might have to loose the gun, although who would suspect such a sweet old lady of packing? :biggrin:

I somehow have the feeling that Smith and Wallensky have had experience with Zeni AND the gun, (and probably the old lady dress, because when he goes out to a nice place, he always dresses down...not the trampy bar-slut look he cultivates in other areas), but that they'll let him in because of his, uh...connections.

Have a good trip to our city...what else is planned? If you make it up to Great America...OR to the 2nd largest tourist attraction in IL, (Gurnee Mills, the worlds largest outlet mall!) Let me know! HAHAHAHHA I can point you toward the Cheddar Curtain, where Lynchmeister will be duct taped to a street sign, wearing nothing but a Brett Favre jersey....

THAT is reason enough to fly into O'Hare!

Not a ton planned so far. I have a friend in the city and 5 other friends are coming in to have a little get together for 4 days. I've been to Chicago 3 times or so and have seen the touristy stuff so we'll probably just let our city friend show us around and do whatever. Oh, and swim in the pristine waters of Lake Michigan. Then I'd have 2 heads to shave!

Why all the hate for Macy's? Just the typical overpriced issue or something else? We only have the little Macy's department stores here and not the big all encompassing city stores.

I love that the wife and me arent the only Macy haters in Chicago. Why do we? Well one, Fields closed. Two for me is Macy's is not Chicago. It just isnt.

And dagnabbit I needs a cardboard boxed dog now.

Macy's isn't Field's! It's the loss of a Chicago landmark tradition. I can't think of anyone who would come to Chicago to shop at Macy's.

On the other hand, Merz and AOS are concessions within the store. Otherwise, as a lifelong Chicagoan, I wouldn't set foot in the place.

You might think about lunch or dinner at Greektown. I'd recommend Santorini or Costa's.

the old Joel

To heck with the Macy's Merz. If your friends are up for a little road trip, go to the original Merz at 4716 N. Lincoln Ave. It's an old before the turn of the century building. Great shave selection. While your up there and want to try some good food, stop in at Sultan's Market on North Ave. and Hoyne. Good Mediterranean (sp?) and MiddleEastern food. Kind of a walk-in deli style sandwich shop with great prices.
If your holding tight downtown, gf and I have been to Rick Bayliss's La Frontera for Mexican and really enjoyed.
Sadly, one of our favorite breakfast joints when we go to or through Chicago, Leo's Kitchen, at Damon and Division, closed a couple years ago. Small place, and o.k., you had to get past your shoes sticking to the floor and double checking your silverware part, but the menu and food was awesome.

Kevin

I love that the wife and me arent the only Macy haters in Chicago. Why do we? Well one, Fields closed. Two for me is Macy's is not Chicago. It just isnt.

And dagnabbit I needs a cardboard boxed dog now.

+3 brazillian!

Macy's was the last step in the destruction of Marshall Field's, a department store that defined and anchored Chicago for a century and a half. If you can imagine New York without Macy's...that's what we Chicagoans feel about our city without Fields. It wasn't just a shop, but a DESTINATION, a place to "be". A place to take your kids to see the animated windows, to sit on Santa's lap. A place to fill out a quick application for a store credit card, just to get the free box of Frango Mints. A place to get "that year's" Christmas Bear. And, at the root of it, Field's was a fine store. 10-15 years ago sold to the Dayton-Hudson Corporation (Target, etc) and eventually morphed in Macy's. They scrapped the trademark dark green Field's bags that all of us packed our Ravinia food in, and replaced it with "MACY'S" bags! BOOOO!!!!! WHITE MACY'S BAGS! The store looks different inside and all the nice old ladies who ran the registers (Zeni, I think!), some of whom had been there for 40, 50 years or more) are replaced by young, gum-popping..."So..okay, like, is that all, or did you want something else, or is that, like, okay, enought because your total is like $42.99...OMIGOD, I like forgot tax..SOR-RY!!!" clerks who make you wish you'd stopped at the K-Mart in the suburbs instead of State and Madison Streets, "the busiest corner in the world!"

I don't know what to equate it to in other cities, but here's what we Chicagoans feel:

1) NY...take away the statue of Liberty. Tear it down. Buy a plastic Madonna in a bathtub and replace it. That's how we see it.

2) Philadelphia. Take that Liberty Bell and recycle it. Go to Home Depot and buy a cheap doorbell, and put the button where millions of tourists each each year can make it sound like Avon's calling.

3) Washington DC Take out the Smithsonian. Level it. Build a Walmart, a Target, an Applebee's, a Chili's a Best Buy and a Staples on the property.

4) St Louis. Let's replace the Arch with "Golden Arches."

That's our feeling.

Having said that...MERZ'S in Macy's is a good place to make a beeline to. Go in the front doors off state street, work your way slightly to the right and to the SE...behind the perfume section. RUN through the perfume section, so you don't get sprayed!

(This is important! Mr. Gillette once got sprayed with some new exotic female scent last Fall. SWMBO smelled it. "Say, bucko," she snaps, "That's women's perfume on you isn't it!" I looked at the ground. "Yeah...it is." "You were at Macy's...you went to Merz, didn't you??!! Hand it over!!!!" "Yeah," I mumbled..."I just got the one 5 pack of Derbies...okay, well that and a new brush...okay, some T&H soap...well this one cream, but these two little bottles were free samples, too!!")

The Lincoln location is in a fun, interesting neighborhood. I'd suggest BOTH places!!!!

BURNWOOD...how far from Superdawg? DAMN!!! I could go for one of those...I think I'll do it Friday!!!

HOW ABOUT A B&B SUPERDAWG LUNCH ON FRIDAY???

Top Bottom