What's new

Bike Saddle Help

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I just bought a new Specialized Sirrus Disc Sport. I love the bike but the saddle has to go. I have tried putting my Hobson Easy Seat 2 on it, but with the ride position almost closer to a road bike than a hybrid it just won't work. I cannot take the pressure on my perineum and I do want to be on my sit bones.

I was looking at the ISM PR 1.0 or Planet Bikes ARS Saddles. Any of you ride either one or have other ideas?

Thanks

Legion

Staff member
Andy was using this saddle that looks like a crescent moon. He might chime in soon about it.

Legion

Staff member
Personally I use a Brooks b17. Being wider than a lot of the modern saddles, it tends to distribute the weight more evenly.

Legion

Staff member
Not too bad, mostly on the sit bones. There is a little pressure as there is no cut out in the seat, but I never found it uncomfortable. Brooks are the saddle most often used by long distance cyclists, so that says something.

I rode 64 miles on Saturday with this, WTB Pure on my Giant Escape hybrid. It is pretty hard and I wear the padded shorts for anything over 2 hours. I would like to get something that might be just a little more forgiving for that long of a ride.

My stock seat on the Giant I couldn't last more than an hour and a half.

Brooks saddles are the bees knees, but the price and the looks are a turnoff to most. That being said, once you get past the break-in period, which is partially the saddle and partially you, they're surprisingly comfortable.

Bike shorts are a plus, but they're not a fix for a poorly adjusted saddle.

Having worked in bike shops for a number of years, I would say that the most important thing is to find someone who knows how to adjust a saddle properly. The proverbial "best saddle in the world" is useless if it's tilted a degree or two too far. Small changes make a big difference.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Brooks saddles are the bees knees, but the price and the looks are a turnoff to most. That being said, once you get past the break-in period, which is partially the saddle and partially you, they're surprisingly comfortable.

Having worked in bike shops for a number of years, I would say that the most important thing is to find someone who knows how to adjust a saddle properly. The proverbial "best saddle in the world" is useless if it's tilted a degree or two too far. Small changes make a big difference.

I have a Brooks on my road bike and it took some breaking in but now it's perfect

I do not have a problem spending the money for a Brooks. My Specialized is enough of a hybrid it will take a wider seat than what came on it. I like the size of the B67 but my fear is I would have to get more upright which would cause me to give up bike control by raising the bars.

I do not have a problem spending the money for a Brooks. My Specialized is enough of a hybrid it will take a wider seat than what came on it. I like the size of the B67 but my fear is I would have to get more upright which would cause me to give up bike control by raising the bars.

Your best bet is to be fitted by a local shop, this is what I did when I got my rode bike, was a little pricey for the service which did not include any parts but well worth the expense, you would be amazed at what difference 1/2" here and there makes in the ride.

Take a look at Selle SMP if you've got problems with pressure on your man parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

I ended up trying a couple different saddles and then bought a Brooks B17. I have maybe 100 miles on it. I have made a few minor position tweaks, the biggest was dropping the nose maybe a 1/2 inch. I had one spot where I was getting a little pressure and that little drop on the nose took it away. I know I have a lot more miles to get it good and broken in, but the thing I love about it even now is you can slide around on it, and it never really becomes uncomfortable no matter where you sit.

I am Now a Brooks believer.

I just bought a new Specialized Sirrus Disc Sport. I love the bike but the saddle has to go. I have tried putting my Hobson Easy Seat 2 on it, but with the ride position almost closer to a road bike than a hybrid it just won't work. I cannot take the pressure on my perineum and I do want to be on my sit bones.

I was looking at the ISM PR 1.0 or Planet Bikes ARS Saddles. Any of you ride either one or have other ideas?

Thanks
Go to Richardson Bike Mart and get a seat pressure test done by their bike fitter, Dynamic bike fit and he'll show you which saddle fits you best.
Best thing I ever did for my bum!

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Go to Richardson Bike Mart and get a seat pressure test done by their bike fitter, Dynamic bike fit and he'll show you which saddle fits you best.
Best thing I ever did for my bum!

Right now I am really digging the Brooks but I will keep that in mind. I like Plano Cycling and Fitness or Performance Bike in Farmers Branch better than RBM so I forget about them sometimes.

Thanks

Finding the best saddle is almost as hard as finding the best girl for a wife. There are so many to choose from and sometimes only a long courtship with your saddle will reveal a true match and your friends favourites usually won't work for you. You can narrow your search a little bit by finding out if you like flat/curved, narrow/wide, long nose/short, etc. but even that can have some exceptions. Personally I've found that if a saddle is extremely uncomfortable when initially sitting on it then it won't get any better when riding for long periods of time. If you have some cycling buddies ask if you can at least sit on their saddle for a minute or go for a ride. Take note of the shape of each saddle to narrow your search. Any of the seat fitting guides will help give you a general idea but not necessarily find the best one for you. Good luck!!!

Top Bottom