What's new

how much would you/ have you spent on a vintage razor.

Maybe a nice discussion topic

What's the most you have or are willing to spend on a vintage straight razor.
My personal rule is that I never spend more than 10 € (about 11$ currently) on a used straight. Most of my razors are vintage ones. I regularly visit flee markets and thrift stores looking for vintage shaving equipment (both straight and de)
but never wanted to spend more than than amount. My logic being that most do need work and care to get them up to working condition, and a new dovo can be had for 65€ so for me any more than a 10 bill is really overkill. Most of the razors I have acquired were even 5€ or less and most of them turned out to be great pieces. Unless that I happen to come across the most interesting and rare piece I might reconsider but otherwise it just seems you're spending too much for not enough return to me. so what's your limit?

What eouldI pay?? Not much. Vintage is in so many instances a churched up word for "old" and/or "worn out".
An old razor might have an attractive blade made of great old world steel. It also may probably have ratty old scales, a wonky grind, uneven wear, loose pin or myriad other issues. I'd rather spend $125-$150 for a modern razor with zero "character". I can supply that myself for free.

One exception. I think I would maybe like a Swedish Helijstrand (is that correct?) Mk II or 32 or something. Probably get Doc to rescale it and appreciate the classic appearance. But as far as anything other? Most doubtful.

What eouldI pay?? Not much. Vintage is in so many instances a churched up word for "old" and/or "worn out".
An old razor might have an attractive blade made of great old world steel. It also may probably have ratty old scales, a wonky grind, uneven wear, loose pin or myriad other issues. I'd rather spend $125-$150 for a modern razor with zero "character". I can supply that myself for free.

One exception. I think I would maybe like a Swedish Helijstrand (is that correct?) Mk II or 32 or something. Probably get Doc to rescale it and appreciate the classic appearance. But as far as anything other? Most doubtful.
that's of course the downside of online shopping. with vintage pieces you can't get a proper look and feel of the razor and see and feel the potential of the razor

I am in the same boat as most.....prefer to pay as little as possible (10-20$ range) such as my most recent but have payed way way more for one i just had to have....lol.

I think that's what makes this so fun, like all hobbies....sometimes you look and score something cheap ...other times...well lets just say, if my wife reads this ...just almost as cheap....lol.

There are only a couple razors, SR, SE or DE that I ponied up more than $15 for. I would be more inclined to spend top dollar on a nice straight, but even then once it hits $50 it takes it out of the realm of fun hobby to serious buyer, which I normally ain't (aren't?).

I want a Case Red Imp real bad, but the ones I've seen <$100 have been shabby. I want a restorable blade and nice scales (the scales are what attract me to the Imp)

These are Morris Imps. They were more than $10.
$SAM_0053_zps5eaad9a7.jpg
Like many things in life, you get what you pay for.

The most I've spent is around $50 shipped for a NOS shave-ready straight with a very good reputation. I generally prefer to spend less. I've never spent more than $15 shipped on a DE or SE. However, I don't currently possess the skill or equipment to hone and make a bargain vintage find shave-ready. Having a vintage straight razor honed with shipping runs $20-25, and then I'd still need to spend the time to polish it. With that in mind, I find that $50 for a shave-ready SR is within what I consider reasonable, as I figure I'm only really paying $25 for the razor and a piece of history.

Also, I'd generally rather have a vintage razor instead of a new one. I like the sense of history and tradition of purchasing something with history and tradition behind it.

The most I've spent has been 100. I have a pretty narrow area of collection and they usually go for far less than that, but when I see a prime example, I pretty much have to bid to win.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
There are only a couple razors, SR, SE or DE that I ponied up more than $15 for. I would be more inclined to spend top dollar on a nice straight, but even then once it hits $50 it takes it out of the realm of fun hobby to serious buyer, which I normally ain't (aren't?).

I want a Case Red Imp real bad, but the ones I've seen <$100 have been shabby. I want a restorable blade and nice scales (the scales are what attract me to the Imp)
Sorry for going OT but how do you tell if it's made by case?

After searching almost 5 years in all the antique stores, I paid $67.50 for a Wade & Butcher. I then turned around and sent it out to have it restored and it came back beautiful&#8230; For me to buy a vintage, it has to be one I have been looking for. But for a new razor, I will pay whatever is left after I paid the bills, haha...

Apologies if this conversation is only between SR's. I bought a like-new adjustable fat boy last year for $50 and found some others at the flea market that were between $4-10 each. I kinda want a new/sealed black beauty long handle but I'm not going to pay the normal $100 asking price, some are selling for more than $200 on ebay right now and I have no idea why.

Sorry for going OT but how do you tell if it's made by case?

Good question. Tang will be stamped, or maybe not. Scales are red, or another color. Should have the Red Imp logo on the scales, maybe. If you know Case you know the name has been sold, resold, etc. The Red Imp, I believe, started under another brand, and may have been made by even another firm after one of Cases sales. I have found several in shops, you could build a collection of the variations I've seen, and even poor ones pull in excess of $100. I want one clearly stamped Case, and with the logo on red scales. Even then I'm not 100% sure I would buy it unless it was in very good condition

I have paid pretty handsomely for some pristine Dubl Ducks, Filarmonicas and Dorkos, but they were in as good condition as new production razors. If I could find a W&B 9/8 FBU with a blade that is whole (scales wouldn't matter), I would be inclined to drop some large change. They go for big bucks even when the blades are worn out.

When scouring flea markets or thrift stores I find that you can really Identify 3 kinds of sellers.
1 the people who have no Idea what they are selling. Usually you can get lucky with these people and pick up real bargains
2 people who think they know what they are selling. These are usually the people that try to ask ridiculous prices for a razor just because they believe it has historical value.
3 the (pseudo) antique dealers. They can usually swing either way depending on the state of the object but I've bought from some of these people before and they are mostly honest.

I personally don't believe that a razor has any "historical" value unless it's an extremely old one or belonged to some one famous. It was after all a day to day useable item

I think the most I've paid for a vintage straight was in the high $30's, but most are in the low $20s or sometimes less. The vintage straights that I enjoy the most were the ones that cost the least.

Top Bottom