What's new

Question to an experienced Muhle R41 user

Hi. I have just bought a Muhle R41 razor. I use it with Astra Superior Platinum. Usually i shave with my Mekur 34C HD which gives smooth and good results.

So to the question: Should i expect some tugging from the R41 since it is a very aggressive razor opposite to the Merkur?

My prep is very thorough and my cream is smooth, slick and protective. The reason for my question is that i get a very close shave, a little irritation on my neck (due to «userfault») but all in all a very good result BUT i experience some tugging when shaving and i wonder if this is to be expected with an 'angry' razor like the Muhle R41?

Thanks in advance for all feedbacks :)

Ohh, sorry to forget: It is the newest version of the R41 (prodused after 2013)
So maybe the Astra blade is a bad combo for this Razor?

It can be a little tuggy at times. Most folks prefer a steep angle with it and scrape the whiskers off. Takes a sharp blade to get a way with that, try a Silver Blue, or 7 O'clock yellow, or Personna Blue, or ?

It's the blade that might tug, not the razor. I find that the Gillette Yellows, PolSilver SI or Personna Reds work better in this razor than the Astra SP, but blade choice is ultimately a very personal thing. And it works better with a slightly steeper angle. It took me a while to feel really comfortable with it, but it's a fine razor once you have the measure of it.

I see, so i guess i just have to start all over again in the quest to find a good blade for the R41? I thought once i found a good blade for my beard i could just keep on using the same manufacture regardless of razor brand... I admit, i was wrong

If you feel tugging using any razor, increase the speed at which you move the razor and set the blade angle shallower.

I am always giving the Mick Mantra... Rapid short cutting strokes, not long slow mowing ones.

I have a 2011 vintage R41 and the Astra SS (blue package) seem to work just fine. Gillette Silver Blue, Feather, Vokshod, and PolSilver , Gillette 7 O'Clock (black) are also a good fit in that razor.

Personna, Derby, Dorco, Merkur, Zaza, Trig, and to a lesser extent Rockwell don't work (for me) as well. Actually the Rockwells are alright but don't last more than a couple shaves TOPS!

Many others out there are OK, but no great shake....

I use a Feather in my '13r 41. It shaves well, very efficient. I dont know if its a tugging sensation, but its a different feel as its more aggresive and I think its the flatter blade angle and more blade exposure, especially if you are using a a smoother razor. You have to take your time with the r41 anyway no matter what blade you use, why not try a Feather, just go slow. For me the Feather is the best blade for the 41.

OK, i will try Feather next shave. I will also try a steeper angle, as recomended. And short,fast strokes (as i usually do) Hopefully this will reduce the tugging sensation.

Ohh, sorry to forget: It is the newest version of the R41 (prodused after 2013)
So maybe the Astra blade is a bad combo for this Razor?
[MENTION=103029]mc57[/MENTION] Gentlemen, i feel a bit embarrassed. I bought the Muhle R41 from Ebay
(Nice price) The seller did not specify year of manufacture (2011 or 2013) nor did i ask because i assumed that this brand new razor sold in 2016 should be post 2013 production year... But guess what: When i checked with my electronic measure device i found out the top head is 18.8 mm, which means this razor is 2011 (or pre)

No wonder why this devil is so incredible aggressive :)
I pardon to [MENTION=103029]mc57[/MENTION] for being so inaccurate in my respond.

Never the less: All your feedback and advices will apply for the 2011 model as well... or am i wrong?

You bet! I noticed the tugging right away. I'm actually glad i didn't know this razor was pre 2011 or 2011, because i read a review about a gentleman that got a horrible permanent scare from slicing a bit of his skin with this razor. (If you belive everything you read)

No problema at all Mach3_man.
You are a lucky guy cause 2011 R41 are hard to find.
It's the most agressive.
I recomend Iridium Super, Gillette, Rapira Platinum Lux.

It's the blade that might tug, not the razor. I find that the Gillette Yellows, PolSilver SI or Personna Reds work better in this razor than the Astra SP, but blade choice is ultimately a very personal thing. And it works better with a slightly steeper angle. It took me a while to feel really comfortable with it, but it's a fine razor once you have the measure of it.
And just to be clear, steeper angle means handle closer to the face. I got that wrong when i started.

This.
And i use a silver/blue. But i dont have the 2011. Dont be afraid. It will only bite you if you let it.:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Just use it with whatever blade you have. Results with blades vary for each person. The main thing to remember with this razor is use a very light touch. NO pressure and guide the razor. It delivers a great shave and is very efficient. It does "feel" a bit rougher on the face (I can feel the blade of my 2013 R41 more than any other DE I've used). I don't get aftershave burn from it, but I definitely know I'm using an aggressive razor.

You'll get the hang of it. Nothing to fear, just learn what blade works for you and remember it's aggressive so go easy with it.

Report back to us and let us know how it goes :)

I just didn't have the guts to start with a Feather blade :)
@Mach3_man you're not alone and I can understand why we can't face up to Freddy Krueger with a feather blade using the R41 v2013, when Freddy is staring at you with fear. Any way the blade I used on my R41 v2013 are the Polsilver Super Iridium, Perma-Sharp Super, Gillette Silver Blue & Voskhod.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Related to this post, I just tried the Muhle R41 Twist and found it even more comfortable than its predecessors (2011 and 2013, or whatever designations they are going by these days). I actually was using a steeper angle with the other R41s but went shallower with this one, and that reduces the tugging (along with the fast, light strokes that Mick and others suggest). It's my favorite of the R41 line.

I've definitely noticed tugging with my R41 (2013). I didn't care for it and only have about four shaves with it. I like the "short and fast" advice, I need to give it another go to see if it helps. Thanks for the tips!

Cheers
Mike

Top Bottom