What's new

Bear encounter!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
"BEAR ALERT: USE CAUTION WHILE OUT RUNNING, WALKING OR RELAXING. BEARS OBSERVED IN THE BAY CLIFFS AREA. USE CAUTION."

It's an uprising I tells ya...an uprising.

"Boss! Boss! The bears are revolting!"

"Well, they may be a bit smelly but I wouldn't call them revolting."

When hiking in grizzly country, it's advisable to carry a small bell attached to your clothing or gear so as to alert any grizzlies in the vicinity of your approach, and to carry pepper spray in the event of an aggressive encounter.

It's also helpful to know how to recognize grizzly bear sign, especially scat. Fortunately, grizzly scat is easily identifiable by the presence of bells and the odor of hot peppers.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This group of black bears has caused mild panic, in their novelty. They were seen behind the church, in this neighborhood and that.

Several countywide alerts and and news stories, home videos etc. I hope they have moved on, or at least out of my hiking area- and town.

AA

so...I just joined so this will be my first post, this topic caught my eye. Went solo hiking in Kentucky this summer, here is a pic of my campsite. Had a bear go walking right through my site at 2:00 in the morning, about 15 feet from my hammock!

$rrg.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
so...I just joined so this will be my first post, this topic caught my eye. Went solo hiking in Kentucky this summer, here is a pic of my campsite. Had a bear go walking right through my site at 2:00 in the morning, about 15 feet from my hammock!

View attachment 690386

It's on-topic. Welcome aboard geckho! What kind of hammock camping rig are we seeing there?

and yeah- you didn't get a photo of the bear either, I'm guessing? :lol:

AA

Nope, no photo..I was positioned between two small streams, so I imagine I was in his path...it was dark and I stayed in the hammock....I was just hoping he would ignore me!

That is a Hennessy Expedition with an Enlightened Equipment underquilt.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Currently looking at Hennessys and customs for a next hammock ... Whoopie slings, Amsteel and bunch of other stuff I'm trying to learn.

Want to cook some Vietnamese pho on the next hike. Thinking how NOT to invite a family of bears.

Sure it will smell good! Cook fast, eat fast, bury trash and move, I guess.

AA

Bear attacks, especially grizzly attacks, are increasing.

I've recently read of a griz that had run right through a cloud of OC spray to maul a victim. I wouldn't risk my life to bear spray alone. There is conflicting research about efficacy of bear spray. Some call research of bear spray efficacy as junk science.

I've hunted throughout the Rockies, and I've fished extensively throughout the Eastern Sierra where there are more black bears than trout; well, maybe an overstatement, but there are huge and aggressive black bears in the Eastern Sierra. I've seen bears in the Eastern Sierra that would have easily gone better than 450 pounds. That's because they have endless supplies of food. Bears raid fish cleaning stations.

Avoidance is the best survival strategy. So far, it's worked for me.

A game warden friend gave me stark reality of bear encounters: were I to have an encounter with a bear, whether I live or die is up to the bear, not me...unless I carry a gun capable of killing a bear. If a bear runs away, it's his choice. If it attacks, its his choice. Without a suitable weapon, in a bear encounter life or death is up to the bear.

I have no desire to kill a bear. I have even greater desire to prevent a bear from killing my kids and me.

My advice, if it's legal, is to carry a suitable handgun in case avoidance is not an option.

No human is going to win a fight with any bear.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Bear attacks, especially grizzly attacks, are increasing.

I've recently read of a griz that had run right through a cloud of OC spray to maul a victim. I wouldn't risk my life to bear spray alone. There is conflicting research about efficacy of bear spray. Some call research of bear spray efficacy as junk science.

I've hunted throughout the Rockies, and I've fished extensively throughout the Eastern Sierra where there are more black bears than trout; well, maybe an overstatement, but there are huge and aggressive black bears in the Eastern Sierra. I've seen bears in the Eastern Sierra that would have easily gone better than 450 pounds. That's because they have endless supplies of food. Bears raid fish cleaning stations.

Avoidance is the best survival strategy. So far, it's worked for me.

A game warden friend gave me stark reality of bear encounters: were I to have an encounter with a bear, whether I live or die is up to the bear, not me...unless I carry a gun capable of killing a bear. If a bear runs away, it's his choice. If it attacks, its his choice. Without a suitable weapon, in a bear encounter life or death is up to the bear.

I have no desire to kill a bear. I have even greater desire to prevent a bear from killing my kids and me.

My advice, if it's legal, is to carry a suitable handgun in case avoidance is not an option.

No human is going to win a fight with any bear.

For a man with only 9 posts, you speak a lot of truth!

We've had two local attacks. Though black bears have always been in the community - to some extent - they are becoming problematic what with killing dogs, knocking down trash cans, eating bird feeders etc.

County commission is having a meeting but to do with funds for bear-proof trash cans. Great. Better not raise my taxes.

Will say, it's gotten hard to relax in the woods. Feel like I have to have eyes in the back of my head when I go off-trail, and like Arbolito said, if that dam thing wants to knock you down and stand on you, it's up to the bear.

AA

Good Morning, Ad Astra,

Ultimately, we're responsible for our survival. While I'd never kill a bear merely to kill it, I sure as heck ain't about to allow Yogi to fill his picnic basket with my kids and me.

I'll always practiced avoidance. But where that ain't an option, I have t be prepared to protect my kids; lives and me. I can't save my kids' lives if I'm dead.

I've been all over that Rockies and Eastern Sierra. I've seen some huge bears. So far, our primary strategy of avoidance has been successful. But I'm aware that we could cross paths with a bear. Eastern Sierra bears eat trout. If we were to cross paths with a bear, and were we smelling of trout, a bear might confuse us for its dinner.

In my opinion, it's child endangerment to takes kids into bear country without suitable means of protecting them.

BTW, I fear mountain lions more than bears. You can't hear 'em coming. Were the back of my neck in one's mouth, I'd have about another second of living.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's troubling to think spray may or may not be effective. Don't really want to carry a large caliber hunting handgun's weight. I always have *something* but it's anti-BG, not anti-bear. (no large cats here- yet!)

I spent a few solo hours in those woods Sunday, and when I finally pitched a hammock, it was in a large clearing filled with crunchy dry leaves. THEN, head was on a swivel- just never stopped looking. Don't want to snack or cook, but sometimes I'm out there all day ... the woods are a big place; yet these animals can smell, what eight times better than a dog? Something like that. And as indicated; if it wants your food, it's going to take it- or there's going to be a conflict. It's a problem.

AA

It's troubling to think spray may or may not be effective. Don't really want to carry a large caliber hunting handgun's weight. I always have *something* but it's anti-BG, not anti-bear. (no large cats here- yet!)

I spent a few solo hours in those woods Sunday, and when I finally pitched a hammock, it was in a large clearing filled with crunchy dry leaves. THEN, head was on a swivel- just never stopped looking. Don't want to snack or cook, but sometimes I'm out there all day ... the woods are a big place; yet these animals can smell, what eight times better than a dog? Something like that. And as indicated; if it wants your food, it's going to take it- or there's going to be a conflict. It's a problem.

AA

I carry a Ruger SP101 in .357 mag when I'm out elk hunting in CO (in addition to my hunting rifle), and while I'd prefer a 44, I think I'm reasonably well covered with heavy cast bullets (Buffalo Bore 185 grain) for black bear. That's a pretty light combination. Another option would be a scandium frame revolver in 44 mag. I think Smith's is around 29 ounces. Why carry a handgun when I have a 300 win mag with me?.. because I probably won't have time to deploy the 300 win mag, especially with a scope on it. I do carry spray as well, and I'll let wind conditions and the bear's behavior guide my use of both.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have kept my mouth shut on similar threads, but it may be time to sound off.

I have never been backpacking, just camping, but with the things I have heard on keeping weight to a minimum...like cutting the handles off of your toothbrush, etc. (it must be a backpacking club thing) you may want to rethink things about weight.

If you are going into territory where there are dangerous wildlife species around, and you are not willing to carry the extra "weight" of something to protect yourself or others...DON'T GO!

That is THEIR TERRITORY...not yours.

Sorry if that offends, but that's just my thinking. My .41 mag. is pretty easy to carry with a good belt and holster.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
No worries, Mr. Mike. :001_smile

I think the black bears in my area are a nuisance, and with a reported cub, a possible danger. However I never hike unarmed and even if it's a lowly 9mm or .38 Spc., the ammo will be the best.

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Whew...that's a relief. I'd hate for something to happen to one of our members.

Don't know if you've seen my thread in Shooting Sports about hogs tearing up ground about 30 yards from my house. In my thinking a passel of feral hogs is more dangerous than a black bear due to their unpredictable nature...with the exception of a Momma bear with a cub. :scared:

No worries, Mr. Mike. :001_smile

I think the black bears in my area are a nuisance, and with a reported cub, a possible danger. However I never hike unarmed and even if it's a lowly 9mm or .38 Spc., the ammo will be the best.

AA
That's fine for black bear. I carry my 9 when bow hunting. I just don't want to get stuck in a tree. A guide I am friends with uses firecrackers to scare them off bait if necessary. I think the grizzlies require the big bores. They just get angrier till they die, black bears are runners.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was considering carrying something in 7.62x25. It's considered a round that "over penetrates," saw where it went through 72" of ballistic gel. Not a drawback if shooting point blank at a multi hundred pound bruin.

Bottleneck pistol cartridges rarely jam, too.

Downside: bullet weight isn't exactly a bear stopper, but it's so dang LOUD, and muzzle-blasty, would be a plus.

AA

Top Bottom