What's new

Rolls Refurb?

I've just recently purchased a rolls razor and love it so much that I have bought another. I am wanting them to get professionally restored and honed so that they can be as close to factory as possible but still being 100% authentic. Not wanting to replace anything, just bring everything up to working order and as best condition as possible so that they will last another 100 years. They are in great condition already, I just want every nook and cranny dealt with.

Does anyone know where I can find someone to do this for me that is reputable? Thanks!

I don't know of anyone who refurbishes Rolls razors, simply because it is easy to find them in pristine condition for next to nothing.

As for the blades, many services that hone straight razors also do Rolls blades. I believe that there is a forum member or two that does them, but I don't know who. Perhaps someone will jump in.

Once the blade has a decent edge the hone and strop in the case will do an acceptable job of maintaining it.

--Bob

I have a Rolls Razor that is in very good condition, got box and shipper and even the original bill of sale and instructions. I think it cost me $40, which I now realize is way too much to pay for such a thing, even in mint condition. The dealer had two others, but this was the best out of the three.

Sadly, even in such good condition, the hone is cracked right in the middle and the strop is dried out and cracked.

I've been looking for replacement parts for about 7 years and haven't found a source. You would think that somebody, somewhere would jump on this opportunity to serve a niche market, but if such a person exists, I haven't found them.

Most Rolls Razors I've seen in antique stores have the same problems ... and a lot of them are missing the blades and handles, too. Generally, you have to buy 3 or 4 of them in order to put together one usable kit with a workable hone and strop.

I'm not too worried about it. I see the Rolls as a great collectible piece, but I don't see it becoming a regular part of my shave routine. Even if I got a working one, I would use it once or twice to test it out, then put it away in my collectibles drawer.

I've adopted the idea of use along the same lines as my SR. I'll bring them out on occasion when I have a nice window in which to relax and take time indulging and pampering myself with it, and in part when I'm feeling nostalgic or "classy". It has some light surface rust, the leather strop has a little peel to it, and but the hone is in great condition from what I can tell. It was all the pieces, but its just really dirty in the teeth of the mechanism and all around needs a good cleaning. I'd rather pay a little and have someone really familiar with them to give it a good once over and remove the light surface rust spots. One being close the edge of the blade, so I'm wanting my blade to have a little attention aside from just sharpening as well. The pictures of my Rolls are on my profile if any cares to investigate and give me suggestions.

`I recently stumbled across a Rolls Razor (and purchased it of course). I'm honestly not even sure if this one has ever been used. The box is in great condition and it even came with instructions and the original razor blade sleeve.

I'm curious, what is the value of these razors? I'd say that the one I have is in near mint condition.

Photos on the way....

[MENTION=20078]KeepsItClean[/MENTION] - I think you and I are in the same boat, I LOVE the look and everything that comes with a rolls. I have NO idea how they are not selling for more, especially since they are no longer making them, they are like the missing like between SR and DE, and it was made in a time were people took pride in their work and attention to detail was used religiously. Everything about them just screams "dapper". But anyway, there are some that are pricing them high on ebay, but you can still find very good or near mint conditions for anywhere from $30-$60. If yours is everything you say it is, then I think retail would be $60ish. But I value mine higher than that as part of my collection and love them. I was told that if you pay any more than what they were selling for when they were new, then you've absolutely overpaid. I hope this helps.

OK... despite being considered to be part of the Millennial generation, I can't upload photos. Can someone help with that?

When you are on your profile page, look all the way to the right, you'll see a block that says "Edit Gallery Block". Click that then scroll down and on your left you'll see a link that says "Your Photos&Albums". Click that and it should be self-explanatory from there.

When you are on your profile page, look all the way to the right, you'll see a block that says "Edit Gallery Block". Click that then scroll down and on your left you'll see a link that says "Your Photos&Albums". Click that and it should be self-explanatory from there.

Well I uploaded the photos into my gallery on my profile but I haven't figured out how to insert them to this post. I emailed Joel (the admin) for help...

I'm getting a strange error message. Not sure what's going on...

Here's what Consumer's Reports said about the Rolls in November of 1938:

$rolls-nov-1938.jpg

Aw, thats a little disheartening. But I like the look and nostalgia of it all so much, that I won't mind learning to strop and hone it outside of its case, once in a while to keep a keen edge.

Top Bottom