What's new

New Lather Bowl

I spent all day on this one. Figured maple with a technique using aniline dyes that enhances the figuring of the wood. It took four different coats on the outside, then I hollowed & sanded the inside and four more coats, with time to dry in between each. It's probably not for everyone but I'm digging it even though it has an inclusion that didn't show until I roughed the blank to size. It also opened the door for another project: a matching brush! :thumbup:

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 281
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 274
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 276
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 279
That's a beautiful bowl Jay! A matching brush would definitely be fitting. Since you know how to turn pens, you could also easily make a matching razor handle.

That looks great. I have so many turning projects on my list of things to build once I find the lathe I'm looking for.

I think it looks great thanks for sharing, please post your brush when done. I dig looking at the projects from the craftsmen here at B&B.

Thanks everyone! I'm very happy with how the dyeing turned out.

Beautiful. Dimensions?

Small - 4.5" x 2" with an inside depth of 1.5" to allow for 1/4" thickness and the 1/4" recess for the chuck. I leave the recess so I can always rechuck in case of repair or if it just needs shined up. I'm small, (5' 3") and this fits my hand very comfortably.

Top Bottom