What's new

2016/17 English Premier League/ Champion's League season

A little late, but I remembered today that I had yet to start a thread for the new season. This is always a fun thread for me. I enjoy talking with the football fans among us about who you are supporting, and your thoughts throughout the season.

Swans. First week's result looks better after the second week but yesterday was rough. Not enough quality touches in Hull's third.

As a Man Utd fan, I'm looking for us to improve and get into the top 3 whilst playing attractive attacking football, and watching the scoucers have a woeful season :001_smile

As a Leicester fan, I am definitely NOT expecting a repeat of last year's magic! I hope we will be able to achieve a top six finish and a decent run in the CL, but it will be difficult with the extra games, and without Kanté. However, Vardy and Mahrez are staying, with the latter showing signs in yesterday's game against Arsenal that he is returning to form. The opening-day defeat to Hull will have given us a kick up the backside as well. So I hope we will be challenging for European places, but as we saw last season, football is an unpredictable game.

I've started to feel bad for Leicester, they've had great success and well done to them, but football fans latch on to popular music of the time when their teams are playing well and winning things. I fear Leicester will forever be link with Justin Beiber!!! Yikes!

I've started to feel bad for Leicester, they've had great success and well done to them, but football fans latch on to popular music of the time when their teams are playing well and winning things. I fear Leicester will forever be link with Justin Beiber!!! Yikes!
I'm a Leicester fan and I have no idea what you're on about! What am I missing here?

I'm a Leicester fan and I have no idea what you're on about! What am I missing here?

I was talking tongue in cheek so to speak, but I'm assuming you don't get it due to the Foxes only recently tasting the sweetness of success.

Whenever football clubs achieve great things, their supporters latch onto popular songs of the time to remind them in later years of those successful campaigns. A good example for you, I'm a Nottingham Forest supporter and we still sing "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" and "Mull of Kintyre" from our glory days (yes, they were a LONG time ago now).

Mr Beiber had "Sorry", "What do you Mean", "Love Yourself" which made him the number one artist in the UK for the season. I hope for your sanity that the supporters in the kop latch onto a different artist when they sing of the glory of last season.

I watched the Manchester Derby this weekend (NBCSN still does a great broadcast job, BTW), and was completely impressed by City and their style of play. Debruyne was unbelievable, and the way that ManU left him alone in space just made no sense. 1 goal and two shots off the post were impressive. I really liked Guardiola's possession oriented attack as well. ManU adapted a bit, but seemed a step behind and outclassed talentwise. They would have been better off with Rashford for the whole game.

Hey, gang. I'm a Pep fan through and through. Have enjoyed his managerial career very much and am excited to see the City version. They already look better to me than at any point under Pellegrini. I'm excited to see how they fare in CL tomorrow against Monchengladbach. I also very much enjoy Barcelona, and I'll bring them up in the CL context of their 7-0 ultra beat-down of Celtic. i'm not sure Brendan Rodgers knows what he's gotten himself into, but several of those goals were silly good. The Iniesta volley, the Suarez spin and volley, those guys are awesome(I know, they lost to new boys Alaves in La Liga, but that created the impetus for their mid-week obliteration of the wee hoops).

City give a clinic in their CL opener. The change in Sterling is unbelievable, he looks like the player you would pay $50mil for all of a sudden. I'm calling it, City wins the Premier League this year and will at least be in the semi's of CL. Who's got a take on how Pep handled Joe Hart? I think it was the right call, but I've never been enamored of Hart's abilities. I wouldn't put him in the world top 10 let's say. But I also wasn't a City fan before Pep, so I can understand there may be some feelings of loyalty that have been undermined, possibly.

Very pleased with the result and performance in Leicester's first-ever CL match. Brugge were poor and gifted us all three goals, but we created chances and looked a bit more like the Leicester of old for the first time this season. There will be tougher tests to come, but this was an encouraging way to kick off the campaign. Mahrez hasn't been in his best form of late, but maybe his brilliant free kick will give him a boost for the match on Saturday.

City give a clinic in their CL opener. The change in Sterling is unbelievable, he looks like the player you would pay $50mil for all of a sudden. I'm calling it, City wins the Premier League this year and will at least be in the semi's of CL. Who's got a take on how Pep handled Joe Hart? I think it was the right call, but I've never been enamored of Hart's abilities. I wouldn't put him in the world top 10 let's say. But I also wasn't a City fan before Pep, so I can understand there may be some feelings of loyalty that have been undermined, possibly.

Claudio Bravo's goalkeeping against United was pretty embarrassing. Based on one match, I can't say that's an upgrade over Hart.

I am a Chelsea Fan so I am looking forward to the fresh season. I think last year was great for the league if not my team and it really shook things up. Hopefully this year will be just as exciting!

Man City is getting that air of invincibility that Chelsea had 2 years ago. I'm super impressed with DeBruyne's ability to consistently dominate play.

I remember going to see England U-21 team play France U-21 many years ago in Nottingham. That night France batter England, a young winger named Obertan ran the match (Man U later bought him and ruined him) and if it wasn't for Joe Hart then England would have been slaughtered, he made save after save, and his positioning was brilliant. I think what ruined Hart as money and fame too young, and he wasn't managed well enough to shelter him from it. Just a guess.

His form for club and country have been less than brilliant over the past few seasons. Perhaps this year in Turin will help him get grounded, he has the talent.

As for Sterling, I'm still not convinced, and still don't think he's good enough for a starting role in the national side, yet......

Very pleased with the result and performance in Leicester's first-ever CL match. Brugge were poor and gifted us all three goals, but we created chances and looked a bit more like the Leicester of old for the first time this season. There will be tougher tests to come, but this was an encouraging way to kick off the campaign. Mahrez hasn't been in his best form of late, but maybe his brilliant free kick will give him a boost for the match on Saturday.

That was much better thank goodness. I was seriously starting to look at betting odds on them getting relegated, they need to sort out their league form quickly as they often look lost on the pitch.

Do you think it's due to so many new faces being brought in too quickly, or that one missing midfield force of Kante?

Kante was a brilliant, steady hand in the center of the pitch last year, and it doesn't surprise me that there has been a drop off. ManU was loaded for bear last week, and Mata was fantastic in his first shot to replace Rooney.

Top Bottom