What's new

Vacuum for pet hair

Any of the all-metal vacs should work, particularly an 18" path commercial-grade Royal. If you luck out, and know how to get one fixed, an older Kirby would be good too. Soft-bag Hoover Elite or Elite II actually wouldn't be too bad either, if you can find one working, as far as looking on the cheap is concerned.

Last edited:
Not Kirby. That price not attainable right now.

Depends on how old you want to go, where you look, and how good you are at electrical as far as fixing it up, you can get an older Kirby for anywhere from pennies to outrageous, and if you know how to and can source the parts for it, you can fix it up, and put it right to work.

Example, Sanitronic for $99, just need to know how to fix it up to keep it running for the long haul. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIRBY-VACUU...018446?hash=item51ea1b730e:g:jTgAAOSw8RJXCuDO

Last edited:
Depends on how old you want to go, where you look, and how good you are at electrical as far as fixing it up, you can get an older Kirby for anywhere from pennies to outrageous, and if you know how to and can source the parts for it, you can fix it up, and put it right to work.

Example, Sanitronic for $99, just need to know how to fix it up to keep it running for the long haul. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIRBY-VACUU...018446?hash=item51ea1b730e:g:jTgAAOSw8RJXCuDO

And a Heritage for $125 (can't edit the original post anymore, past the time limit, so just adding onto it through a quote reply). http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIRBY-HERIT...b9db8fa&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=2&sd=351820018446

Looks good, hoping it does the job for a long time.

I loved my Dyson pet hair targeted vacuum but it didn't last long and repair costs became excessive. My dad found an old Vax in a skip which has been a solid workhorse for 8 years+, it does need new filters every few months and takes bags which the Dyson didn't but it does just work. Whilst the cats and rabbits do shed a fair bit the main struggle is wife hair. Not sure if they sell a specific heavy shedding 1-2 foot long human hair vacuum but the Vax is the closest I've found that isn't fussy.

Not sure on model but it look like this:
$vax-vacuum-cleaner.gif

The design also means the handle section can be adjusted to toddler size which provides hours of not overly efficient vacuuming.

We picked up a Shark Professional about a year and a half ago. Still going strong, easy to keep clean and works very well. Bought at Target for $200. I have two dogs as well.

+1(million)

I hate vacuums with a passion. Not the chore of vacuuming, but vacuums themselves.

The Shark Professional changed my vacuuming life. Granted I do not have pets*, but if I was going to make a recommendation it would still be this vacuum because it actually works.

*Unless you count kids.

This [relatively] cheapie roams the floors chasing dogs, dust buffaloes, and fur tumbleweeds:
$IMG_0171.jpg
It does fine maintaining the hardwood floors, just so so on low pile carpets and rugs (which is better than I'm willing to do myself . . . . ).

If you have just a few rugs with hardwood and tile otherwise, you probably don't need a big chunky upright vacuum. Dyson does make a great stick-type vac, but there are some other ones not nearly as expensive that do a good job and won't blow the budget. I found these comparisons that might help? Here's one for the best vacuums for hardwood floors, and some of them are good for pets. Here's another one just about the best vacuums for pet hair.

AAre you mostly carpet or hardwood/tile floors?

I really like my Hoover air cordless, but IMO it's not great on rugs/carpet. Hard wood and tile it's better than a broom in getting the wonderful lab's hairs picked up.

Can't not to agree with you, even if this topic isn't new! I use Hoover Cleaner Max too and I can say that it's a very good vacuum cleaner, it cleans everything very well including the wool from our cats for many years :001_smile And it's not very expensive, for example this model costs less than 200$ ;)

proxy.php

Also as I know some Miele, Bissel and Shark models like on these examples from cozzy have a good quality too and not all of such models are very expensive :) Sebo models are very good too but they're usually not very cheap :confused:

Having kept a pair of Huskies (sometimes three of four) in my home in Miami, I have had to deal with phenomenal amounts of dog hair. At particular times, when I would come home, the floor looked like it had dry ice mist on it. Opening the door would cause waves of fuzz to blow toward the center of the room.

I used a garden-variety shop vac to clean up after the dogs, and a Kirby for normal use. Most of my house was tiled (a blessing for dog owners), but enough of it was carpeted to need a good vacuum. The good thing about the shop vac is that it can be used for your car or other places you can't get a home vacuum into.

if you liked your Eureka vac why not have it repaired? It's going to be a lot cheaper than getting a new vacuum

Top Bottom