What's new

Shaving straight from stone

I have tried it and sure it shaved.

Every single edge improves with a good stropping.

This reminds me of an old staying, "just because you can doesn't mean you should"

Please either go back and read my initial post or don't bother. That is a statement that can not be true base on what each persons definition of better is. I am talking about personal subjective idea of a better shave feeling. Not some perfect apex in a photo. Again what stones did you try it from?
I understand you say you tried it so mabe the saying don't knock it till you try it may not apply to you. Then again maybe it is just you or the stone or razor or combo.
All I can say is from this combo without stropping I got a jnat super coti smooth feel. I did change it up a bit and got it a bit keener and just as smooth with different stone technique and stropping. I won't do it on my harder stones don't like it needs stropping.

Still vintage thuri from Peter hone strop then 3 laps on thuri. Just makes it better.

I am pretty sure someone with eighty years of honing razors as a job and being considered the best in the world could blindly hone me the best edge in the world. Only he would know nothing about me or my skin and that edge may feel awful on my face. I was not asking for people to tell me i am wrong in their eyes. I asked if anyone else had done this and liked the results. I am not highjacking others threads and giving them a hard time about what they like. Cause I would have to jack every thread on synthetis stones pastes and sprays. They make my face feel terrible, but they look so nice in pics.

Apparently I am only waiting on SOL to try the thuri thing and see what he thinks. Other than that this thread just tells me this place has a lot of people who think they know it all and their way is the right way and the rest of us don't know a thing. Trust me i work in a building of close to 800 PHD's and see it all day everyday the egos run rampant. I don't care or play that game and have shown them a thing or two over the years. The world is not black and white it is full of grey and color. I will not tell others I am right, but do want them to look at what they don't see. it maybe something to look at maybe.

Cause I would have to jack every thread on synthetis stones pastes and sprays. They make my face feel terrible, but they look so nice in pics.

Perhaps the problem is that you're using them on your face.

Joking aside, I've never had success in the way you that did, so I can't contribute to this thread constructively. I'm sorry for my earlier post with the pictures.

Stropping for me improves the edge every time i tried it. I have shaved razors straight off many stones including an escher,coti, jnat, cnat ,synths and.never found the edge as good before strop as it was after stropping.

If I recall it seems as if I was getting a slightly better shave right off my Nani12k prior to stropping. It always seemed to suffer a bit after the fact. I don't know if I wasn't doing enough laps on leather or if sprays and pastes were involved in my stropping efforts at the time that could have been another variable undermining the edge. I eventually abandoned that hone though. The best edges I've gotten so far have been off my pocket Oozuku or my Welsh slate followed by linen and leather.

Perhaps the problem is that you're using them on your face.

Joking aside, I've never had success in the way you that did, so I can't contribute to this thread constructively. I'm sorry for my earlier post with the pictures.

That is actually funny.:001_005: Thanks for the apology.

I hope no one took my rants as being mad. I was a little frustrated because I have not experienced this on here before. I just felt like I was :a52:

Top Bottom