What's new

Any advice!

I just purchased a new feather AC DX. There is an undeniable pull to a straight razor that I just can't ignore. I decided to go with the feather as it the moment I don't have the time to be able to properly care for a true straight although if all goes well with the feather I may just take the plunge for weekend shaves when I have ample time. All that being said is there any advice you can give me which will make the transition from a DE to a SR easier. Is there anything different I have to do with my lather etc. Thanks for the help.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Go slow. Be mindful of the laser sharp blade. Be deliberate but don't exert pressure. Enjoy!

No pressure! That means if you can feel the blade on your skin, you need to lighten up. Seriously, Feather AC will teach you to go light. You will be amazed at how lightly you can touch your whiskers and get a great shave. Too much pressure and you will get cut.

Yeah, several of the guys in the journals have done plenty of time on the feather (skypsyd, devonmoonshire, lebrax and more) and have even devote entire blocks of time to "evaluating" them. I can tell you that when people say the blade is SHARP, the mean it. I will also stress that the SHARP blade is a very good thing and not something to fear, I think it has the potential to make learning SR techniques easier.

When starting to use the Feather or anything like it, I think the key really is to place the blade holder flat against your face then rotate the spine out just enough to allow the edge of the blade to make contact with the whiskers. The Feather requires almost no rotation of the spine away from the skin but traditional straights might require much more. You have been told while DE shaving to use no pressure just the weight of the razor and your experience has told you that you still need to add some sort of pressure ...not with the Feather, the Feather can do everything you ever wanted with just its own weight.

My basic suggestions. Use a wetter, slicker later that isn't as thick in volume as you might have used with DE. Keep the spine of the razor close to your face, error on the side of the spine being too close. Make your strokes lite but confident, like a painter painting a delicate line. Consider resting your pinky finger on the tail of the razor (the part furthest from the blade) because this has the effect of lifting pressure you might be putting on the blade (I think devonmoonshire pointed this out). Rinse or wipe the blade often enough to allow you to keep a visual on the blade edge and if/when you feel the blade against your skin back off.

It sounds so scary but you will find it to be very pleasurable and possibly the best shave you've had. You might not even need as many passes.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Which blade are you using? I highly recommend starting out with the pro guard it is a bit more forgiving but is still wicked sharp.

I actually abandoned my Feather AC all together in favor of a regular straight. My subjective opinion was that Feather blades in general whether we're talking DE or shavette blades are just way too sharp for me. But it's quite possible that you'll like yours a lot and get long service from it.

Which blade are you using? I highly recommend starting out with the pro guard it is a bit more forgiving but is still wicked sharp.

:thumbup1:The Feather ACs are capable of fantastic shaves, but are more unforgiving than traditional straights. The pro guard blades are more forgiving starting out, but still provide an excellent shave. I have many straights and still use my SS/DX razors.

Thanks for all of the advice guys, it's really appreciated. I will be starting using the pro guard blades. I have been lusting over Joe Edson straights for some time, especially the shorties. I may have to aquire one for for x-mass. I will let you know how my first shave goes.

So today I got my first shave under my belt with the DX. WOW! it was not of the best shaves I have ever had. I only did a single pass as I was feeling pretty confident, but didn't want to push my luck. The single pass with the DX was better than three with my ATT S1. I did end up with two very tiny weepers but other than that it was really really great. I think it's going to take a bit of time figuring out which grip feels most comfortable and I need to learn how to use of off hand as well, bit this is all part of the journey. I think I will eventually buy a true straight, in particular I would like a Joe Edson kamisori. Thank you everyone for all of you help and everyone in the journals, as I believe it really made the difference between a successful first straight shave and a disaster which could have completely turned me off.

So today I got my first shave under my belt with the DX. WOW! it was not of the best shaves I have ever had. I only did a single pass as I was feeling pretty confident, but didn't want to push my luck. The single pass with the DX was better than three with my ATT S1. I did end up with two very tiny weepers but other than that it was really really great. I think it's going to take a bit of time figuring out which grip feels most comfortable and I need to learn how to use of off hand as well, bit this is all part of the journey. I think I will eventually buy a true straight, in particular I would like a Joe Edson kamisori. Thank you everyone for all of you help and everyone in the journals, as I believe it really made the difference between a successful first straight shave and a disaster which could have completely turned me off.

Good to hear your first straight shave went really well! Just make sure to not let the over confidence get to you or it wint be pretty...lol.

As for JE straights, like all the custom makers that grace this forum they are fantastic...you cant go wrong there.

Excellent! Just barely touching your skin is the way to go with these razors: ZERO pressure is key. Followed by effective skin stretching.

I'm glad the first shave went well.
- No pressure.
- Wet slick lather. Bowl lathering might help. If your lather doesn't feel right, fix it or start over.
- Good lighting.
- Pay attention.
- Stretching.
- Go slow.

This really is a journey. Yesterday I had shave two with the feather. It was honestly a good shave, two passes and a DFS, but I did get some irritation on my lower nech and a few weepers. I struggled with the angle a bit, I wasn't using a shallow enough angle and did get some tugging. I used proraso white pre shave, Saponificio Varesino Tundra Arctica soap and Myrsol f/extra post. All was good except that the soap didn't work well at all, I couldn't get a slick lather no matter what I tried, just an airy fluffy mess. My first shave I used proraso green and the lather was great. Do you guys have any suggestions on which soap, cream, croap creates the slickest lather. I didn't care so much with my DE but the straight demands the slickness and right now I have none.

Thanks again

This really is a journey. Yesterday I had shave two with the feather. It was honestly a good shave, two passes and a DFS, but I did get some irritation on my lower nech and a few weepers. I struggled with the angle a bit, I wasn't using a shallow enough angle and did get some tugging.
Thanks again

Yes, one thing about the Feather DX is that you need to use a more shallow angle than with a normal straight even though the DX blade mimics a quarter hollow/wedge shape. You have come far with a second shave. What you will find is that you can get away with two passes very easily with the DX. Often times, I get away with one pass and touch up. For now I recommend staying with one soap until you learn the DX. Once done, then experiment with other soaps and creams.

Yes, one thing about the Feather DX is that you need to use a more shallow angle than with a normal straight even though the DX blade mimics a quarter hollow/wedge shape. You have come far with a second shave. What you will find is that you can get away with two passes very easily with the DX. Often times, I get away with one pass and touch up. For now I recommend staying with one soap until you learn the DX. Once done, then experiment with other soaps and creams.

Great advise on the soap. I have been using the Feathers for years. The DX folding is my every day razor. I do one pass with a second on my neck only. Great shaves. My traditional straights get used less and less although I occasionally enjoy the ritual.

Stretch well and use no pressure beyond the weight of the blade. When you have a few dozen shaves under your belt, experiment with a slight scything action.

Good luck!

Marty

Top Bottom