What's new

Yerba Mate

We drink mate almost daily at our martial arts school. We drink it unsweetened and all of are yerba has stems.

My personal favorite yerba is Cruz De Malta Boldo y Menta but I also like CBSé with Mountain herbs.

$yerba-cruz-de-malta-boldo-y-menta.jpg

Everyone else in the school prefers Rosamonte or regular Cruz De Malta.

I like to drink mine from a carob, algarrobo, wood mate with a double action bombilla.

$76lr.jpg

$1971_450X480_master_assemblage_01.jpg

I have few different gourds. My favorite looks like this:
proxy.php

I have a beautiful one given to me from a friend from Uruguay but it is way too small.

proxy.php

I also prefer the double action bombilla to the spoon shaped one.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've always been intrigued by yerba mate, but I've never actually had any. It sounds like it's not a difficult thing to find, so I'll have to check it out.

We have one, small gourd that came from a relative. It's very small and obviously was a souvenir sort. When I say "small," I mean like it could hold about a jigger's worth, so I'll need to find something else. It has the spoon sort of bombilla, and I had no idea there are other options.

crash course. i got into in Argentina, its more popular than coffee there. you fill the gourd almost all the way, insert the bombilla, and fill with hot water, drink everything without touching or moving the bombilla, refill, hand to another person or drink yourself. i prefer unsweetened, but some people think its too bitter without some sugar. its very traditional and if you drink it wrong or refuse to drink it, it can be considered an insult. its meant to share with friends and family.

I've always been intrigued by yerba mate, but I've never actually had any. It sounds like it's not a difficult thing to find, so I'll have to check it out.

We have one, small gourd that came from a relative. It's very small and obviously was a souvenir sort. When I say "small," I mean like it could hold about a jigger's worth, so I'll need to find something else. It has the spoon sort of bombilla, and I had no idea there are other options.

An Heath food store might have it..It also comings in tea bags.

Also from what I understand that the countries who use the smaller gourds drink their mate very very hot.

drink everything without touching or moving the bombilla,

Very important to never stir the Mate!

My mate world on etsy has everything you need, plus a samples. I need to get an everyday gourd and bombilla. My friends and I brought back about 15-20 pounds of it when we left Argentina, 4 bags got busted and we used zip lock bags as a replacement, airport security was really interested in us that day.

I have few different gourds. My favorite looks like this:

I have a beautiful one given to me from a friend from Uruguay but it is way too small.

proxy.php

I also prefer the double action bombilla to the spoon shaped one.

Mine is very simular to this one, my sister licked it up from Argentina for me. I really like to stuff, stems and unsweetened although I've not had it in a while, will order some soon.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I just found this thread. I know a ton about yerba mate, and have taken the stuff for the better part of 15 years. Anything you want to know ask away!

I drink mate occasionally but not with any regularity. I don't have a gourd (use a large coffee mug instead) but I do have a proper bombilla. Not silver though.
A former co-worker from Argentina got me into it. He was bringing his gourd to work every day.

Top Bottom