What's new

Twist-up shave stick containers?

Does anyone know of an Australian supplier who sells twist-up shave stick containers? I'd like to get a couple for my Palmolive and Arko sticks to keep things a little less messy. :wink2:

I bought a couple from Maggard Razors (USA) but you have to drill a fairly substantial hole down the middle of the soap stick so you can thread them into the container. Okay if you have a drill and a steady hand and a way of holding the soap stick in place. Otherwise you can grate the soap stick and laboriously load it into the container and tamp it down bit by bit. Not surprisingly I ended up chucking the containers and just grating my sticks and compressing them into empty shave soap and cream tubs I had lying around as it was a lot easier to do and in the end a better way to go in my opinion.

Does anyone know of an Australian supplier who sells twist-up shave stick containers? I'd like to get a couple for my Palmolive and Arko sticks to keep things a little less messy. :wink2:

I used UHU glue sticks after the kids have finished them. Wash them clean and they are fine. You do need to trim down the shave sticks to fit but a small price to pay IMHO.

I gave up on sticks in stick form and now I grate them using one of these.
Self-contained and small and easy to store between uses.
It's marketed as a portion control cheese grater but they don't know what it should really be used for.. turning sticks into pucks.

$jokari-healthy-steps-portion-control-cheese-grater.jpg

What about a Sard Wonder Stick? Bigger than a glue stick and easy to use up before repurposing the tube

What about a Sard Wonder Stick? Bigger than a glue stick and easy to use up before repurposing the tube
While visiting mum yesterday I peeked in her laundry and she uses the Sard WonderStick. Looked to be about the right size so I swiped it. (I will buy her a replacement.) 8^)

Rub it under your arm.

I have several leftover tubes of both Tabac and Trader Joe's underarm sticks.
Neither one of them has come totally clean with just underarm use.
I'm trying to figure out what to do with the crumbs and pieces and smell.

Would microwaving until it melts into one piece and then scraping it out with a spatula be an approved method?
Or should I pour boiling water in it until it is "clean enough" ?
would baking soda and/or vinegar do any good?

I'm sure there are videos somewhere on this topic, but I've never seen them.

Hot water mixed with either baking soda or vinegar (not both, it doesn't end well :blush:) normally does the trick. Just soak for a while and it should come out :thumbsup:

I don't know what the texture of Palmolive is, but I just smash my Arko into a container that used to have an exfoliating scrub in it. You could put it into any kind of tub or bowl container. It takes a little force, but Arko has the texture of very stiff putty. I can fit 3 sticks in the container. I bloom the Arko before the shave to fill the room with the wonderful aroma, and then load for about 90 seconds on a brush. After that, I just face or bowl lather like any other soap.

I don't know what the texture of Palmolive is, but I just smash my Arko into a container that used to have an exfoliating scrub in it. You could put it into any kind of tub or bowl container. It takes a little force, but Arko has the texture of very stiff putty. I can fit 3 sticks in the container. I bloom the Arko before the shave to fill the room with the wonderful aroma, and then load for about 90 seconds on a brush. After that, I just face or bowl lather like any other soap.
If I wanted a puck I would buy a puck. I have pucks of soap, I also have tubes of creams, but I have some sticks too. Some days I grab a stick, other days a puck or a cream. I like the option of choosing one or other of these soap delivery mechanisms. While I do love using sticks on days when I choose to use a stick, I would like some way of keeping things neat and tidy and a little less messy, hence my hunt for a twist-up container.

I have a little container from Lush that my girlfriend for when she got a face scrub, i took it and put my arko stick in there, perfect :)

Yesterday I "stickified" some Williams Mug soap into an empty glue stick container. The container is about 1" diameter on the inside, by 3" or so long.
The tricky part was figuring out that I had to snip off the widened tip of the central screw so that I could completely unscrew the piston, and then clean behind it with an old toothbrush.
Note the perfeshunul quality re-labeling.

The Williams was a partly-used puck that was sitting in a lidded container, so it was somewhat softer than straight out of the box. I had to bring the piston up, mash a dice-sized piece of soap onto it with two thumbs on either side of the screw. Back it down a bit with the knob, then mash down some more soap. Repeat until it's full. The next time I try something like this with a new dry puck, I'll grate it first.
I should also remember to weight the empty tube too.

I tried shaving with it last night and it worked just great. I rubbed it on my face, and then built the lather with a Wee Scot. It's easy to screw it out but you can't screw it back in, you have to push it back in as well as turn the knob backwards.

I liked this so much I'm going to order some empty oval deodorant stick tubes, from Saffire Blue Inc.

$1367be96e1e7611bfe1ba4207a74f708.image.174x150.jpg
With Length: 2.25 in / 5.715 cm, Width: 1.25 in / 3.175 cm, Height: 4 in / 10.16 cm, they should be a lot easier to load with grated soap.
(They have small tins for moustache wax too.)

BTW - If you're looking for the West Coast Shaving tubes that have been mentioned earlier, I eventually found them under Accessories > Travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using an empty Sard Wonder Soap twist-up container for my Arko and it seems to be working out okay. It is a tad wider than the Arko stick and is plenty long enough. When i can afford to place a big enough order with Maggards to justify the postage I will definitely add a couple of their empty containers to the order though.

Top Bottom