What's new

DIY Tobacco Press V2

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
The Death Press 2.0 is in the works. I don't think I'll be making another batch of Black Death, but I would not have made this without the Black Sails thread. This one is flush and square, and has a 2" x 6" surface area. According to Price's computation, this should be perfect for about 7 ounces of 'baccy.

To solve the problem of getting the plug out, I'm just not going to glue the walls to the base. I'll just unscrew the 2 screws connecting the base to the walls, and the plug will be able to pop right out of the mold.

Here are the cut pieces minus the base.
$IMG_20160816_172123027.jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I don't know if I'll have time to finish it later tonight. So I might have to finish it tomorrow. I just need some pre-drills and some screws. I also need to go out and get a couple more C clamps so I can do more than one batch at a time. This is just a mock setup.
$IMG_20160816_191635579.jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I was fairly distracted this week, so I didn't get the press done until this morning. Still, pretty simply thrown together with leftover 3/4" hickory flooring. The interior dimensions are 2" x 6" x 2.5". I didn't use any wood glue this time so that I can just unscrew the base screws and pop the plug out of the bottom of the mold. I'll probably toss some blend together and load it up tonight.

$Tobacco Press V2 (1).jpg

$Tobacco Press V2 (2).jpg

$Tobacco Press V2 (3).jpg

$Tobacco Press V2 (4).jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I loaded up V2 tonight with a bogus batch of Black Death. It has a hefty helping of red Cavendish Virginias in it, along with dark spiced rum instead of cognac this time.

The batch dry,
$Red Death (1).jpg

The batch wet with dark rum.
$Red Death (2).jpg

Fitting it in the mold
$Red Death (3).jpg

Getting ready for the cover.
$Red Death (4).jpg

Very cool. Now I have a question. When pressing, do you periodically increase the pressure as time goes by? I know when curing perique, the jack presses are periodically tightened to make sure constant pressure is applied. Will you be doing something similar?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Very cool. Now I have a question. When pressing, do you periodically increase the pressure as time goes by? I know when curing perique, the jack presses are periodically tightened to make sure constant pressure is applied. Will you be doing something similar?

I did that until I couldn't tighten it anymore (after a few days) with the first batch from the Black Sails thread. I plan to do the same with this batch. This batch gurgled more when tightening the clamps, so I decided not to tighten it as much right off the bat. It's still pretty darn snug, but I could torque it down a bit more throughout the next few days.

I'm just winging this stuff, though. I've done a slight amount of research, but I'm mostly just following what was mentioned in the Black Sails thread and shooting from the hip.

I did that until I couldn't tighten it anymore (after a few days) with the first batch from the Black Sails thread. I plan to do the same with this batch. This batch gurgled more when tightening the clamps, so I decided not to tighten it as much right off the bat. It's still pretty darn snug, but I could torque it down a bit more throughout the next few days.

I'm just winging this stuff, though. I've done a slight amount of research, but I'm mostly just following what was mentioned in the Black Sails thread and shooting from the hip.

A tried and true strategy, actually. Remember that the microwave oven was made after a mistake was made when using magnetrons for radars!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
A tried and true strategy, actually. Remember that the microwave oven was made after a mistake was made when using magnetrons for radars!

:lol: I guess I'm on the right track, then! I would love to be able to enhance my tobacco and cook my food at the same time, :thumbup:

Yes, Bill. As the tobacco compresses over the first few days, you have to torque it down a little bit periodically. After about 4-5 days, you're at about the maximum density you can create by hand cranking, which is just about perfect. (I've seen youtube videos of a guy who uses a hydraulic press, and the tobacco looks like a shard of glass when he's done. Umm, no.)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The two versions of Cpatain Packer's Black Death are going to be veritable Lat bombs. I can't wait to try one. When I tried the same mix around 1990 (before I moved to Texas and after having read David Poyer's book The Circle) it almost killed me. I need to hit up Half Price Books to see if I can find that book, for old time's sake.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
The two versions of Cpatain Packer's Black Death are going to be veritable Lat bombs. I can't wait to try one. When I tried the same mix around 1990 (before I moved to Texas and after having read David Poyer's book The Circle) it almost killed me. I need to hit up Half Price Books to see if I can find that book, for old time's sake.

The sample of the first batch that I have pressing tasted very mild for my preferences before the batch was pressed. We'll see what it's like after a bit of curing and two weeks of pressing.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

Is The Circle a book worth reading?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Is The Circle a book worth reading?

I thought so at the time. It is the first (in the storyline) of the Ensign Lenson series. I read the second one, then working two jobs got in the way of reading for a while. It is set in the post Viet Nam war navy, and some of the characters are really shady. Poyer was ex-Navy.

Top Bottom