What's new

My first full restore with custom scales

Be gentle folks :001_unsur

I broke the original scales trying to unpin them to do a cleanup of the blade - so had to make new ones.

Ivory coloured Acrylic, lined with brass and an ebony wedge.

Constructive ridicule will be acceptable:

Before:

$1.jpg

After:

$20160816_123158.jpg$20160816_125853.jpg

Geo

Thanks,

Kinda forced into it by my own inexperience - I didn't realise how easy it was to break scales at the pivot pin if you are a little heavy handed trying to extract the old pin.
Another lesson learned.

Geo

Congrats looks great to me. I chickened out after filing the pins flat and cutting a divot on one of my ivories. I only have a hand drill and or a pin vice to use and didn't want to risk it...at least on ivory. Ebonite, sure Id try because I hate that stuff and its stench.

Thanks again for all the positive comments, I may have to try doing a few more now!

#George86 - the brass liner is 0.5mm - bought on eBay.

The ivory Acrylic was 3mm also from eBay.
I.5mm Acrylic would have been better as I has to thin the 3mm stuff down quite a bit.

Geo

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Great job! Looks very nice indeed, and the brass liner should help to prevent breaking. Acrylic by itself works so easily and finishes so nice, but it is not all that sturdy. A backing is a nice touch.

I would put the wedge pin a little closer to the end of the scales, though. Sometimes the very tips of the scales will spread away from the wedge when you pin the pivot, if the wedge pin is too near the fat end of the wedge.

Great job, you could put a coat of Renaissance wax on the brass liners to stop patina developing (unless you are after that look).

Top Bottom