What's new

The Great Louisiana Flood of 2016

Well, I am not going to say that it is a happy day, but the house is making progress. We have taken out all the sheetrock/drywall, insulation, metal flashing around the each wall corner (not sure what these are really called), window sills, baseboards, garage fixtures, etc. We have the AC working finally, fans and dehumidifiers are blowing/sucking. All of our outlets that were submerged have been changed, so we have power now too. We have mold remediation people coming in on Thursday (not that I have seen any mold) to spray their stuff and give us our certificate. All in all things are progressing nicely.

I just wanted to say that everyone here on Badger & Blade have been awesome with their kind words and deeds. This truly is a great place on the internet. Below are some pictures of our progress...now to finish up the wife's parents' house! :w00t:

Great job, Don. I live in Mid-City (Baton Rouge) and my house got flooded from all of the rain on Friday morning. Not as bad as your house. I've been to several houses in Denham Springs and (east) Baton Rouge gutting houses. You really did a great job. Some of the people's houses that I have gutted did not have a chance to leave. The water came up very fast and unexpectedly. They all got out, though, except for one family's dog. So sad.

My children started school before the floods but have not been back and will start again next week.

Great job, Don. I live in Mid-City (Baton Rouge) and my house got flooded from all of the rain on Friday morning. Not as bad as your house. I've been to several houses in Denham Springs and (east) Baton Rouge gutting houses. You really did a great job. Some of the people's houses that I have gutted did not have a chance to leave. The water came up very fast and unexpectedly. They all got out, though, except for one family's dog. So sad.

My children started school before the floods but have not been back and will start again next week.

Being in Mid-City I am surprised you flooded at all. But I am truly sorry that you did. As far as getting out...if we would have waited even five or ten minutes more, I don't think we would have been able to. Having our vehicles is a HUGE deal. We are taking the in-laws to Mobile, AL to FINALLY get a rental vehicle for them. Thanks guys for all the words of encouragement.

I have to give a shout out to my new friend Theresa of Bain Amour Bath & Body Co. Bain Amour was quickly becoming one of my favorite soap makers but after today...Theresa might have won the top spot. Today in the mail at work I received a box from Bain Amour. Inside was a nice note and plenty of soaps and other items she sent the wife and I. Inside the box for the wife were a couple of bath soaps, a sugar scrub, bath stress ball, and some linen spray. For me she included some nice bath soaps, a tin of her shaving soap, and a generous sized bottle of after shave. The scent of the AS and Shave Soap is Deadly Weapon. It is described as: a very sexy and rugged scent with notes of mandarin, black pepper, cardamom, clove, vetiver, leather, frankinscense, myrrh, sandalwood, and musk. Just up my alley. So here is a shout out to another person has shown me such kindness in a time when kindness is in short supply.

$Bain Amour Products.jpg

I have to give a shout out to my new friend Theresa of Bain Amour Bath & Body Co. Bain Amour was quickly becoming one of my favorite soap makers but after today...Theresa might have won the top spot. Today in the mail at work I received a box from Bain Amour. Inside was a nice note and plenty of soaps and other items she sent the wife and I. Inside the box for the wife were a couple of bath soaps, a sugar scrub, bath stress ball, and some linen spray. For me she included some nice bath soaps, a tin of her shaving soap, and a generous sized bottle of after shave. The scent of the AS and Shave Soap is Deadly Weapon. It is described as: a very sexy and rugged scent with notes of mandarin, black pepper, cardamom, clove, vetiver, leather, frankinscense, myrrh, sandalwood, and musk. Just up my alley. So here is a shout out to another person has shown me such kindness in a time when kindness is in short supply.

View attachment 684783
I've had one interaction with Bain Amour and before I placed my order she answered all my questions was very patient and they have a customer for life. The products are amazing.

Don happy to see that you are slowly getting back to normal life... Though I'm sure it will take quite awhile. Prayers still coming for all the victims

This message brought to you by Chad's phone.... most likely with typos

View attachment 684783

Wow, what a great gesture. I have Bain Amour - Deadly Weapon shave soap. I love it.

My house is an anomaly in Mid-City. It was probably the only one that took water. We have a drainage issue. If it rains a whole bunch like about a month ago or on August 12, we need to be ready for a flood. First time we actually had floods after a year of living there and it was not disclosed that it would flood from the previous owners. I have contacted 311.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I didn't think I needed any more shaving soap until I read this. I like to give business to good people.

Thanks guys! This wasn't supposed to be an advertisement. I just wanted to show that there still is kindness in the world. I am sure Theresa at Bain Amour will really appreciate it.

Sent from the Danger Phone

We got our determination from FEMA and I was a little surprised. They are actually giving us more than I expected. Not that it is enough, but it's enough to get us started...so there is that. Also got a quote from a reputable contractor. I had prepared myself for what I was about to hear...and I was in the ball park...but it still hurt to hear it. Really felt like leaving my keys in the door and driving until I hit Montana or Alaska and just build a small cabin and live off the land. Sounds good enough, but I just can't leave my house like that. This is going to be a mental marathon...and I am not sure I am in shape enough for it. I'll get through it...it was just a lot to take in.

We got our determination from FEMA and I was a little surprised. They are actually giving us more than I expected. Not that it is enough, but it's enough to get us started...so there is that. Also got a quote from a reputable contractor. I had prepared myself for what I was about to hear...and I was in the ball park...but it still hurt to hear it. Really felt like leaving my keys in the door and driving until I hit Montana or Alaska and just build a small cabin and live off the land. Sounds good enough, but I just can't leave my house like that. This is going to be a mental marathon...and I am not sure I am in shape enough for it. I'll get through it...it was just a lot to take in.

Well at least FEMA came through and gave you more than expected. I can only imagine how stressful life is going to be for you and the family during these times. Stay strong and lean on each other.

I am extremely gratified that FEMA is there actually helping. I keep remembering that famous Reagan quote. "The most terrifying thing to hear is I'm from the government and I'm here to help" :thumbup:

Well the good news is that it looks like we have a contractor to do insulation, drywall/sheet rock, trim, and doors. The bad news is that he was super high (or at least we thought he was) on painting. Also, when we bought our house the cabinets for the kitchen were custom made and to get some one to build our lower cabinets (the uppers were saved) will take about a year to get someone in to do them. So the question is...do we buy a better quality stock cabinet and try to match the uppers or maybe do something trendy like dark lower cabinets with our white uppers...or do we wait for a year and have no lowers until then. Questions that I thought I would never have to answer at this time.

To let you all know, the wife and I are not trying to make the house some grand palace. We are trying to just get it livable for now. At the same time, we are trying to get it to the same quality as before the flood with some additions so that if we ever want to sell the house down the road, we can. Adding things like quartz or granite counter tops, subway tile back splash, etc.

I'll keep you guys updated.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
A year is a long wait but understandable as the demand for tradesmen after a natural disaster would be high.
Can the upper cabinets be painted? Maybe just change the doors so they match the new lower ones.

Well the good news is that it looks like we have a contractor to do insulation, drywall/sheet rock, trim, and doors. The bad news is that he was super high (or at least we thought he was) on painting. Also, when we bought our house the cabinets for the kitchen were custom made and to get some one to build our lower cabinets (the uppers were saved) will take about a year to get someone in to do them. So the question is...do we buy a better quality stock cabinet and try to match the uppers or maybe do something trendy like dark lower cabinets with our white uppers...or do we wait for a year and have no lowers until then. Questions that I thought I would never have to answer at this time.

To let you all know, the wife and I are not trying to make the house some grand palace. We are trying to just get it livable for now. At the same time, we are trying to get it to the same quality as before the flood with some additions so that if we ever want to sell the house down the road, we can. Adding things like quartz or granite counter tops, subway tile back splash, etc.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Keep the Faith Don, you have a gaggle of folks praying and keeping you and your family in their thoughts.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Prayers to you and your family Don. Big of Bain Amour to help ease your tension a bit.

God Bless,
Adam

Top Bottom