What's new

The Great Louisiana Flood of 2016

Worked about as hard as I can today. Put in a solid 10 hours before we had to stop. First I have never known such kindness from strangers. I was just very happy to have help today. I have pics I'll upload later.

Sent from the Danger Phone

Sorry to hear that, Don. Prayers for you and you family and everyone else impacted. My mother-in-law's house in NJ got flooded out by Irene. She's in her 90's and got through it. you will, too.

Mikey

Very sorry to hear about this. I just returned from my Brother in Law's house in Central. They got 17 inches in their house and didn't have flood insurance. The drive into and out of there was heart breaking to say the least. People's belongings they've worked so hard for piled up near the road. The first houses we could see flooded from the interstate started around Ponchatoula, so the flooding is very wide spread. I have a feeling the latest estimates on the amount of homes flooded is going to increase. We drove over to bring some cleaning and packing supplies and helped tear out dry wall, insulation and flooring. This past couple of days are probably the worst I've ever seen.

That's not the only bad flood to hit Louisiana this year. In March the northern part of the state had almost 2 feet of rain in two days, from the Shreveport area to east of Monroe. My sister and I still have a house in West Monroe, fortunately on the west side of town where the hills begin and on higher ground so no problems. About 3 miles away toward the downtown area, the high school flooded, the first time since it opened in about 1955. The Duck Dynasty folks warehouse/store flooded. I saw pictures of I 20 between Monroe and Shreveport, where low areas were passable only by large trucks and pickups with high ground clearance. It was reported that so much rain and floodwater emptied into the Ouachita river that it flowed back north for a short time, Numerous large boats broke loose and jammed under bridges in town,

I still feel for those folks down there, but high water has historically been a way of life in that area, one of the reasons old plantation houses were built so high off the ground. I have a cousin just south of Baton Rouge and his house is on a high ridge that has never flooded. He told me Sunday that the water would have had to rise about another foot before reaching him, but with all the interstates closed only the old highways, built on high ground were open and traffic was a real problem.

My house had four feet of water in it. And even houses built on high ground flooded. The amount of rainfall we had was historical and is estimated has never happened in a thousand years. In my town of Denham Springs 90% of all homes flooded. There is already more property loss claims than Hurricane Katrina and the worse since Superstorm Sandy. With 100s of claims still pouring in every day.

Sent from the Danger Phone

Sorry to hear about your situation Don. My daughter and her family had to evacuate on Friday also. I paid for their rooms so that they could have a place t stay. They were able to get back in Sunday and have nowhere near the damage you do. I am just happy that those I know are safe.

marty

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It's good to hear from you, Don. We keep prayers heading upward and good vibes flirting your way. Let us know anything you need.

Don,
While the rest of the world watches YouTube and worries about the line at Starbucks, you have some serious problems to solve. Those of us not affected by this likely have no idea of what you're dealing with.

Good sense getting out when you did. Glad to know you are all safe and starting recovery.

Well, I am not going to say that it is a happy day, but the house is making progress. We have taken out all the sheetrock/drywall, insulation, metal flashing around the each wall corner (not sure what these are really called), window sills, baseboards, garage fixtures, etc. We have the AC working finally, fans and dehumidifiers are blowing/sucking. All of our outlets that were submerged have been changed, so we have power now too. We have mold remediation people coming in on Thursday (not that I have seen any mold) to spray their stuff and give us our certificate. All in all things are progressing nicely.

I just wanted to say that everyone here on Badger & Blade have been awesome with their kind words and deeds. This truly is a great place on the internet. Below are some pictures of our progress...now to finish up the wife's parents' house! :w00t:

$HF 1.jpg$HF 2.jpg$HF 3.jpg$HF 4.jpg

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Thanks for the update, Don. So sorry that you and yours are going through this, but good to see that you are making such good progress!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Wow, Don! You've done a great deal in a short time! May the recovery continue smoothly and swiftly!

Sorry for the obtuse question, I've never seen red 2x4's is that a special treatment. We have pale green treated up here in Ohio, but they gas off so can't be used indoors. Are these the inside the house equivalent?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Sorry for the obtuse question, I've never seen red 2x4's is that a special treatment. We have pale green treated up here in Ohio, but they gas off so can't be used indoors. Are these the inside the house equivalent?

Looks like these guys to me: http://www.proudgreenhome.com/compa...cting-lumber-from-mold-rot-termites-and-fire/

RJ - Chicago
Posted from my phone, please forgive typos.

If I were building a new house I would use those. They cost more but in the South they are worth it.

Top Bottom