What's new

How To Use Modern SE blades in a 1890 Kampfe Bros Lather Catcher

Hey guys,

I recently picked up an old lather catcher that does not accept modern SE blades. After a process of elimination and several trials I have been able to modify new blades to fit these old razors. I have shaved with this system several times and I am very happy with the results.

Check out the video !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting video. I know folks have been playing around with the half shim for a while, but you actually went into trimming the width of the blade. The folks over on the other side of the Atlantic has come up with a 3D printed wedge which works pretty well. I posted info on it a while back. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/496879-Gem-blade-wedge

Not quite perfect, but a lot better than trying to use just the modern blade and less complex than your solution, however I see where your solution may get a more secure fit. I will try it out.

Just saw your post and looked up the link. That is so awesome. I will have to order the 3 d printed wedge.

I found that a layer or two of tape on the spines works wonders. It seems to be working, I'm about 6 shaves in and its been working great. Love these lather catchers!!!

Very interesting video. I know folks have been playing around with the half shim for a while, but you actually went into trimming the width of the blade. The folks over on the other side of the Atlantic has come up with a 3D printed wedge which works pretty well. I posted info on it a while back. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/496879-Gem-blade-wedge

Not quite perfect, but a lot better than trying to use just the modern blade and less complex than your solution, however I see where your solution may get a more secure fit. I will try it out.

Just saw your post and looked up the link. That is so awesome. I will have to order the 3 d printed wedge.

I found that a layer or two of tape on the spines works wonders. It seems to be working, I'm about 6 shaves in and its been working great. Love these lather catchers!!!

What the link does is take you to a place where you download the file to send to a 3D printer to print on your own. You actually gave me a good idea of trying tape on the spine primarily to secure it to the wedge , but maybe also to make it seat better. The problem I am having with the wedge is that it works great WTG, but ATG and XTG the blade lifts a little and that small space between the blade edge and the wedge becomes a micro lather catcher. We both agree that the old lather catchers are awesome shavers. I was lucky enough to get a Gem Jr. Lather Catcher which was designed to take the old wedge blade and the Gem SE blade and so I don't have to use a wedge with that one. Gives a great shave.

I'm not well versed in 3-D printing but if I find someone who is I'll have them print it up for me. I'm a huge fan of SE razors. I guess all the hype goes to DEs and I like to try all aspects of wet shaving. I have a few in my collection already. I'm a big fan of auto strops as well.

I've go to try the 3-D printed wedge. Maybe with a little modification, we can make it perfect!!

What the link does is take you to a place where you download the file to send to a 3D printer to print on your own. You actually gave me a good idea of trying tape on the spine primarily to secure it to the wedge , but maybe also to make it seat better. The problem I am having with the wedge is that it works great WTG, but ATG and XTG the blade lifts a little and that small space between the blade edge and the wedge becomes a micro lather catcher. We both agree that the old lather catchers are awesome shavers. I was lucky enough to get a Gem Jr. Lather Catcher which was designed to take the old wedge blade and the Gem SE blade and so I don't have to use a wedge with that one. Gives a great shave.

can you not hone the old wedge blade?

Honing the old wedge blade is not the problem. I wish I had a wedge blade to hone. Getting your hands on an old wedge blade is the problem. Often times, these older razors will not come with the wedge blade at all (like my Kampfe Star), or if they come with a wedge blade, they are chipped or cracked beyond use. What Joe and I are pointing out are solutions for not having a wedge blade available but wanting to use these razors.

Honing the old wedge blade is not the problem. I wish I had a wedge blade to hone. Getting your hands on an old wedge blade is the problem. Often times, these older razors will not come with the wedge blade at all (like my Kampfe Star), or if they come with a wedge blade, they are chipped or cracked beyond use. What Joe and I are pointing out are solutions for not having a wedge blade available but wanting to use these razors.

I'm on the hunt for one,and now you mention it i haven't seen many blades with the set's i've looked at.I'm going to keep watch on this thread for sure

So I'm about 10 shaves in. Still working. I changed the blade out two shaves ago and the new one still works. I'm going to hone the wedge blade this weekend. I'd like to compare the two. I'll post my thoughts here.

Really love this thing! Out of all me SE razors this is my favorite!

So I'm about 10 shaves in. Still working. I changed the blade out two shaves ago and the new one still works. I'm going to hone the wedge blade this weekend. I'd like to compare the two. I'll post my thoughts here.

Really love this thing! Out of all me SE razors this is my favorite!
Hi Jcborr, just saw your thread and decided to share with you. I own three early lather catchers two GEM and one Ever Ready I have a honed wedge blade that I use in both and it shaves wonderfully I strop the blade on a paddle strop. Also I have a old Gem double life blade that I use with my lather catchers. This blade came with a Gem 1912 I purchased on the Bay. I strop these blades as well they are somewhat thicker than modern SE blades and have no notches. $image.jpg

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 53
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Sweet razors !! Thanks for sharing !! I like how you use the vintage gem blades as well!! How often do you hone them?

Sweet razors !! Thanks for sharing !! I like how you use the vintage gem blades as well!! How often do you hone them?
I have only honed them once. When I notice a drop off in keenness I refresh on a paddle strop with chromium oxide paste. Maybe later when I can't get the desired effect I will re-hone.

I have only honed them once. When I notice a drop off in keenness I refresh on a paddle strop with chromium oxide paste. Maybe later when I can't get the desired effect I will re-hone.

Very cool. Can't beat the quality of those vintage blades!!

I'm on the hunt for one,and now you mention it i haven't seen many blades with the set's i've looked at.I'm going to keep watch on this thread for sure

My experience is that the razors that come with the most wedge blades are the old European ones. Typically mine have come with up to 7 blades each and the blades with CV Heljestrand and Henckels Rapide or Wotan razors are excellent if not chipped or too worn. The blades with old Wilkinson or Mulcuto razors are too wide to fit most other old wedge blade razors.

Kampfe Bros. marketed several Star 7 day sets and even a 14 day set. They did not sell well, perhaps due to cost - one 7 day set sold for $17 at a time when that represented a week's wages. Thus, they are extremely rare today. When a complete set in good condition does show up on the 'Bay it tends to trigger a bidding frenzy.

The most common Star sets were the round and later square tins which typically came with only 1 or 2 blades.

--Bob

I now have six 7 day CV Heljestrand sets and one 7 day Wilkinson Pall Mall set with all blades. Also several other sets with multiple wedge blades including Henckels Rapide and Mulcuto sets. My Wilkinson Empire 7 day set is missing one blade.

Top Bottom