What's new

Transitioning from DE to a Shacette?

I bought a shavette and tried it for the first time. Good: I got a very close WTG shave. Bad: I truggled with blade angle and ended up with weepers and razor burns.

Tips on transitioning from a DE to a shavette?

I wish there was something magical I could say but it's all a matter of practice. If I had to leave you with a couple of tips I would say try shaving with a gap equal to the width of the spine between your face and the razor to maintain your angle and 2nd I recommend the Personna DE blades a lot. Also try and avoid a super heavy lather. The wetter the better. Take it from me I'm a shavette ninja! Not braggin', just sayin'.......

Use a very very light touch, and don't forget to stretch your skin with your off hand. This is critical, compared to DEs.

Use a very very light touch, and don't forget to stretch your skin with your off hand. This is critical, compared to DEs.
+1. This advice is golden as well. It's just going to take an unknown number of shaves to get all these factors working together. But in time come together they will.

I also changed to a shavette recently and it took me 6 shaves before the first time without a nick.
After 2 months of daily shaving I still nick myself occasionally, but I'd say I'm doing pretty good.

Although I'm an experienced DE shaver, I had no master plan in the beginning. Sometimes I shaved the same spot until I was satisfied... or bleeding. :001_rolle
Now I am following a scheme, no more planless shaving. I watched the Willipeter99 video a lot to see his routine and developed my own.

P.S. Don't try to enforce bbs in the beginning. Do your 2 or 3 passes and if it's not 100% accurate, leave it this way. Tomorrow is another day. :001_smile

Time ... Thats pretty much it .. As you go along you will pick up things you didnt before...i have been using a shavette for about 2-3 months and the only way i cut myself now is by being in a rush to go out..big no no ...take your time..if you start to feel a bit scared or shaky during it..put the shavette down an finish with a safety or a mach 3 or something alike..there is no shame in that its something you work towards..im also interested in what shavette you are using as ive found some shavettes to not be weighted enough so you have to press harder wich can result in cuts....wich you shouldnt need to...something like a parker 31r is decent...ive also found if you leave the shavette in hot water while you mix your lather ..the blade works a bit better ..idk if thats just me but yea...what prep do you use....also what shaving cream/soap...many things can contribute to it

The biggest thing is take your time! Go slow and use an extremely light touch. Shavettes are great shavers, but the most unforgiving IMHO. good luck

Another thing that comes to mind is that not all soaps are created equal. If you run onto trouble I would suggest getting a few different soaps on the way if you can before long. I need to broaden my soap selection soon as well.

Lots of great advice above.
Ultimately it will come down to reps and how you approach your passes.
It can take a while to get the right combo that works for you.
Enjoy and take your time.

Top Bottom