What's new

Headlamps

Just got some new laying hens in the backyard chicken coop that's been empty for a few years since the last ones and I found tonight it was rather aggravating holding a flashlight trying to feed them and carry some supplies out there. Any recommendations on a good head lamp ?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Take a look at Fenix' stuff; they seem to be innovators. Have used many Fenix LED lights over the years, as something brighter and better comes out every three months, it seems.

Also the Candlepower (CPF) people can help, if no-one here coughs up an answer.

AA

For headlamps, I prefer Black Diamond. Black Diamond is a well known brand so you will see a huge range in prices for the same product. A 20 minute search will save you alot of money.

For flashlights, I would go with Fenix.

I own both brands and I am happy with both.

Last edited:
Black Diamond or Petzl for headlamps. Their lights, made for the most demanding application, are well thought out.

From the REI website and worth thinking about re "regulated headlamps" :

"Rather than gradually dimming as batteries drain, regulated headlamps offer a steady brightness level throughout the life of the batteries. This is a positive—and deservedly popular—feature.
The downside: When batteries are exhausted, the light of a regulated headlamp can go dark abruptly. This may leave you scrambling to replace batteries in the dark. A dimming light on an unregulated headlamp gives you early warning that batteries are nearing the end of their usefulness."

FWIW, I have good luck with the Princeton-Tec brand as well.

My daughter went on a trip with school to Belize that involved camping in the jungle and exploring caves. They needed a good headlamp that was light, water resistant, and relatively bright. We bought her one from Black Diamond that worked really well for her.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/search?cgid=lighting

I have the 2015 version of this headlamp. It's a good backpacking headlamp.

The only problem will be battery life. The headlamp linked (2016 version) throws out alot of light. This means more batteries. The specs in terms of battery life are exaggerated. Even so, it's a great headlamp and I may buy one as a spare for Fall hiking. Also note that the light can be dimmed to save power.

If I were hiking, I would buy this light. In fact, I did last year. If you are going to a chicken coop in your back yard, Petzel (a great brand) makes a $20 headlamp which should be fine.

If your in no hurry, wait around 6 months and pick up a better one on clearance.

I have an older (probably 5+ years old now) Petzl Tikka headlamp (not sure if Tikka 2 or XP or XP 2 or whatever...sorry) with a rechargable battery back. Great headlamp, and still running strong.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, after reading up on some lamps I decided and got this in the mail today.
proxy.php

Much will depedn on your preferences in batteries. In the $25 to $50 range I'd probably go with a Black Diamond. In the $60 to $90 range I'd probably be looking at Fenix. However, for feeding chickens a ≤$25 light is probably fine and there are lots of decent options out there

Last edited:
I just got a nitecore hc60. It comes with an 18650 battery and has like 5 brightness settings. I already have two of their 18650 battery chargers and love them. I used the headlamp yesterday installing a bathroom faucet. Works great.

Well it will be kind of an all purpose light as well. I also hunt so it will come in handy tracking as well.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, after reading up on some lamps I decided and got this in the mail today.
proxy.php

Give us some feedback on how you like that headlamp. I recently bought the Spot model. It's perfect for what I've used it for and works well in the rain. I thought the storm was a bit of overkill considering both models are waterproof.

Give us some feedback on how you like that headlamp. I recently bought the Spot model. It's perfect for what I've used it for and works well in the rain. I thought the storm was a bit of overkill considering both models are waterproof.

So far I like it. If the. Haven't gotten a chance to really put it to the test in the extreme yet but I can see where people want a slightly stronger headband with a little less elastic in it because it looks like it can stretch a little over time. The brightness I like. I like overkill in a lot of things lol. Only thing that can take a minute to learn is switching between all the modes.

Top Bottom