What's new

First impression of the Razorock 37 slant.

Mine shaves very well, and the plating is great. But I do have a problem that the handle really wants to cross thread.

I took a stainless handle and it screws on the head just fine. The threads inside the brass handle seem a bit deep, and I think the softness of the brass really wants to start new threads each time. I have to hold it steady and try a few times to really get it right.

I'm going to try to just clean the threads up and see if that works. If it doesn't I plan to drill it out and put in a thread insert of the same threading. Hopefully that will provide a more stable thread for the handle so the post can screw in correctly every time.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I put the RR barber pole handle on mine ... used it exclusively for a week.

Not as aggressive as the SR-71 slant, but a good performer. After a week, switched to a Super Speed and couldn't get a (comparatively) good shave! Switched to a vintage Gillette OLD, and yeah; close shaves are back.

With the barber pole handle, it's a good-looking razor now. Being a standard three-piece gives you options (the SR-71 is a two piece with a too-fat handle- and no way to change that).

AA

Mine just arrived in the mail today. I look forward to using it tomorrow morning! Came with a package of 5 Derby Extra blades as well. Those will go into the future PIF pile.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Plan on using one of the Chinese blades I got from riverstyxx tonight in the RR slant. Have about 6? shaves out of the dollar store blade and it tugged a little.

Boy do I like this razor! This is the first slant that I've ever used and was blown away by how well it performs. I thought they were a gimmicks, but was wrong.
Loaded it with a Sputnik Teflon coated blade and lathered up with Tabac. Had the best 3-pass shave to date. WTG, ATG, XTG for a awesome BBS. I usually stick with a 2-pass WTG and ATG to achieve a DFS since XTG causes me to get a great deal of irritation on my neck.
I followed my Shave up with Bootleggers El Dorado.
The only downside side is that the shave was over too soon!

I just finished a beautiful 3 pass shave with it. I used RR Tuscan Oud and a brand new Feather. I had 3+ days growth which for me means pretty thick stubble. BBS, zero irritation, zero blood. I really like this razor, particularly when I have a few days growth. Also the handle seems to have quit exhibiting the issues I had with it earlier.

After screwing and unscrewing it several times I think it got out whatever burrs it had. My only wonder is how thats now affected the integrity of the chroming on the zamak head. I guess time will tell.

Boy do I like this razor! This is the first slant that I've ever used and was blown away by how well it performs. I thought they were a gimmicks, but was wrong.
Loaded it with a Sputnik Teflon coated blade and lathered up with Tabac. Had the best 3-pass shave to date. WTG, ATG, XTG for a awesome BBS. I usually stick with a 2-pass WTG and ATG to achieve a DFS since XTG causes me to get a great deal of irritation on my neck.
Slant is not a gimmick. While you can still get the same result from a straight-bar razor; the slant allows for a smoother shave due to the angle of the blade.

Boy do I like this razor! This is the first slant that I've ever used and was blown away by how well it performs.I thought they were a gimmicks,but was wrong.

Slant is not a gimmick. While you can still get the same result from a straight-bar razor; the slant allows for a smoother shave due to the angle of the blade.

You don't say.:lol:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Mine just arrived in the mail today. I look forward to using it tomorrow morning! Came with a package of 5 Derby Extra blades as well. Those will go into the future PIF pile.
Mine came with the Derby's as well. Should have mentioned that. Quite generous of them.

Had the same result with mine!! I've been using it for a few days now and its just a great shave every time... Joe did right on this one.

At the risk of sounding dumb is the technique the same with a slant as it is with a flat bar?

You shave with it just like with any other DE razor. Like always when using a different razor, the angle might vary a little... and there are no dumb questions!!
:001_smile

Steeper would be like 40 degrees instead of a 30 degrees?

Well I'm not really a math guy but I guess so. In terms a schlub like me could understand, let's say I hold the handle normally at around 4 o:clock (WTG pass), with this razor it's more like 3 o:clock.

Top Bottom