What's new

Organizing Your Planner: Tips and Tricks

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I know that I have a while to figure things out, but my 2017 Leuchtturm1917 Weekly Planner and Notebook came in on Friday. This will be my first time using an actual paper-based planner in at least ten years. For many years I would just use a regular notebook and jot dates down on page corners or in the back of the book.

Since it has been a while, I was curious if any of you had any tips or tricks in keeping you planner useful and organized? I was thinking about using different colors for different occasions. Project and assignments could be one color, meetings and appointments could be another, etc.

Any thoughts or ideas on making a planner more practical and useful would be much appreciated.

If it were me, I would subscribe to the KISS principle. (Keep it simple s)
I have been using a Franklin system since 1986 (2 pg per day) so don't have your dilemma.

Do what works for you, but keep it simple.

I'm a Franklin Covey Planner user as well. The Leuchtturm1917 is too small for my planning/daily record use, though I do use a Leuchtturm1917 planner as my shave journal. Bought one for next year too.

Colored ink is one option, though it means carrying around pens. I have also seen Planner Stickers and while I don't use them, I can see the value. You could also flag important upcoming events with a page marker.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
If it were me, I would subscribe to the KISS principle. (Keep it simple s)
I have been using a Franklin system since 1986 (2 pg per day) so don't have your dilemma.

Do what works for you, but keep it simple.

Thanks, for the advice! Simple is good for most people, but I'm the type that would much rather have a slightly more complex system, but have it be meticulous and organized. Most of my notes from lectures, school, meetings, etc, are fairly complex in their formats, but it helps me to find what I'm looking for very quickly when I'm referencing my notes later on.

I'm a Franklin Covey Planner user as well. The Leuchtturm1917 is too small for my planning/daily record use, though I do use a Leuchtturm1917 planner as my shave journal. Bought one for next year too.

Great idea! I think I have an older unused planner sitting around somewhere that I could use for a shave journal. :thumbup1:

I have recently been taught the concept of "red, black, and blue ink"

Use different color pens to distinguish the types of activities you'll be engaging in. I work in sales so my ink colors go as follow

RED >>> Administrative Work
BLACK >> Sales strategy (where should I be focusing my time)
BLUE >>> Business Development.... how I make my money

Something along those lines might be helpful, but don't overdo it! You don't want your calendar to look like a rainbow.

this is what I've gone to for my analog system, and away from digital systems after retiring. I do a lot of traveling for fun, and use my dailies for journalling the day as well, below my daily tasks with routing headers and nightly stops up top, and here to theres on my monthly when moving. it's a simple system to modify to your needs/wants... I don't even need to color code events, just symbol them appropriately.

the upside to this system is, I can use any notebook with it (currently the Leuchtturm1917 8.5"x5.5" (A-6?) grid'd hardcover, from the soft cover previously). running a Table of Contents up front is helpful, because I also run several lists (or space for quick write ins by type; music, books, etc) prior to starting my monthlies/dailies....

bullet journal

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I used various sizes of daytimers for many years. Great system and it was really helpful. I've been using the Harvard system for several years now. Not particularly pen friendly but it has some powerful thinking behind the design. System wise it is a bit similar but for me simpler to use and actually more efficient. It is pretty inexpensive and arrives with a small atlas and phone contact book that most of us will never use.

I've used the Rhodia Planners for about six years. My first tip is to put your name and contact information in it, in case you misplace it, something I've done at work. The Rhodia large planner has a week of appointments on one side and a blank sheet of graph paper on the opposite side. I write the appointment in abbreviated, then expand with more information on the blank side. I also use it for notes, shopping lists, projects, quotes, doodles, and other miscellany. I write with a fountain pen as frequently as possible, and this planner is very fountain pen friendly.

Top Bottom