What's new

S-N shave on upper lip?

Does anyone shave from the bottom to the top of their upper lip? I always end up with a small slice in my lip this way.

I hope the question makes sense.

It does make sense and I do it myself, not on the centre of my lip but the edges from the sides of my mouth. Never a problem for me.

Yes, I can't get a close shave without an against the grain pass.

I shave every direction except S-N on my upper lip and I do end up with BBS. I just can't seem to hold the razor properly in this section.

I have to be really careful going against the grain on the stache. I do wtg, xtg, and then go against. I can't do this with an aggressive razor like a slant or I get nicked bad.

For me, the only time there's a problem is when I don't pay attention to where the blade starts. If you're cutting your lip, you should probably be starting a little higher up. :wink:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
This is the area that is the acid test for me on blade sharpness. I can't do it with a blade that is marginal. It must be very sharp. I change blades often, every other shave, for this very reason.

One technique I use is to start at one of the corners and take a small swath, maybe a 1/4 inch or so. Then I move over the same amount and take another. I do this from both sides until I am at the center and then finally do that last.

It is also important to make sure your lather is in prime condition. I usually do my upper lip last, so the lather could be a little dry by the time I get there. I always take my brush from the scuttle and rework the lather on my lip before attempting to go ATG.

I really wonder how some guys can get a whole week out of a blade. It absolutely amazes me. It must be nice to have such easy to cut whiskers. In fact, another trick I use is two razors. I have two 1940's style Gillette Superspeeds. I use one for the WTG & XTG. Then I use the other for ATG. That way the blade is not getting worn doing the easy stuff. I know this is probably overkill, but since I have the razors anyway and I like doing it this way, I figure why not. Plus, this allows me to use up all the razor blades that I have that don't work as well going ATG.

J

Jarmo P

This is the direction that I still stay away a bit on my upper lip. I shave it down and left to right, right to left, but of course no BBS unless going upwards. Would propably also destroy blades much sooner than my 5 shaves. And so much hate if i get a nick in there.

Some day I will. So far I make my upper lip BBS with a battery electric. Dont blame me too much fellows. :001_rolle

I'm working on my ATG pass on my upper lip as well. I make a WTG pass, an XTG pass, and a little touch up if necessary before trying the ATG pass. Keeping the blade angle mild and steady doesn't quite work for me. Either the blade doesn't touch or I get nicks and burn regardless of how careful I am. I think having an extremely sharp blade might fix this, but I don't have any on hand to try just right now. Just Derby Extras.

I've found two ways that work for me. The first is with my super adjustable set down to "1" slowly and carefully. The other method is to use very short quick strokes that come off the face just about immediately after the stroke is started. My main problem is that the hairs on my lip tend to pull the blade into my skin, so I have to make sure that doesn't happen.

So far I've found the SA to be the least irritating for ATG. A little practice and hopefully I can get the remaining irritation down! I think everyone's beard is so different that at least a little experimentation is a must for everyone.

Top Bottom