What's new

Finish on a "Cob"

Hi Guys
I am thinking of getting a new corncob pipe and thinking of putting a finish on it, maybe super glue or true oil, just for appearance sake.
My "gut" tells me that it is not a good idea, wondering what you guys think?
Anything wrong with doing this?
Thanks

I would be careful about what you use for finishing as it may release fumes during smoking

^ This.

Some Missouri Meerschaum models are already finished. Go for those if that's the look you want.

DEFINITELY do not finish a pipe with cyanoacrylate (super glue).

If you do anything, if call Missouri Meerschaum and ask their thoughts. I'm sure they will be happy to help make your new cob pipe your very own.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Elmer's Glue would be no worse than what they use to attach the stem and bowl. A coat or two of of shoe polish would be fine, although you may have to sand down the lacquer if you start with a smooth pipe. As long as you are only coating the outside of the bowl any I doubt you will have any issues with taste or fumes (given significant drying time). I doubt that you are stoking the pipe so much that the exterior will get that hot unless you need to wear an Ove' Glove when you smoke. The MM hardwood pipes are a different animal, I can't believe they don't combust during a charring light. Those suckers get HOT.

I haven't yet tried to see if denatured alcohol works as a solvent on MM finishes, but I'm willing to guess they use a shellac finish. Of course, don't take my word for it.

Top Bottom