What's new

Accident, maybe time to learn rescaling?

Fiddling around with my knives, I dropped my poor Erik Anton Berg on the floor, and shattered the already damaged bakelite (I think) scales. Luckily the actual blade itself seems to be fine, but it's a very pretty knife and it should really have some clothing around it to complement it's innate beauty.

So, maybe this may prove to be the kick in the butt I needed to learn how to rescale knives. Though I know there are resources elsewhere, and I will look them up (B&B wiki at the very least), I still very much would like to hear some tips and advice from the more seasoned B&Brs here. What do I need? Where to get the stuff? Is it easy to do at home without any special equipment? etc.

It's tragic that this event should be the catalyst for me to learn rescaling, but maybe I can get a pair of scales more suiting to this knive and learn a valuable skill along the way. Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to share their wisdom in this matter!

Attachments

• $20160812_204804.jpg
    $20160812_204804.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 109

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Acrylic is super easy to work with, and dirt cheap. $10 and change gets you enough for about 18 razors, from TAP plastics. It is a $10 minimum but sold by the inch so order the biggest size piece that comes out just over $10 no matter if you only need one pair of scales. Use one of the old ones for a template. Horn would be better and I think I last got horn from Maggard's, don't remember. Horn can sometimes be tricky, though, so try acrylic first. There is also micarta, G10, (a sort of fiberglass) and various laminates available here and there. Good ol wood has its fans. Ebony is lovely and dense. Bone works good.

I would do a set of acrylic, initially. Get your confidence up, then go for something a little richer.

Thank you all for your advice! Hopefully I can get the time and resources needed to dress up this lovely knife again. Have to see how I go about it, if I get acrylic ones first and make the scales from scratch, or if I can find some un-restorable straight on the web to cannibalize from. But at least I know where to get more help if I need it!

Top Bottom