What's new

What's good and what's bad?

New to straight razor, have not yet purchased my first one, but got a professional SR shave yesterday and love it. So I would like to learn. But there are so many razors that look expensive, but sell for like $30, and then some that look very basic and sell for $100+. How can I tell a good razor from a bad? How do I know if I'm getting a deal or a problem?

Any insight is welcome, pictures for examples are encouraged. Please help me learn the characteristics of bad/good razors so I don't get tricked into thinking I have bad technique when its a bad razor. Thanks in advance!

Many of us have started with a gold dollar razor that has been properly prepared, or a "sight unseen" razor from whipped dog.com They aren't pretty, but will have a proper edge to shave with.

Thanks to all! I've purchased a "sight unseen" from whipped dog, and snagged a custom high mountain badger, with hand-thrown handle. Should come in in a couple days! I'm excited to learn.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. If you don't already have a strop, you may want to pick up a poor man kit from Whipped Dog as well.

$WD.jpg
$WD2.jpg$wd3.jpg
Here's my Whipped Dog purchases. Hand thrown ceramic handle with high mountain badger knot. And the Sight unseen SR. VERY pleased with my interaction with LarryAndro. Recommended for sure, to anyone.

Top Bottom