What's new

Toronto area PIF passaround box

Anyone who's had the box tell me what the brown puck is that's wrapped up? Smells like chocolate haha I'd like to know what it is before I try it so if I like it I know what its called.

third shave

pre shave - hot shower (mine and girlfriends :thumbup1: )
Scuttle - cool blue scuttle (mine)
brush - parker pure badger rose wood handle (mine)
blade - personna lab blue (box)
razor - shavette (mine)
soap - razorock lavender (box)
aftershave - floid balm (mine)

Well this shave was great, the blade left sharp but didnt glide as well as the platinum i find, i have two edwin jagger DE89, so what im going to do tomorrow is put one of each blade in and give that a shot, both blades will have 1 use on them so they are still sharp. The soap now, the scent is nice, smells a little earthy, also kind of like corn with melted butter on top, mixed with your typical lavender smell, i was very iffy on it at first, then i started to lather it up, and it was nice, but still has to grow on me. Not as slick as the razorock santal royale, that soap is one of the slickest i own, but more of a barrister and man sandalwood slickness, still decent :) BTW if anyone is looking for a good cheap brush i highly recommend the parker RHPB (rosehandle pure badger) the one in my picture, great brush for a great price! The shavette that i used today, i got online at amazon, the scales are made out of wood, every time i used it the wood would look really dried out, so i stained them and sealed them up, now they are fantastic, this is the shavette im thinking of putting in the box. Everything i used is in the pictures, i will upload pictures with every review from now on and on my last shaves as well!! Cheers ! $P_20161023_193544.jpg$P_20161023_193558.jpg$P_20161023_195346.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone who's had the box tell me what the brown puck is that's wrapped up? Smells like chocolate haha I'd like to know what it is before I try it so if I like it I know what its called.

From Charles R's time with the box. ..
"Since this is a Canadian passaround box, i'm also adding one puck of MJ's maple cream scented soap (disclosure - I used to be a hobbiest/vendor here. I closed shop but had some left)"

forth shave

pre shave - hot shower
brush - razorock italian barber synthetic (mine)
blade - personna platinum (box)
razor - merkur 38c (mine)
soap - Elvado west indian bay rum (mine)
aftershave - layrite NO.9 bay rum (mine)

Best shave ive ever had on my neck! I was in awe at how great my neck feels, almost BBS, but not quite there yet, so close! That blade in that razor... wow, just wow. I am picking up a box of personna platinum's next week 100%. if anyone is looking for a bay rum soap, but without the strong rum smell, i highly recommend the Elvado, the smell is totally awesome, my two favorite bay rums are the barrister and man and the elvado and i could choose between the two of them if my life depended on it. The elvado is a little more relaxing scent while the B&M has more of an attack when smelling it. Man i really need to learn how to explain myself for these reviews haha forgive me...dont worry i wont be running for parliament anytime soon. Great aftershave as well, it has a crazy bite but the smell is like taking a bottle of sailor Jerry and soaking your face with it! And its dirt cheap!!! My go-to bay rum aftershave for sure, great for a night out with the boys, or some country girls who like to smell a man that knows how to drink.

$P_20161024_173855.jpg

Last edited:
I am picking up a box of personna platinum's next week 100%.

My first experience with the Platinums were from the box. I agree with your assesment and your urge to buy a bunch. Too bad they don't sell them in walmart and other stores like the do in the US of A.

My first experience with the Platinums were from the box. I agree with your assesment and your urge to buy a bunch. Too bad they don't sell them in walmart and other stores like the do in the US of A.
Ya i know, i was just in the states a month ago for work and all they had at the walmart was van der hagon, bought as much as i could though, great price for the VDH set and razor. No personnas there though :(

Fifth shave

Pre shave - hot shower and krown pre shave gel (mine)
brush - Semogue 630 (mine)
Blade - Durby (box)
razor - Mens essentials butterfly DE (mine)
Soap - proraso green (mine)
Aftershave - Proraso green balm (mine)
Scuttle - cool blue scuttle from the bay (mine)

Fifth shave went well, the durby blade was awesome, super smooth, must nicer then the last time i used it, ever then it was still good. Felt like a nice cold sensation today so i decided to try out my new proraso green aftershave balm with the matching soap. If you work the soap really well it makes such a nice lather, specially when its warm :D thank you "cool blue". The balm kinda smelt like skunk at first, then i started work it in and its starting to grow on me. All in all a good shave, very happy :) Tomorrow though... its my anniversary with the girlfriend so yours truly gets to take her to dinner, so guess who gets to use their new TOBS sandalwood aftershave and matching cologne!!! Common guess! Ya be jealous ;) its your boy Dom. Cant wait!!!
$P_20161025_193533.jpg

Tomorrow though... its my anniversary with the girlfriend so yours truly gets to take her to dinner, so guess who gets to use their new TOBS sandalwood aftershave and matching cologne!!! Common guess! Ya be jealous ;) its your boy Dom. Cant wait!!!

Bahaha. Have a good one man!

Sixth and final shave

Pre shave - hot shower
brush - Fine synthetic angel hair (mine)
blade - personna platinum (box)
Razor - Edwin jagger DE89 (mine)
soap - Taylor of old bond street sandalwood (mine)
aftershave - Taylor of old bond street sandalwood (mine)
cologne - Taylor of old bond street sandalwood (mine)

What more is to be said? Tobs sandalwood, amazing every way you look at it. The last shave from the box was last night. The box has been delivered to HacknSlash. I'm super excited for his reviews! He's a really cool guy that just started wet shaving. I'm really glad that this pass around was started and I got to take part in it, I got to smell a lot of great products and got introduced to many new complains and what they have to offer! Got some cool stuff out of it as well, and got to share some of my things with the members of B&B!!! I hope my reviews helped some of you guys, even though they were kinda weird hahaha Keep on shaving boys!$P_20161026_180336.jpg

It's interesting the take on other people's experience with Derby blades. I have a few tucks of them and can't stand them. Tried them a few times from different tucks and didn't like them at all. Everyone's shave is different. I'm glad you were able to enjoy them. I was not able to get much joy with them. They did cut the stubble down for sure but also managed a few weepers and some skin slices that a doctor that performs skin graft surgery could have used.
Not the blade for me.
My regular go to blade and razor is a Voskhod and fat boy on 8. Consistent results for me. I am a bbs shaver each and every time I shave.
Some blades and razor combinations work great for some and are a gore fest for others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom