What's new

Toronto area PIF passaround box

I picked up the box on my way home from work on friday. Everything arrived perfectly... no leaks!

There is a surprising amount of stuff in there. Everything appears to be new or very close to new. There is a good selection of soaps and aftershaves. Thanks again [MENTION=108269]sqg491[/MENTION]!

$TO_Box_IN_Aug19.jpg

Saturday I shaved with a few things from the box.

$SOTD_20160820.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Heavy Duty (Box)
Blade: Kai (Box)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft (Mine)
Lather: Catie's Buccles Rosee Du Matin (Box)
Aftershave: RazoRock The Son of Zeus (Box)

I've never used Catie's Bubbles soaps before. There are a couple Catie's samples in the box. The scent of them all is nice and strong. My favourite was the lemon lime scent of Rosee Du Matin. The lather was fantastic. A small amount easily produced enough lather for three passes.

The Son of Zeus after shave worked wonderfully as an aftershave, but my wife gave it the axe on the sniff test. A couple of times she asked me to go wash it off. I didn't mind the scent, but I didn't love it. It is a great aftershave though.

It took a few tries to load the blade straight in the RazoRock Heavy Duty. And once I started my shave it was noticeably more aggressive on one side of the head than the other. I ended up using only the more mild side to finish the shave.

The Kai blade was sharp and smooth, even on the mild side of the head. I ended up with a close shave with no irritation. Despite the razor the Kai blade performed really well.

This morning I tried the same Kai blade in my Gillette Slim:

View attachment 683071

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (Mine)
Brush: LioJuny Finest Badger (Mine)
Lather: RazoRock The Stalion (Box)
Aftershave: RazoRock Santal Royal (Box)

The Kia blade performed really well in my Slim. No irritation and very sharp. The Kai is definitely sharp but smooth enough that kept it easy to use. After two shaves the Kai blade is very nice.

The Stallion Shave Soap is one of the RazoRock tallow based soaps. It's super slick and easy to lather, definitely a very nice soap. The scent is hard to describe. To me it has a bit of a cologne scent. It's not strong and doesn't last after the shave but the scent is nice. The post shave feel is fantastic.

My wife sniff tested a couple bottles ahead of time and decided on the Santal Royal. It's a sandalwood based scent. There is a bit of spice that hangs on with the sandalwood. The scent lasts longer than the Son of Zeus and as an aftershave it performs just as well.

I'm going to shave with stuff from the box tomorrow morning then I'll ship it off on my way to work.

imcndn

As soon as I have the box Desi i'll send you a PM
Hey guys do we need to worry about a Canada Post strike or lockout?

Last edited:
As soon as I have the box Desi i'll send you a PM
Hey guys do we need to worry about a Canada Post strike or lockout?

I don't know if they're going to strike or not. I hope not though... I just did an online price comparison between Canada Post and Purolator and Purolator is definitely more expensive.

I had my last shave out of the box this morning.

$SOTD_20160823.jpg

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (Mine)
Brush: Semogue 820 (Mine)
Lather: RazoRock American Barber (Box)
Aftershave: RazoRock American Barber (Box)

To me the scent of the soap/aftershave is very close to Old Spice. The soap is a non tallow soap, but performs very well. I prefer the RazoRock tallow soaps, but only by a hair.

Again the RazoRock Aftershave performed really well. The face feel is great and there is a bit of menthol for a little cooling. I really like the RazoRock aftershaves.

I felt a bit of tugging with the Kai blade this morning. No weepers or anything , but that was only three shaves with the one blade... I'd hoped for more.

$TO_Box_OUT_3_Aug23.jpg

I am going to take the Stallion soap and the Santal Royale aftershave from the box along with two samples (B&M Cheshire and Maggard's London Barbershop).

$TO_Box_OUT_1_Aug23.jpg $TO_Box_OUT_2_Aug23.jpg

Into the box I'm adding:
- 1 puck of Tabac (pressed into a bowl, used twice)
- 1 bottle of Anthony Gold Ice Lime (used once)
- 1 new pack each of Shark Super Stainless and PolSilver blades
- 1 sample of Captain's Choice Lime shave soap
- 1 sample of Captain's Choice Sandalwood shave soap
- 1 tub of Prorasso Green (used a few times)
- 1 new Boots UK Shave Bowl

I have the box with me now. I'm heading out at lunch to ship it off.
[MENTION=37018]charles_r[/MENTION] I'll get you the tracking details this afternoon. Enjoy the box!

Thanks,
imcndn

I received the box today. The clubman is really potent stuff! I could smell it right through the box. I can see why some people like it but it's probably not for everyone. Desi, send me a PM with your address so that when i'm done I can send it your way

Last edited:
Today I used:
- Preshave: hot shower only
- MLS Kraken Soap (box)
- Razor: Blackland Blackbird
- Blade: Polsilver (box)
- Brush: Pro 48 (box)
- Aftershave: Anthony Gold Iced Lime

My impressions:
I wanted to try the Pro 48 because I already own a smaller Omega 31064 which is great but has been a bit of a shedder since i've owned it. I also own a Zenith B02-A28 which in appearance is similar (26 knot/64 loft with an aluminum handle). My first impression of the 48 was that the bristle was much more coarse than my Zenith. The bristles are also a bit darker. I thought I would be in for a rougher lathering. The result was a bit of a shock to me. It was cloud-like soft after a good soak. It was a tiny bit more difficult to use for face lathering than my Zenith not because of the size, but the 48 felt a bit more floppe, perhaps because it is not as dense. Maybe it's time for me to try a Pro 49 or a Semogue which I believe has fine hair like the Zenith?

The MLS soap was very nice. Easy to lather with good protection. I would say the post shave was OK, the soap did not dry out my face but I did not feel over moisturized either. I would say this one is well balanced. The scent is typical barbershop. Actually, it's practically identical to a bottle of barbershop fragrance oil I own here.

It was my first time using a Polsilver blade and to me, it was a revelation. The blackbird is pretty tolerant on choice of blade. I can use blades in it that I can't stand in other razors. In this razor, the Polsilver was the smoothest blade I have ever used. Perma-Sharps had been my favorite blade up to now. I'll try a different razor tomorrow to see how that feels.

I loved the scent of the Iced Lime aftershave and my face felt good afterwards, but it has no staying power whatsoever. The scent was completely gone after a few minutes.

I pretty much sniffed everything in the box and I already know what i'm trying out tomorrow but I'll write again after the shave!

This morning's shave

Pre-shave: hot shower, AOS pre-shave oil (box)
Cream/Soap: 1st pass - TOBS avocado (sample from box), 2nd - Tabac (box)
Razor: Merkur 37C (mine)
Blade: Polsilver (box, 2nd shave)
Brush: Zenith boar (mine)
Aftershave: RR Tuscan Oud (box)

My impressions today. The pre-shave oil is NOT for me. Way too greasy, way too messy. Now maybe it's me.. maybe I used too much - about a quarter size in the palm of my hand. I whipped up a great TOBS lather in a bowl. I had the feeling that the preshave oil was killing the lather on my face and on my brush. This is a huge brush. I normally do 2 or 3 passes with enough lather left for two more. When applied over the pre-shave, the lather would thin out. I used almost everything I had lathered up on the first pass. It was a VERY smooth pass with the polsilver and the 37C. I could hardly feel the blade. I did not have enough TOBS lather for the second pass so I rinced off my face and relathered using Tabac. It was my first time using this soap and I found the performance was stellar. Very dense and very slick lather and super easy to lather. The smell is not great. Reminds me of the non-glycerine VDH soap.

Finished off with a splash of Tuscan Oud. In the bottle it thought it was heavenly. Once on the face, it becomes quite strong (I think it may be the tobacco flower) and I almost regretted trying it out. It took about an hour to try down and it's very nice now. That being said, it absolutely does NOT pass the wife test. According to her, I smell like old man. I don't agree but this won't be one I will be buying in the future.

Starting this Passaround box was worth it just for the reading material! A lot of the stuff in there wasn't for me or didn't pass the wife test, but at least half of the items were ones I enjoyed....

I'm following this every day and I love the SOTD responses and feedback!

I'm glad you're enjoying this Adam!

My face needed a bit of a break. I skip days every now and then but I didn't want to today, to try more stuff lol
Today I went for something mild:
- Brush: Frank Shaving Finest (very old model, short loft, scrubby but soft) - mine
- Razor/Blade: Edwin Jagger DE89 + three day old Polsilver blade - my razor, blade from box.
- Cream: Castle Forbes Cedar/Sandlewood (sample from box)
- Aftershave: RR Razorock American Barber

It was a really uneventful shave. The DE89 is a very mild razor but paired with the Polsilver it was great. I have been using more agressive razors lately (FaTip, Maggard V3, Blackbird) and today I was reminded that a mild razor with a sharp blade can give a very, very close shave. Probably the best shave I've had with my EJ89, ever. The Castle Forbes cream is wow.. THICK and needs a LOT of water, but it was very nice. Plenty slick and my face felt pretty good afterwards.

I think I'll be passing along the box to Desi. I could keep it a bit longer, but i'll keep a few samples and that will allow me to keep experimenting.

I'm keeping:
- Soap: MLS the Kraken
- Aftershave: RR American Barber AS
- Blades: 1 KAI to try, 1 Bolzano to try, 1 Dorco to try and 1 Polsilver to hold me off until I buy a carton :)
- 1 sample pack AOS, imcndn was nice enough to throw more than one in the box. I can re-test the shave oil and try the balm.
- samples: Maggard Mango Sage tea, T&H 1804, Caties Bubble's Marche du rasage

Adding:
- 1 Pearl open comb razor (same head as RR jaws)
- 1 Bottle Fine Clean Vetiver Aftershave (used 10 times - 95% full)
- 1 tube Viking Sensitive Shaving Cream (approx half full)
- 1 tube Lider shaving cream (three quarters full)
- Slicke hair shaper/shavette with pack of blades
- Wilkson Sword Plastic DE (hoping someone will PIF this)
- 1 pack Rapira Stainless
- 1 pack Rapira Sweedish Supersteel
- 1 pack Permasharp
- 1 pack personna platinum (red)
- 1 pack Feathers

Since this is a Canadian passaround box, i'm also adding one puck of MJ's maple cream scented soap (disclosure - I used to be a hobbiest/vendor here. I closed shop but had some left)

I'll ship it on Thursday when i'm in the city. It will be cheaper than out here in the boonies.

Adding:
- 1 Pearl open comb razor (same head as RR jaws)
- 1 Bottle Fine Clean Vetiver Aftershave (used 10 times - 95% full)
- 1 tube Viking Sensitive Shaving Cream (approx half full)
- 1 tube Lider shaving cream (three quarters full)
- Slicke hair shaper/shavette with pack of blades
- Wilkson Sword Plastic DE (hoping someone will PIF this)
- 1 pack Rapira Stainless
- 1 pack Rapira Sweedish Supersteel
- 1 pack Permasharp
- 1 pack personna platinum (red)
- 1 pack Feathers

Wow... very generous! You're going to need a bigger box.

It was packed pretty tight when I received it and still is, but for now no need for a bigger box! :)

Today's shave:
This one is going to be quick. It's late and I had a rough day.
Razor/Blade: Blackbird with the Polsilver (still good!)
Brush: Omega 31064 (mine)
Cream: T&H 1804 (sample)
Aftershave: Adidas Pure Game (mine)

So the polsilver is a very very sharp. Honestly, I think they may be sharper than Feathers. Very comfortable blade with the Blackbird. I went a bit quickly under the nose and was rewarded by a small cut. I had not tried T&H cream before. Great stuff. Probably the best cream I've had a chance to try. I really liked the "1804" scent.

Good night i'll post on my next shave!

Hi to you wet shaver's. Is the box still in Ontario or ready to ship to Quebec ? I an ready to pass it around ! Good day to you all.

Yes, the box arrived today while i was at work. I've shaved 15 times so far tonight. 45 more shaves to go until i get through all the samples...lol. That's a lot of stuff in that small box. I've yet to pick out what my first shave from the box stuff is going to be, but the Fine Clean Vetiver A/S might be the finishing touch for shave. Smells quite nice, fine and clean... with hints of vetiver.
I've just got back from work and will shave the scruff in the morning. That will give me time to mull over the choice of soap. I'm not a fan of oils, both pre and post so i won't be using them. I do have a full goatee and a handlebar that I'm growing longer for a Prostate Cancer research motorbike ride called The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride. Open only to classic style bikes and fancy dressed riders, it is a world wide event on September 25th. Hence the handlebar. I'm off to bed. Shave report in the morning.
Cheers.... and stay dapper.
https://www.gentlemansride.com/rider/craigharkins

Shave one is done.

Soap = Razorock American Barber (box)
Razor = Gillette Fatboy G1 (mine)
Blade = Voskhod (mine)
Brush = Ever-Ready 200 (mine)
Mug = Vintage Old Spice (mine)
Beard Oil = Proraso Bead Oil (new purchase)

After sniffing everything in the box I decided to give the American Barber soap a whirl. I had a small sample cup pass through my house on a previous pass-a-round box but didn't find the scent as appealing back then. Might have been the age of the sample I do not know. In the big jar that is in this box the scent was quite nice and reminded me of the days of my youth going to the old barbers with my father. Scent plays a big role in one's memory.

I spooned out a gobstopper sized chunk from the jar of American Barber and smoothed over my divot like any good golfer should. The soap lathered up a bit bubbly at first go, so I squeezed out my brush of what I had made, a bit too watery from too much water on the brush, and started anew. The second go was great, nice creamy and fluffy lather. The scent wasn't too over powering, bit mentholy and a slight muskiness but I was brought back to the old red leather pump up barber chairs of days gone by. It performed quite well, didn't have any issues with it after a four pass, having only to load the brush up once more. Might like to try both the soap and aftershave combo to see if it is a matching pair for me. My wife has bad memories pertaining to anything that smells like Old Spice. Scents and I have to be careful.

The aftershave was the star of the show. Not a burner and great scent that is hard to describe. I guess my wife liked it too as she gave me the sniff test on both sides...lol I, too, have always liked the heady, earthy aroma of vetiver, a fragrant grass, native to India. The scent lasted to my nose, which is quite close to the skin that I applied it to, for about a two hour time frame. I'm not sure if it was just my nose getting blind to the scent, or it faded away. The bottle it comes in reminds me of the small vodka buzzer bottles at the cash of the LCBO.

As I stated in my previous post, I have been growing a full goatee and handlebar for the Distinguished Gentleman's ride. My wife and I were in Rexall drug store yesterday and I picked up a small bottle of the Proraso Beard Oil. The stuff comes in a small bottle with a glass dropper cap. A dime sized amount of the oil is all that is needed. It is massaged onto the beard and skin below to soften the beard and sooth the skin. I combed it through with a mustache comb. I think I used too much of the stuff. I was glistening in the sun, might down size the dime to a TTC token size. After a few hours my beard was softer to the touch and the oils had been absorbed by the hairs. The stuff smells nice, with hints of cedar and other manly scents. It tastes gross though. Hard to get it applied without getting some on one's lips.

I'm a every other day shaver so Monday will be the next shave.

I've sent a PM to NothernBoy for his address as the next to get the box, just waiting for his addy.

Top Bottom