What's new

New to watches. Need recommendations!

What are some good watches for a "Working college kid who is good with his money but still needs to live" budget? I'm the outdoorsy type and like to go hiking,fishing, and kayaking. I'm really digging the canvas strap style and don't want the case to be too big because I'm a fairly skinny guy. Thanks in advance!

Take a look at Campmor.com. Wide selection and very good prices. Don't snicker, but Timex makes some pretty good looking and well functioning outdoorsy watches.

They "take a licking and keep on ticking." Who among us remembers John Cameron Swayze the intrepid Timex pitch man?

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with Seiko but then get a selection of NATO straps. It is surprising how a watch can have a very different look when you change the strap. It is as if you actually have several watches. Each strap is $10.00 or so - dress it up, dress it down.

I heartily third the reccomendation of the Seiko 5 and swap NATO straps. Cheapestnatowatchstraps.net is run by a delightful sweede named Sofie who's wares are fairly priced and air shipped in under 7 days from Sweeden to CONUS. Amazon often has the 37 mm diameter Seikos 5s in question in multiple colors for well under 60.00 shipped with Prime.

Timex Weekender or Timex Weekender Chrono if you want a slightly larger watch and the chronograph function. Though I would not wear any watch without a screw down crown while kayaking.

Seiko divers model #SKX007. This watch is a highly durable timepiece that has an automatic movement that will serve you well for many years into the future. It's very rugged and can be put on a rubber strap, or stainless steel bracelet to dress up. Check it out!

I vote for the SKX007 or SKX009 as well.

Ben

Seiko divers model #SKX007. This watch is a highly durable timepiece that has an automatic movement that will serve you well for many years into the future. It's very rugged and can be put on a rubber strap, or stainless steel bracelet to dress up. Check it out!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I, too, see nothing with the Timex line. They are built to take some punishment. The Indi-glo lighting system is fantastic on them, too.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh, and I am generally an automatic guy, but they are going to be a bit more fragile than a quartz movement. I bring this up since you mention being an outdoors kind of guy. I owned a Seiko 5, and I will say it kept good time.

For daily use I like Casio Pro Trek. It is light, water-proof, needs no battery, radio-controlled, night illuminated. If you can, get one with a metal body. I have an old grungy Pro Trek. I was hoping it dies so that I can get a new one. I dunked into a hot ultrasonic cleaner. The watch emitted a cloud of dirt....and kept on ticking.

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
I've been wearing a Vostok Amphibia regularly for a couple of years now. Quirky, but good value, I think.

Seiko, Timex, Casio and Citizen all make good watches for the budget conscious. My advise would be to stick to a recognized watchmaker and not a fashion brand.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Take a look at Campmor.com. Wide selection and very good prices. Don't snicker, but Timex makes some pretty good looking and well functioning outdoorsy watches.

They "take a licking and keep on ticking." Who among us remembers John Cameron Swayze the intrepid Timex pitch man?

***I remember John Cameron Swayze selling Timex watches. ***

Vostok (Boctok) watches from Russia - Based on Soviet era military watches, readily available on eBay

A good starter watch is the Komandirskie, based on the 1940s military watches, available in 2 case types, either a "normal" case or the "Generalskie" which is star shaped with the crown at the 2 O'Clock position.
There are literally 100s of different dial designs to choose from.
They all have a mechanical hand-winding movement which is quite accurate once it has settled in. They are shock protected and water resistant to around 20m and have a date display.
There is no quick-set facility for the date, instead rotate the hands to 12 O'Clock until the date advances, then turn the hands back to 8 O'Clock and on to 12 O'Clock to advance date again, then repeat.
The screw-down trademark "wobbly" crown feels loose, but this is a safety feature to prevent accidental damage to the winding stem
The 18mm black leather strap is ok, but most people add an aftermarket strap or bracelet.
Komandirskie watches cost around $30 - $40 on eBay including shipping.

IMHO the best Vostok watches are Amfibia (Amphibian) watches.
Based on the 1960s Russian Navy Diver watches.
Available in 420, 060 & 120 case types (18mm) - Bill Murray wore a Vostok Amphibian 420 watch in "The Life Aquatic"
Or the larger 100, 710, 110 & 090 (22mm) case types

There are a variety of different dials either with or without a date display and several different bezels
The movement is automatic, and reasonably accurate after it has settled in, all are shock protected and water resistant to 200m
Fully wound, they have a power reserve of 30+ hours
There is the same "wobbly" crown and 12-8-12 date setting as a Komandirskie
The folded metal bracelets are adequate, but an aftermarket bracelet looks and feels a lot better
Amphibian watches cost around $50 - $60 on eBay including shipping

I'll admit I'm a bit biased because I've got 4 Vostok Amphibian watches, they get 1 week's worth of wrist time each, I regularly change watches on a Sunday night............
Left : 060 - Modded with aftermarket bezel
Centre : 710 "Scuba Dude"
Right : 090 Original Russian Navy Diver style
$20160815_103132.jpg

On my wrist as I'm typing this :
100 - Vostok's most modern design
$20160815_103211.jpg

Reverse of 060 showing trademark "wobbly" crown in unscrewed position
All Vostok Amphibian watches have the same caseback design
Translations:
Waterproof 200M
Shockproof
Ampfibia
Automatic
proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've got a dozen watches getting no wear time because of the Amfibia I got back in April: I can't take it off!

Mine's just a few seconds slow a day; plenty good for Vostok. Once a week I set it a minute fast.

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom