What's new

Kopi Luwak coffee

Would you try this coffee.?

Not to go all peta on but how they treat the cat, is one good reason not to..I won't try this it's been out of somethages butt.even if it was given to me.. Africa has better coffee..

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I'll have a double crappuccino with whole milk, to go, please...

Seriously, I am not drinking any animal's doo-doo.

I'd try it to say I'd tried it. From what I understand, it's just a good cup of coffee. Nothing orgasmic, kinda like Cuban cigars. They're good because they're rare.

Never would I pay that amount for coffee. If it was free, I'd try it, like any other coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister got me a bag as a gift when she went to Bali on vacation. It was good but I couldn't tell it was special coffee or anything. Definitely not worth the price she paid for it. I liked the Kona coffee I had in Hawaii better.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've had it. I quite enjoyed it, but I'd never pay the price for it. It's a price based more on rarity and novelty than quality.

I've also had a beer with civil coffee added. The beer was better than the straight coffee. Again, though, it was an expensive beer and not worth paying for very often.

Once I learned about hot the civits are force fed and treated otherwise, I lost all interest in both the coffee and the beer. Not for me.

This certainly is a legitimate topic, gents, but let's keep the discussion gentlemanly and resist the temptation to get too lowbrow. Cheers.

I've always wanted to try it, just for the novelty and to see what all the hype is about.
It won't become a regular part of my caffeine diet, but still, I'd like to get a cup or too to cross it off my bucket list.

I've never seen it offered at any fancy coffee bar that I've been to, and I've been to quite a few. Starbucks doesn't have it, not even on their specialty mail-order menu. And too many baristas I've talked to have never even heard of it, and the expression on their face when I describe it tells me it probably won't make an appearance in their shops anytime soon.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I just realized that I didn't at all give my impression of the coffee beyond that I enjoyed it. It was a well made cup of coffee, very smooth and a bit sweet. Very pleasant. However, it did not really have much interest to it. It tasted like . . . coffee. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but there wasn't much at all of note. I don't know what I was expecting from it, but it did not deliver the hype (or price). I've only had it the one time, so it could have easily been the quality of the beans or anything else.

So, if you come across it and want to try it, give it a whirl, but be prepared to be less than impressed by anything beyond how it is. I would love to hear others' impressions.

I have tried it. I found nothing about it remarkable except the route of the bean and the price. I have had much better coffees for a fraction of the cost. If I can have a better and cheaper cup of coffee that a cat hasn't had first, why not?

Interestingly, I've never really thought of the animal treatment in this particular case. I am not a PETA type, but I think animals are pretty cool and don't want them abused.
Foie gras has the same issue.

I agree with others. Tried it. It was pretty good coffee, but nothing so earth shattering that would make me spend all my money on a pound of the stuff. It's more a novelty then anything else.
I always find it funny that people have such reservations about this coffee. Yes it is taken from excrements but the entire roasting proces basically sanitizes and sterilizes the beans. It's just "the idea" that puts a lot of people off

I got some as a Christmas present and I possibly had it in Thailand or Laos. Can't remember much about it other than that I enjoyed it. Pretty pricey too. Probably wouldn't but it myself as I've tried it.

I've never had this, but I have had the Jacu bird coffee. Same idea. It wassnt amazing or anything.

I'm not sure what kind of coffee they feed the civet cats for the commercial stuff. In the coffee class I took in college, we talked about in that region, Robusta beans grow more abundantly. Thusly, civet cats tend to eat more of the inferior Robusta beans rather than Arabica. The Jacu bird on the other hand lives in Brazil, and tends to eat Arabica beans. Im not entirely sure how true that is, but I remember the professor talking about it.

It certainly is an interesting coffee that I always thought about trying. However, (and, like the OP, without going all-PETA) its rise in popularity led to force-fed civets in fairly poor conditions. Furthermore, the price is definitely driven by the novelty/extravagance instead of the actual quality of the beans - even if they do taste better.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Overheard during discussion of poop coffee (which I admit I had a hand in startting) on my pier...

"I dont care if it came out of Jennifer Lopez's <expletive, deleted>, I ain't drinking no coffee that was picked out of <expletive deleted>. "

I just couldn't, and didn't particularly care to, come up with a counter argument. And seriously, while I am not one of those PETA nuts, force feeding animals is stepping over the line with me. Especially a wild animal that isn't even going to be eaten.

I've tried the Kopi Luwak coffee (it was gifted to me) and it was okay, but much preferred Jacu Bird coffee. I roasted it myself and it made an exquisite cup of coffee.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The last time I had Jacu Bird coffee, I crashed my car into a building. My wife still hasn't forgiven the moderator who provided it.

Top Bottom