What's new

Thickest DE blade

So which blade is the thickest DE blade available today?

I came across a pack of 1940s Gillette Blue blades and to my surprise they are at least as thick as 2 modern DE blades. No chance of them ever flexing in any razor. I also have 1950s or 1960s Gillette Super Stainless "Spoiler pack" and blades out them are thicker than any modern blade I came across.

I don't have a micrometer but just from feel the thickest ones I have are Voskhod and GSB.

Which modern blade you ever used that you felt was the thickest you ever encountered?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I don't think I have calipers accurate enough to measure them. But there were threads with measurements of different blades.

I haven't used the following blades yet. But they're in my trial tin (courtesy of various sources, mainly TryABlade).
So out they came (and my digital caliper too).

I don't have a micrometer but just from feel the thickest ones I have are Voskhod and GSB.
Gillette Silver Blue: 0.004"/0.1mm
Voskhod: 0.004"/0.1mm

From what I've seen, KAI blades from Japan are the thickest.
How thick is a Kai?
Kai: 0.004"/0.1mm

From all the reports, rumours, and guesses I've seen... I was expecting the Kais to be 6 thou thick, but no, just the standard 4 thou.

Great input Cal. So far Personna Super is holding the high ground. My only curiosity is why they haven't thinned that one down to .004" yet.

Top Bottom