What's new

100% Pure Kona Coffee

Just starting to get into gourmet coffee. Had no idea there was any such thing as "Pure Kona". Any Hawaiian coffee I've ever had has been a blend of some kind. I don't recall ever having 100% pure Kona.

Anyone a big fan of the 100% Pure Kona? Where's a good place to begin your journey in this part of the coffee world? Would love to order a pound online, but I don't know which brands are good or where to start.

Any info or tips would be appreciated!

My wife and I agree the Kona coffee you get in stores today is nothing like what we had in Kona many years ago.

I'd verify the product before buying if you can.

-Stephen

Konajoes.com is suppose to a good one

I order some from a local coffee company it was 40 for 12oz.Once in a life time buy..Its a leap of faith, because you could be buying SA beans instead of kona beans..

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I cannot tell you very much, as it's been a long time since I've had any pure Kona, and I've never actually bought any. You are good to be careful, though. "Kona" may be the most counterfeited or, at least, abused brand out there. If you aren't paying at least $30/lb, then you probably aren't getting pure Kona coffee. Even at that price, I would be wary.

I wish I could give you my impressions of pure Kona, but I cannot recall anything specific. It was very good. I may need to give it another try, but I'm in no rush.

Frankly I don't think Kona coffee is worth the high price. I think a significant part of it is the high cost of farming there with relatively small farms. I'm far more impressed by what's been coming out of Kenya recently than by any Kona I've ever had. You might consider trying Costa Rican coffees as they have a similar profile to Konas and I think are commonly used in the Kona blends. My last visit I went to Kona Mountain Coffee a couple of times and it was good as far as they go. Other times I was at Greenwell Farm and Bayview Farm. The coffees were not memorable.

Last edited:
I had some Pure Kona many years ago and it was very tasty.
But I think the Kona blends might taste better, which is why they are more popular.

But its not something I would want to drink every day, but a specialty to bring out and serve when guests come to visit.
In this regard, you want to get smaller quantities, since a bulk purchase will likely go stale before you use it again.

I don't remember where I got it from. It was more expensive than other varieties, but still affordable for occasional use.

Last edited:
wife's sister brought this kona back from their hawaii trip, it's pure kona and really nice.
i have since re-ordered a few more directly over the phone; marie answers and takes the order.
i think it was about $12 per 8oz bag, plus reasonable USPS postage.
smooth and nutty profile, to my taste buds.
not a deep as perhaps lavazza or the costa ricans (which are also excellent), but mellow.
i blend it with lavazza decaf for my morning cup.

$IMG_9780.jpg

I'm a lover of Pure Kona, and no more than a few times per year I order a pound direct from the Island. I usually like to treat myself around my birthday, where I enjoy pairing it with a fine Connnecticut wrapped cigar. Truly the most delicious breakfast of the year!

There have been so many big stinks over Kona coffee fraud going back decades, that I have just moved to other sources rather than worry about what is in the sack. It is a continuing/recurring theme regarding coffee from Hawaii. Too bad as there are some mighty fine coffees grown in the islands.

http://www.coffeetimes.com/coffeelabels.html

http://www.coffeetimes.com/jailtime.html

http://www.coffeetimes.com/jailtime.html

http://www.huladaddy.com/articles/crimes-against-kona-coffee.htm

https://www.davislevin.com/in-the-news/class-actions-kone-coffee-farmers-win-fake-bean-suit/

there are way too many other "honest" beans out there that are "knock your sox off" quality that it just is not worth using something that has such a black marked past and present.

I do not know anyone who sells Hawaiian green any more as there is such a "bad taste" in people's memory regarding what has happened before.

wife's sister brought this kona back from their hawaii trip, it's pure kona and really nice.
i have since re-ordered a few more directly over the phone; marie answers and takes the order.
i think it was about $12 per 8oz bag, plus reasonable USPS postage.
smooth and nutty profile, to my taste buds.
not a deep as perhaps lavazza or the costa ricans (which are also excellent), but mellow.
i blend it with lavazza decaf for my morning cup.

View attachment 680175

Great suggestion - thank you!

I'm a lover of Pure Kona, and no more than a few times per year I order a pound direct from the Island. I usually like to treat myself around my birthday, where I enjoy pairing it with a fine Connnecticut wrapped cigar. Truly the most delicious breakfast of the year!

Thank you. How about a few recommendations? :)

Frankly I don't think Kona coffee is worth the high price. I think a significant part of it is the high cost of farming there with relatively small farms. I'm far more impressed by what's been coming out of Kenya recently than by any Kona I've ever had. You might consider trying Costa Rican coffees as they have a similar profile to Konas and I think are commonly used in the Kona blends. My last visit I went to Kona Mountain Coffee a couple of times and it was good as far as they go. Other times I was at Greenwell Farm and Bayview Farm. The coffees were not memorable.

Yeah, I'm getting the impression that a lot of folks just "don't bother" with the Kona stuff anymore. Would love to try some, but as others have mentioned, there's so much more great coffee from all over the world - why get hung up on the Kona?

You mentioned some great coffee coming from Kenya lately ... and Costa Rica. Can you hook me up with a few recommendations?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't know if you can go wrong trying a quality coffee from Costa Rica, but my favorites come from the Terrazu region. In fact, I just picked up this very afternoon from a local roaster.

I don't know if you can go wrong trying a quality coffee from Costa Rica, but my favorites come from the Terrazu region. In fact, I just picked up this very afternoon from a local roaster.

I feel a little lost - so new to this. Is there a good source - either internet or retail - that's a good place to find quality coffee from regions like Costa Rica? If you're looking for the REAL DEAL? Not interested in Starbucks anymore - I want the real thing :thumbup:

(Ok, maybe I'm getting a little ambitious and ahead of myself here for being a newbie - but I know I like QUALITY)

Last edited:
Thank you. How about a few recommendations? :)

I get mine from Koa Coffee. They only sell the high grade beans. Beans can vary in quality and flavor, and to me, they always seem to have the best. I like pure Kona for the lower acidity, I can have a few cups (or a pot) with a good cigar and not have any stomach issues. The higher acidity coffees have an adverse effect on me. I also smoke a mild/medium cigar in the morning, and it pairs well with the medium body of the coffee.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I feel a little lost - so new to this. Is there a good source - either internet or retail - that's a good place to find quality coffee from regions like Costa Rica? If you're looking for the REAL DEAL? Not interested in Starbucks anymore - I want the real thing :thumbup:

(Ok, maybe I'm getting a little ambitious and ahead of myself here for being a newbie - but I know I like QUALITY)

If you're actually in or around Seattle, then you have a good number of local roasters you can check out. I don't know who they are, and I certainly cannot tell you who's better, but I know they are out there. I bet a little internet searching might find turn something up.

I like dealing with local roasters when I can. I'm fortunate to have a good number where I live, the best of which (arguably) is about a half mile from my house.

I get all of my coffee green from Sweet Maria's. They do sell roasted coffee too. If you are in Seattle there are some
great roasters in your backyard. Zoka and Victrola come to mind.

Yeah, I'm getting the impression that a lot of folks just "don't bother" with the Kona stuff anymore. Would love to try some, but as others have mentioned, there's so much more great coffee from all over the world - why get hung up on the Kona?

You mentioned some great coffee coming from Kenya lately ... and Costa Rica. Can you hook me up with a few recommendations?

Top Bottom