What's new

Straight pour of bourbon, neat, what is your go to pick

Oh really? And exactly where did this information come from? Link?
Yes really. The information was some thing I got at the distillery. And I believe the are all owned by Sazerac but you know - google and all

If you want to call some one out feel free too - but the point is it is good whiskey

But whatever

This review is for the John J. Bowman Single Barrel Bourbon (JJB). The JJB is a single barrel bourbon bottled at 100 proof, and assumed to be around 10 years old. The A. Smith Bowman Distillery ages the barrels (upright, which is pretty unique), and they are a fully operating distillery, but their “triple distilled” whiskey is only distilled twice at their distillery. The mash process and first distillation takes place at the Buffalo Trace Distillery, where the distillate is then shipped to Virginia to be redistilled by A. Smith Bowman.
That is a pretty weird process, but you can’t argue with the results. You get a pretty solid product coming out of the A. Smith Bowman Distillery and though the distillate is Buffalo Trace, you are all but guaranteed a unique product when you consider that the barrels age over 500 miles away in a totally different climate.

https://redwhiteandbourbon.com/2013/06/21/john-j-bowman-single-barrel-review/

Been hitting TinCup lately. Locally made in TinCup Colorado. Very smooth, no bite, medium body. Excellent neat, so-so on rocks - doesn't hold up to dilution well.

Yes really. The information was some thing I got at the distillery. And I believe the are all owned by Sazerac but you know - google and all

If you want to call some one out feel free too - but the point is it is good whiskey

But whatever

https://redwhiteandbourbon.com/2013/06/21/john-j-bowman-single-barrel-review/

Thanks for the link. It appears you are offended and that was not my intent. Both companies are indeed both owned by Sazerac and Bowman's former master distiller, who tragically passed too young, was trained by Elmer T. Lee and others at the Buffalo Trace distillery. So there are certainly connections there. And yes, it is good whiskey. I first bought it two or three years ago and recommended it here. However, I thought it odd that they would send a large portion (I assume) of their product to another company when theirs is in such short supply. So although it appears to be the case, that is an odd business practice. Very odd indeed.

I finally got around to checking those prices. Yowza!!

yep and in VA where it is state run ABC and getting harder to actually get anything that is considered "rare" - I doubt I will ever have any of them again. But no real loss since there are plenty of excellent easy to find whiskeys out there

I used to have to have the latest greatest hard to find whiskey - now the only ones I will splurge on is the Ardbeg specialty release once a year - maybe

yep and in VA where it is state run ABC and getting harder to actually get anything that is considered "rare" - I doubt I will ever have any of them again. But no real loss since there are plenty of excellent easy to find whiskeys out there

I used to have to have the latest greatest hard to find whiskey - now the only ones I will splurge on is the Ardbeg specialty release once a year - maybe

I was the same way with wine. Now I just usually drink economy wine which is usually pretty good.

If you like the sweeter then try Rebel Yell - no joke still under $15 and pretty good.

I agree the Buffalo Trace line is best for your dollar - but can become scarce like EtL
I prefer more of a rye profile Woodford or Bulleit Rye
Are you familiar with Rittenhouse BiB Rye or Sazerac 90 Rye? If so, how do they stack up to the Woodford Rye or Bulleit Rye?

Are you familiar with Rittenhouse BiB Rye or Sazerac 90 Rye? If so, how do they stack up to the Woodford Rye or Bulleit Rye?
I've heard of both of those ryes but haven'r tried them...yet. The Rittenhouse is next on the list once I finish my bottle of Old Overholt.

Have not had nor seen a Woodford rye - but the normal Woodford has a higher rye content then others (like a Wheat bourbon - sweeter) Bulleit on the other hand is like 95% Rye making it very strong and very good!! Sazerac I have not had (Can't get) but is a classic and from people who I trust say it is fantastic!

Rittenhouse Great can't go wrong

My favorite high Rye Bourbon is Basil Hayden (even though not advertised as a Rye it has the high rye profile)

A Four Roses fan.

proxy.php

Source: Red White and Bourbon

Top Bottom