What's new

1912 gem. ?

I recently got one of these and it has a 6 sided handle with scroling or circles and loops on it for decoration. I d9nt have it with me but thatz what i remember. Its also all brass.

So what model/years were these made in with this style handle and...was it all plated and its all just want off and brass is left?

Is there a site like the gillette that i can go to and compare mine to all the others?
If i was to use this what kinda angle is best. How to start? I figure i own it i should try it atleast once.

Pics would be helpful for identifying the razor.

I assume you have cleaned it, so the first thing you need to do is get blades for it. Make sure you are getting the right blades. It should take the single edge GEM-style blades with the metal spine. There are 2-facet blades and 3-facet blades produced in this style. Get the 3-facet kind. The 2-facet ones are paint scraper blades and will give you a very bad shave. Go to tryablade.com. They have 4 different GEM blades in stock. The stainless PTFE coated ones are widely considered to be the best. You can also get them from razorbladesandmore.com or tedpella.com. TryABlade will allow you to buy only one or two to try them out.

I googled walgreens and they have the Personna Gem blades. Or was it Gem Personna? Im going to stop by the store on the way home and pick them up. As far as cleaning, rubbing alcohol was what i was going to go with. Figured that should kill anything on it. It looks clean but tarnished.

I'll try to post a pic this eve. I just would like to know something about it as its now in my collection. I got to be able to SOUND LIKE i know what im talking about if i show it to someone. Lol.

If it's like this one I think that's 1930's.

proxy.php

Yep, thats it. But its all brass. Guess all the plating is gone. Or were they made that way too? Ill still post a pic when i get home.

If it is Gem branded, says "Brooklyn New York" on the inside of the base plate and has the handle sometimes referred to as the "chain link" or "art deco" handle it is most likely 1920's. These are sometimes referred to as "Brooklyn 1912's."

In 1930 American Safety Razor (parent company of Gem, Ever-Ready and Star) introduced the Gem Micromatic open comb and re-introduced the 1912 under the Ever-Ready brand as the "Improved Ever-Ready" safety razor.

Thus, Gem branded 1912's with the chain link handle are likely 1920's and Ever-Ready versions of the same razor are likely 1930's.

These were plated in gold and nickel, and some of the Ever-Ready versions were also chrome plated. There may have been some plain brass ones, although the gold plating was super thin and some "brass" razors were originally gold plated.

--Bob

Last edited:
If it is Gem branded, says "Brooklyn New York" on the inside of the base plate and has the handle sometimes referred to as the "chain link" or "art deco" handle it is most likely 1920's. These are sometimes referred to as "Brooklyn 1912's."

In 1930 American Safety Razor (parent company of Gem, Ever-Ready and Star) introduced the Gem Micromatic open comb and re-introduced the 1912 under the Ever-Ready brand as the "Improved Ever-Ready" safety razor.

Thus, Gem branded 1912's with the chain link handle are likely 1920's and Ever-Ready versions of the same razor are likely 1930's.

These were plated in gold and nickel, and some of the Ever-Ready versions were also chrome plated. There may have been some plain brass ones, although the gold plating was super thin and some "brass" razors were originally gold plated.

--Bob

Thank you for clearing that up. I gave it a shot, and missed! :blush:

$1470786276653-1870831642.jpg

Here is the blades. Super stainless steal. Hope they are the right ones. Not like the big box in the garage. I dont need to add to that box but i will if i have too. Ha.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
View attachment 680082

Here is the blades. Super stainless steal. Hope they are the right ones. Not like the big box in the garage. I dont need to add to that box but i will if i have too. Ha.

Those blades work just fine. Just remember to keep that head flat against your face (it's not like a DE).

Keep in mind that, when identifying the razor, you need to look at both the head and the handle. It's not particularly common, but you do find mismatches. It'll still work just fine--it's only a matter of identification.

cool score,you'll love the shave,on another note I've lost my 1912 handle,any suggestions on a replacement?ive tried a couple of different ER's,VAS's and the like

$1470787374853334135185.jpg
Razor.
10 pack of blades were 7 bucks after tax. Too much but i really just want to try this razor out. If i like it ill see about some others if i feel the need. I do see just a little but of plating left in two spots so its just warn off. No biggie. Its nice looking for sure. A nice gift from a friend.

Head flat against the face? Well, im glad you said something. I would have been using it like a de. Time to clean it up in the next day or two and put it to use. Glad i did my homework here. 1920's Brooklin Gem is good enough for me.

cool score,you'll love the shave,on another note I've lost my 1912 handle,any suggestions on a replacement?ive tried a couple of different ER's,VAS's and the like

If you get a 10-32 set screw from the hardware store most any double edge handle will work, but this screw will likely just be black steel and will rust.

If you get a 10-32 set screw from the hardware store most any double edge handle will work, but this screw will likely just be black steel and will rust.
thanks for the suggestion.i was just about to post that i found the handle.Toby got me looking through my storage boxes today and just after i posted i lost it ,i found it

SEs shave very well. Retail prices for SE blades are outrageous. If you like the blades you purchased, definitely try the PTFE coated ones. 200 blades shipped run about $40. I manage 8-10 shaves per blade from the PTFE coated blades mentioned by [MENTION=108562]dkeester[/MENTION]'s above.

Top Bottom