What's new

PIF - Fresh Roast Coffee - U pick - I Roast 4 U

I just topped up both of my Forte grinders with the last of my roasted coffee. This should keep me in brew for a week or so.

When the coffee runs out I will pick a winner using a random number generator and roast their coffee along with my next 2 weeks of personal consumption gold

One lucky B&B member will get to pick a coffee from my personal stash of fresh green and I will roast, package, and ship it to them. The coffee will consist of your choice and be 12 oz (why 12 and not 16... 13 oz is the upper limit of USPS 1st class and the bags and stamps run a little weight)

NO hold backs, all varieties of green coffee I have here is listed below (even the ones I DON'T want you to choose). I have some pretty AMAZING green coffee here at Casa Mick

There is even some killer DECAF in the list. Make your choice from ALL I have.

Coffee will be roasted in my commercial San Franciscan coffee roaster to my expectations for what ever variety you have chosen.

HOW TO WIN

Open to everyone, members, mods, stewards - EVERYONE so don't be shy.

Respond to this thread and say which coffee you want to receive....

Do not be afraid to ask questions about ANY of these coffees. They are ones that I have stuck with over the years and I know them very well.

When you get your coffee, post back and tell everyone what you think of your coffee. That's all there is to it. :yesnod:

COFFEE Choices

Sumatra/Indonesia/Asia

Sumatra - Ketiara co-op
Sulawesi - Sapan Minagua
Java - Kayumas
India - Shevaroy Superior

Africa

Uganda - Sippi Falls
Uganda - Bugisu
Yemen - Cafe Mocca
Kenya - AA Peaberry
Burundi - Kayaza
Ethiopia - Harrar (natural)
Ethiopia - Yirgacheffe Kochere (washed)

Americas

Peru - Cafe Succhia
Mexico - El Huizche (Honey)
Nicaragua - Selva Negra
Costa Rica - La Minta

Decaf

Ethiopia- Busa Bechana (SWP)
Rwanda Kanzu (SWP)
Java Pitaloka (SWP)
Sumatra - Toba Batak Peaberry (SWP)
Sweet Maria's Aviador Dro Blend (one of their workshop blends)

proxy.php

proxy.php

Is that the San Francisco roaster? Nice machine! I also roast my own (I only have a Hottop) that will probably be my next roaster.

Is that the San Francisco roaster? Nice machine! I also roast my own (I only have a Hottop) that will probably be my next roaster.

Yes, That is the "unicorn San Franciscan" It is a 1 pound coffee roaster and is one of maybe 4 240VAC electric roasters the founder of the company made for a few friends. The new owners of Coffee PER did know that they existed but they had never seen one before I contacted them about the one I purchased.

Specs:

1 lb capacity
240VAC feed - split into 2 120VAC 20 amp branches
2 - 1000 degree 1740 watt electric burners
2- 25 amp DC triggered SSRs
SSRs are run by a beer brewing WORT boiling controller with 1% steps from 0-100% output

I bought the roaster as a burned carcass and had to design and rebuild the burners and controls. I learned a lot about the inside workings of coffee roasters during the process and ended up with one killer "one of a kind" coffee roaster. The folks at San Franciscan (Coffee PER) offered to send me a conversion to gas but I wanted to put it back together as it was originally designed.

The roaster is run and logged from a laptop interfaced through a TMD-56 dual channel data logger and 2 K-type probes (one BT one ET).

The roast that I send out will come with a printout of the roast profile for their coffee which will look similar to this:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes, That is the "unicorn San Franciscan" It is a 1 pound coffee roaster and is one of maybe 4 240VAC electric roasters the founder of the company made for a few friends. The new owners of Coffee PER did know that they existed but they had never seen one before I contacted them about the one I purchased.

Specs:

1 lb capacity
240VAC feed - split into 2 120VAC 20 amp branches
2 - 1000 degree 1740 watt electric burners
2- 25 amp DC triggered SSRs
SSRs are run by a beer brewing WORT boiling controller with 1% steps from 0-100% output

I bought the roaster as a burned carcass and had to design and rebuild the burners and controls. I learned a lot about the inside workings of coffee roasters during the process and ended up with one killer "one of a kind" coffee roaster. The folks at San Franciscan (Coffee PER) offered to send me a conversion to gas but I wanted to put it back together as it was originally designed.

The roaster is run and logged from a laptop interfaced through a TMD-56 dual channel data logger and 2 K-type probes (one BT one ET).

Sweet! Very impressive McGyvering, Mick.

Please do count me in...let's go for the Kenyan Peaberry.

Thanks!

what a great pif.i'm in with;
Ethiopia - Yirgacheffe Kochere (washed)

[FONT=franklin_gothic]Blind Assessment:[/FONT]
[FONT=franklin_gothic]Delicately intense. Very complex aroma and flavor: flowers (plum blossom), ripe lemon, watermelon, moist pipe tobacco, roasted cacao nib. Bright but balanced acidity; lightly syrupy mouthfeel. Long, flavor-saturated finish. Turns especially sweet and juicy as the cup cools.[/FONT]
[FONT=franklin_gothic]Notes:[/FONT]
[FONT=franklin_gothic]Yirgacheffe is a coffee region in southern Ethiopia that produces distinctively floral- and fruit-toned coffees from traditional varieties of Arabica long grown in the region. Yirgacheffe coffees like this one processed by the wet or washed method (fruit skin and pulp is removed before drying) typically express great aromatic complexity and intensity with a particular emphasis on citrus and floral notes. Victrola is a small-batch, hands-on roaster with a passionate commitment to quality and distinctiveness. Visit www.victrolacoffee.com or call 206-624-1725 for more information.[/FONT]
[FONT=franklin_gothic]Who Should Drink It: Splendid example of the extravagantly aromatic Yirgacheffe cup. Will please and excite any way you take it, but should make a particularly fine iced coffee.[/FONT]

I have no idea what ANY of these taste like. I like my coffee not bitter but yet a little on the BOLD side.

I would like YOU to pick a coffee that you think highly of yourself for me to try.

THANKS!

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Kenya

AA Peaberry

This is my choice. But I'm not familiar with my own choice.

For this PIF I am in!

I have no idea what ANY of these taste like. I like my coffee not bitter but yet a little on the BOLD side.

I would like YOU to pick a coffee that you think highly of yourself for me to try.

THANKS!

Anyone who wants me to pick out something for them should they be the "chosen" one, this is no problem.

I'll get with you after the PIF closes and explain the taste of each coffee so you can decide what you want.

For any who wish to have an idea, just copy/paste the coffee name into google and you should get a very good idea of what that coffee is all about.

Example for you: https://www.google.com/search?q=Sumatra+Ketiara+co-op

This google search will tell you more than you thought possible about that one coffee, the growers, and the taste you can expect.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Wow! Talk about being a kid in a candy store! I cannot resist! Count me in!

I think I am going to have to go with the Ethiopian Harrar. That is one that always has intrigued me but that I've never tried.

Thanks, Mick. This is astoundingly generous. :a14:

Top Bottom