What's new

Best Canned Goo?

For people who don't mind using canned goo

So far I only use Harry's shave gel and Barbasol extra moisturizing. I really enjoy Harry's, it leaves my face feeling quite hydrated! Barbasol is nice, but not as good as Harry's. Then again for $1 I'm not gonna complain. With a good water mix it's actually pretty slick, IME. Neither of their scents are anything worth mentioning. I'm curious if there's any others worth checking out?

BTW, does Barbasol Pacific Rush actually have a menthol kick? I just tried AV Blue Ice AS for the first time and that felt incredible. I'm very curious about mentholated products now:w00t:

IMO there's any good canned goo.

If you find comfortable with canned goo good for you.
YMMV indeed

Since finding this forum I haven't used canned goo anymore. There are so many better soaps available and most end up being cheaper than buying the cans in the long run. These soaps are more protective and better in every way which is enough to sell me on switching over. That doesn't even take into consideration all of the waste that occurs when you throw away an aerosol can which may be a consideration for some. I also like that when I read the ingredients that the soaps don't have a list of chemicals as long as my arm. I gave all of my canned goo away years ago and I won't be switching back.

Before finding this forum I preferred the gels to the cans of shaving cream as they seemed to be a bit more protective.

Tim, if you haven't tried a good quality soap and a nice shave brush you're really missing out. If you need some recommendations just let me know.

Most guys here seem to prefer Barbasol in the yellow can. Proraso also makes a canned product, but I have not tried it.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Most guys here seem to prefer Barbasol in the yellow can. Proraso also makes a canned product, but I have not tried it.
I agree. Most of the time when its brought up Barbosal Yellow gets the nod.

Santa Maria Novella Schiuma da Barba. $28

proxy.php

For people who don't mind using canned goo

So far I only use Harry's shave gel and Barbasol extra moisturizing. I really enjoy Harry's, it leaves my face feeling quite hydrated! Barbasol is nice, but not as good as Harry's. Then again for $1 I'm not gonna complain. With a good water mix it's actually pretty slick, IME. Neither of their scents are anything worth mentioning. I'm curious if there's any others worth checking out?

BTW, does Barbasol Pacific Rush actually have a menthol kick? I just tried AV Blue Ice AS for the first time and that felt incredible. I'm very curious about mentholated products now:w00t:

If you like the canned foam, you should give Brut shave foam a try. I believe it comes in two scents, classic in the green can and Revolution in the blue can. Both work pretty well, its what I was using before I switched over to lathering with a brush. As far as the aftershaves go, Pacific Rush has a nice cooling sensation, probably a little stronger than AV but I think AV smells nicer. Barbasol also makes a Brisk aftershave, I like that one a lot. If you want something really cold, give Osage Rub shot. Not a lot of scent but man is it menthol heavy.

Guys, i recently tried the Gillette series Conditioning shave foam. The scent is quite meh, but the performance is quite good. Not as good as say Haslinger, but the slickness actually beats Proraso, and the cushion is a little over the top, as one would expect of canned shave foam. I would seriously consider using this stuff when i'm on the go. And since i recently got out of a phase with twin blade cart AD i might actually use it. YMMW of course, and shave on my friends

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I agree. Most of the time when its brought up Barbosal Yellow gets the nod.

I also agree that the Barbasol Yellow seems to get the most votes when this comes up. I've never seen it in a travel size, though, so you might have to with the regular ol' red can if you're carrying it on a plane. It's good stuff, too, so no worries.

If canned foam is your thing, check out Gillette Foamy Barbershop Fresh. Smells awesome. Works okay.

The best I've found to shave with is Nivea gel.

I tried the CO Bigelow Canned Goo (Proraso Canned Goo) and if I have to use that dreadful can then that is what I would use. It's pretty good and it is all my Father-in-Law will use now since I introduced him to it!

Barbasol and Gillette Foamy red cans.

The smell of Gillette Foamy in the red can has been compared to something (somewhat) popular, and I can't remember it... someone help me out?

If you like the canned foam, you should give Brut shave foam a try. I believe it comes in two scents, classic in the green can and Revolution in the blue can. Both work pretty well, its what I was using before I switched over to lathering with a brush. As far as the aftershaves go, Pacific Rush has a nice cooling sensation, probably a little stronger than AV but I think AV smells nicer. Barbasol also makes a Brisk aftershave, I like that one a lot. If you want something really cold, give Osage Rub shot. Not a lot of scent but man is it menthol heavy.

I meant the Pacific Rush shave cream! I've never tried a mentholated shave cream, and I'm interested how it would feel.

And for all those saying to use a brush and traditional shave cream/soap. I do. But, my situation is quite complicated. See, I leave for college in less than 2 weeks, and I still take quite a bit of time working up a lather. I'm not the best at it, and I don't have much more time to learn. So, my plan is to set the brush and traditional creams/soaps aside and save them for maybe a weekend shave or when I have free time. I'm sorry if some of you disagree with that, that's just what I've decided. I have already used Harry's shave gel and Barbasol multiple times since switching to wet shaving, and I like them both. It's working for me just fine. They don't seem to dry my face out like Gillette's shave gel. And, mixed with water, they're slick enough for me to get 2 passes + touch ups without any irritation or cuts - which is what is most important to me, since I'm prone to razor burn.

My main reason for making this thread was to get some ideas on what to add to my little pile, instead of just having one or two cans to chose from.
Thanks for all the great suggestions!:001_smile

Last edited:
Top Bottom