What's new

ATT change?

Below are photos of two of our stainless razors. One has the current machined finish and the other has a bead blasted finish. The bead blasting seems to produce a softer looking finish. In the photos of the assembled razors the bead blasted razor is on the right. The third photo with the caps only has the bead blasted cap on the right. Which do you prefer? Feedback welcome.

Attachments

• $DSCN5315.jpg
    $DSCN5315.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 575
  • $DSCN5316.jpg
    $DSCN5316.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 569
  • $DSCN5331.jpg
    $DSCN5331.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 591
In the two whole razor pictures I prefer the razor on the left because it has a slightly shinier finish. With the caps in the third pic I prefer the cap on the right for the same reason. Maybe it's just a angle or light thing that's making that one look shinier to me.

I'd prefer to see polished versions of these razors as I prefer that look as opposed to what's currently available.

As far as what you have going on here between the machined finish and the bead blasted one the difference is very subtle and certainly not enough of a change to really matter to me. I'd go with whatever keeps the cost down and simplifies the process for you.

I prefer the bead blasted razor, however both look good. The real test comes in the shave. I find that sometimes a highly polished head will glide over your face easier.

Stan,

I could be mistaken but....
the quality of the head reflection seems to change between pic 1&2 vs pic 3.
Notice the sharp dark line on the left head of pic 1&2 while in pic 3 the right head shows a sharp dark reflection.
Also the right head in pic 1&2 has a more diffuse look, in pic 3 the left head has that same look.
Could the heads have been switched between photos?

Thanks,
Curt

I absolutely prefer a shinier finish. Shaving (although I'm new to DE's and trying straights) gives me the "dapper" feeling. So I like to stick to sophisticated or unique types. So the more elegant the better, for me.

I kinda like the look of the bead blasted better. Its suttle thought. Polished would be better imho. But thr blasted one would help with an evan more consistancy of look.

Stan,

I remember not too long ago that you made a comment somewhere of working on a new razor project. I am believing that working on different finishes for current razors is not that project. Any word on the new project?

Stan,

I remember not too long ago that you made a comment somewhere of working on a new razor project. I am believing that working on different finishes for current razors is not that project. Any word on the new project?

This is not the "project". Just wanted some input. Dealing with a machine shop now about the other one.

I prefer the machined finish. The machined finish would seem to me to be more consistent as to dimensional consistency. Also, as mentioned before a brighter, slicker finish just might be a little bit smoother sliding on the face. I'd not be very concerned with a slight difference in cost, just happier with a machined, more "finished" appearance.

I don't know that I have a preference ... I like the high polish of the brass, and the 'brushed' and the 'blasted' .... so many razors - only one face!!!!

In about two week the project will either be green lighted by me and continue at full speed or I will dump it and start over.

Excellent!

Project speculation:
-Custom handles and/or heads
-New handle designs
-New heads
-Straight razor/Shavette
-Annodizing or some sort of "coloring" process (Black Oxide?)
-Brushes and/or brush handles

I'll give myself a pat on the back if I guess correctly. :D

On - Topic: That bead blasted look is very nice. I always prefer brushed, but the softer look of the bead blasting is appealing. Any difference in feel while shaving?

Top Bottom