What's new

Colonial Razor

I don't have a Facebook account and I have no problems reading the information that they post. They are good about posting publicly. Also, they are very responsive over email.

I do wish they had a website, however.

My sentiments exactly!

Also, I used my General again this morning. I changed up my technique a bit, but still got a great shave.

Last edited by a moderator:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
That's all personal preference. They are a very new company so I think the website and all the rest will come in time. Kirk informed me that batch 1 sold out so they must be doing something right, although there aren't enough reviews out right now to get a true sense of what kind of shaver it is. I too am a fan of heavier razors but I think the idea of using aluminum is to keep the cost down, otherwise you are paying literally triple the cost (when you compare The General to ATT or Mongoose) for stainless steel. I was just reading some negative comments about Mongoose's customer service so I would rather go with a company who is responsive and stands behind what they make.

Personal preference for razor characteristics aside, the fact is it's likely that the greater savings is in labor cost - made in North America as opposed to China.

I'm not fanboying either of those SS Se's here, though I do enjoy them. Maybe mention to General in your next email that B&B welcomes vendor members? I do love to see new traditional razors come to market, even if they aren't my cup of tea, or available to those without Facebook.

I received the razor Saturday. On my opinion it doesn't have any defects. I stared thru magnifying glass on the side of the baseplate and after a considerable effort I was able to discern a microscopic mark, and even this only because they published a photo of it. I don't think it can be characterized as a defect at all.

I had a one shave with Colonial using Feather Pro and it was effortless and excellent, though the razor is somewhat mild, I need to try it with Pro Super. It is very light but I don't have any problem with it. In general I am very sceptical about this entire mantra 'let the weight of a razor do its work'. Had it been true, how would it has been possible to shave in any direction except north to south.May be it's good for beginners before they develop light touch

I completely agree - the Facebook thing should be a non-issue. It is not necessary to join Facebook to look at the page, which is visible to the public. It's not even necessary to look at the Facebook page, as everything can be done via email and PayPal.

I too was impressed by the prompt email responses and super fast shipping. I saw the razor mentioned in a forum and literally a couple of days later I had one in my hand. I also could not find any defect on mine even after carefully going over it with a magnifying glass.

I did notice that fit and finish are excellent, and downright incredible considering the price point.

After a weeks worth of use I have to say that the quality of the shave is equal to that of my SE1 or Cobra Classic. It doesn't feel as elegant in the hand, but considering that these razors cost 3-4 times as much as The General I can live with that.

Actually, I've been using it with a custom wood handle made by a local artisan that makes it even lighter. Weighing in at a mere 1.2 ounces with this handle, it shaves like an injector.

A really wide injector. :001_rolle

--Bob

I declined the offer for the first batch so I'll have to wait till the next comes out. Looks like it's a great shaver from what I've seen.

I declined the offer for the first batch so I'll have to wait till the next comes out. Looks like it's a great shaver from what I've seen.

I hope the next batch is available quickly so you can give this razor a try. I look forward to your review of it.

I completely agree - the Facebook thing should be a non-issue. It is not necessary to join Facebook to look at the page, which is visible to the public. It's not even necessary to look at the Facebook page, as everything can be done via email and PayPal.

If the Facebook thing is a dealbreaker for someone, that is perfectly fine. Some people don't want to go anywhere near Facebook. I don't blame them for that. I know plenty of people who avoid Facebook like it is a plague. I just wanted to make sure that people know that signing in to Facebook isn't necessary to get one of these razors or get information about them.

Actually, I've been using it with a custom wood handle made by a local artisan that makes it even lighter. Weighing in at a mere 1.2 ounces with this handle, it shaves like an injector.

A really wide injector. :001_rolle

--Bob

Okay, I demand pics. I want to see this custom handle. :001_smile

Also, I hadn't thought of comparing it to an injector, but I can see why you would say it shaves like one. The blades are similar. Some people even cut down the Artist Club blades to insert into Injectors (they call them "Featherjectors"). The General is lightweight like an Injector. Hhmmm, now I need to pull out one of my Injectors and give them back to back shaves.

I have never had a Facebook acccount, but I am fine with browsing if needed. I don't think Facebook so evil, I should avoid even looking on it : -) May be they will be the future, but not now

Okay, I demand pics. I want to see this custom handle. :001_smile

Sorry for the delay - busy day.

$genlcbw1.jpg

$genlcbw2.jpg

The handle is made of red cedar and of course resin coated to make it waterproof. The collar has a gun metal finish. I don't know what sort of resin was used but it is not at all slippery, even when coated with lather.

The General is light at 1.5 ounces with the original handle, and as mentioned above, this brings it down to 1.2 ounces - about what my I2 Hydromagic weighs.

Yesterday's shave featured this razor/handle loaded with a Kai Captain blade (the pictures were taken a couple of days ago). The Feathers get all the love but these blades are just as effective.

--Bob

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

As you can see many posts have been culled and/or edited in this thread. The Team here at B&B definitely encourages a spirited discussion regarding new and exciting products, but when it crosses into the realm of fanboyism we must intervene. Please gear the discussion to the razor itself and not a testimony to the quality and responsiveness of the vendor and/or a facilitation to the ordering process. Those types of threads and discussions will be moved into Shopping and Deals or Clubs and Brotherhoods. It has been moved back into The SE Forum. Hopefully to stay.

Carry on.

Last edited:
I've had the Colonial General for a few weeks or so and have a number of shaves with it. Kai Milds were too mild for me, Feather Pro's work best. Today I received a RR Hawk so I was able to compare the two. I started with a Kai Mild in the Hawk and could immediately tell I need the Feather Pro so I swapped blades. Why struggle?

Looking at the heads of these two razors it seems obvious the Hawk has a narrow, very well defined useable angle while the General with its curved head would appear to have more flexibility with the angle. Well, in this case appearances are correct. The Hawk provides a very smooth, comfortable, efficient shave when the proper angle is kept. The few times I strayed from that angle I experienced a lot of tugging and pulling. Having said that...the angle of the Hawk is intuitive and easy to hold. For $20 - $25 bucks you cannot go wrong here.

The Colonial General's shave angle is quite similar to a dome topped DE. It does offer the user to adjust the angle to suit his needs. I find the General a bit more comfortable and the angle fits me well. Like the Hawk, the General provides a close efficient comfortable shave that for me tops every DE razor I own.

Is the General worth the extra $30? For my face and beard the answer is absolutely. I can say with no hesitation I prefer the General to the Hawk. But....

Both of these razors provide exceptional shaves and while I prefer the General to the Hawk that preference is slight and its quite likely others will find the Hawk to their liking. At these price points and assuming both are available for the foreseeable future then I say grab one of each and try your own test.

Top Bottom