What's new

Sake anyone ?

I enjoy sake now and then. I went to a sake tasting a few years back where a guy who really knew his stuff (and who traveled to Japan fairly regularly) shared some of his sakes that were only available in Japan.

Oddly enough, my first experience with it was at a Mexican resort in Cabo. It was very good, though I'm not expert enough to judge quality sake.

I remember taking a course at the Japan Society that lasted for a few sessions. It featured pairings with different foods.
Koshu (aged sake that has a faint amber color) goes really well with blue cheese!

I went to at least one other tasting seminar.

Even so, I still feel my knowledge is limited.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I very much enjoy sake, although I drink it far too rarely, and my knowledge is fairly limited.

Just last week, I visited a sake maker in Vancouver (on Granville Island). He even grows his own rice in BC, the most northern rice production in the world. His stuff was very good! I could've sat out there all day, sipping good sake and enjoying some beautiful weather. Too bad that Mrs. TL is not as much of a sake fan as I am.

$Sake 1.jpg$Sake 2.jpg

Help me out here. I've always heard that you should drink sake warm, but I've also rad that serving it warm is only for cheap sakes. My mother, who was Japanese, liked it warm. What are your thoughts on the matter?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm planning on making my own and marketing it under the name-

For Pete's Sake!

Help me out here. I've always heard that you should drink sake warm, but I've also rad that serving it warm is only for cheap sakes. My mother, who was Japanese, liked it warm. What are your thoughts on the matter?

My wife, who is Japanese, prefers it cold!
It really depends on the kind of sake and the dish you're serving it with.
Winter may also call for warm and summer for cold.
No set rules. Both are a pleasure.

I enjoy hot sake when I go out for sushi. It's pretty much the only alcoholic beverage that can be drank hot. (Unless you count things like Hot Toddy's, which merely have a shot of alcoholic liquid in them.) I find it to be a unique drink, in that regard.

Has anyone tried sparkling sake? I got a bottle of it for my birthday, and unfortunately, I hated it. It was like soda with a rotten flavor.

I don't drink it that often. I prefer chilled cloudy Namazake, and I happen to like the ones that are kind of chunky. Essentially, the sake equivalent of what you get at the bottom of the scrumpy barrel.

I was told by my Intro to Japanese Culture professor that cheap sake was served warm, because it tastes terrible cold.

I love sake, even the cheap stuff they sell at the local grocer. Unfiltered is pretty good, but I also really like the warm sake with my sushi.

I was told by my Intro to Japanese Culture professor that cheap sake was served warm, because it tastes terrible cold.

I love sake, even the cheap stuff they sell at the local grocer. Unfiltered is pretty good, but I also really like the warm sake with my sushi.
+1

Make sure it's 20 degrees outside. I drank it around 75 degrees and thought I was going to spontaneously combust.

Top Bottom