What's new

First SE shave - 1914 Ever-ready

YO! (One word summary).

Okay, loaded up the SE warhorse 1914 Ever-ready with a Gem Personna stainless blade this morning. After stepping out of the shower, I beat and whipped up some glycerin based lather and proceeded to get down to business.

All my skills were brought to bear as I lifted this loaded razor and proceeded to remove the previous day's stubble. One thing I detected immediately was a touch of blade chatter, particularly if I let my angle get steep. Moving the cap closer to my skin eliminated this.

Two passes, WTG and XTG. This is a razor that requires all the usual caveats, no pressure, and pay attention to angle. If you do that, you will be rewarded with a crazy close shave. I did experience a couple of minor errors, all my fault, during the WTG pass on my neck.

If I were to compare this to any DE razor, I'd say it is on par with the Gillette Old Type with respect to aggression. If you have mastered the OT you will have the skill set to employ the Ever-ready 1914 as a daily driver.

proxy.php

Good to hear that your first shave went well. You found the secret of the SE razors. Get your face very close to the head of the razor (some folks say it should touch. They were designed for that shallow angle. Blade chatter and audio feedback are two indicators that the angle may be too steep. So next up will be the 1924 Shovelhead, Micromatic Open Comb and Clog Pruf. Oh and be on the lookout for a Gem Jr. Lather Catcher. You have no idea how deep this rabbit hole is!

Welcome to the SE club. :thumbup1:

I find that I get better results if I just lay the cap against my face and keep it there.

I suggest for your next SE purchase get one of the later model (J,L,M,N) Injectors, a 1924 Shovelhead, or a GEM G-Bar. Or all three.

SE razors are awesome.

Nice right up Lane! the 1914 is my favorite of the more aggressive SEs. If you want one that's a little more user friendly, and almost as efficient try a 1912. If you think of the 14 as an OLD the 12 would be more like a NEW or Prewar Tech.

Sounds like a good start to SEs. Shallow blade angle is the key with them. Did the razor let you hear it cut? Most of the SEs give noticeable feedback.

Sounds like a good start to SEs. Shallow blade angle is the key with them. Did the razor let you hear it cut? Most of the SEs give noticeable feedback.

Greetings Nick,

Yes, the feedback was VERY noticeable. Keeping shallow on the angle made a huge difference. Very, very efficient razor.

You have good taste, Sir. 1912s are my daily driver, but I love my 1914 also!

Thanks Jeff!

I have a couple 1912's inbound (did Troy call it or what :). Due to the vast majority of user interest being directed to DE razors, it's not too difficult to score very clean examples of SE's at amazingly good prices.

Thanks Jeff!

I have a couple 1912's inbound (did Troy call it or what :). Due to the vast majority of user interest being directed to DE razors, it's not too difficult to score very clean examples of SE's at amazingly good prices.
They are the best bang for your buck in vintage razors!

Sounds like a wonderful shave. I'm finding the 1914 to be a great shaver too now that I'm getting better on my GEM SE technique it's almost too easy to get a great shave as long as you keep your tough light and don't go too fast. I like to think of it as a straight inside a sleeve if that makes sense. The angles are pretty similar to my shavette shaves and delivers similar results.

Sounds like a wonderful shave. I'm finding the 1914 to be a great shaver too now that I'm getting better on my GEM SE technique it's almost too easy to get a great shave as long as you keep your tough light and don't go too fast. I like to think of it as a straight inside a sleeve if that makes sense. The angles are pretty similar to my shavette shaves and delivers similar results.

Thank you and I agree completely. If you do your part the 1914 delivers an extremely close shave. This is a razor that demands you pay attention to prep and technique but rewards you accordingly.

Top Bottom