What's new

Scortarious Pipes

Hello fellow BL'ers. I recently won a GAW that Scortarious Pipes was doing on Instagram. He's putting out some nice pipes at crazy low prices for what you get (IMHO).

Here's a brief review of the pipe he sent to me.

Firstly he is doing basic shapes (Billiard, Apple, Poker) with perhaps a focus on Pokers.

His "draw" as I would call it is his choice of stem material. All of his stems are made using very nice stem material patterns. I have seen both saddle and taper bit work and both styles show clean lines.

The pipe bowls are generally rusticated with a golden contrast stain on smooth shanks and rims.

(Apologies in advance for lackluster pics. My camera (phone) is acting up and lighting is spotty with a lot of cloud cover.)

Here is a pic of the pipe I received:

Nice lightweight poker with a saddle bit.

The stems are joined to the shank with a delrin insert.

$20160805_134553.jpg

The delrin is lightly chamfered on the outer circumference and more deeply chamfered on the inner circumference (funnel taper?). Supposedly the inner chamfer makes for a better / smoother smoke.

The stem widens just a hair at the bit. The bit has a subtle curve to it and the draught hole is funneled for about 1/2". The draught is nice and open and the pipe quite naturally and with ease passes the pipe cleaner test.

$20160805_134715.jpg$20160805_134728.jpg

The fit and finish between shank and stem is flawless. No gaps, just nice and flush.

$20160805_134656.jpg

The only knock I had against the pipe was that the draught hole was just a wee bit high in the chamber... Maybe 2mm at most measured from dead center of chamber to bottom of hole (conical bit/chamber). I asked the maker about this and he said that this is the first chamber that he has drilled with this particular bit and that is why the hole was a touch high. He also appreciated the fact that I did not overlook this.

The bowl comes pre-coated which may bother some. I wold rather have un-coated bowls given a choice, although I do not choose a pipe based on this aspect.

Overall I am really impressed with this pipe. I doubt that the maker is turning much profit on his pipes at the price they are going for, though I expect perhaps that will change in the near future.

Lastly his email name and shipping location was identical? to another artisan that has been making pipes for a while now. Perhaps this maker has a family member getting into the business or perhaps this maker is trying his hand at "factory" production processes as a maker as other well known makers have done in the past year or two. Either way you may want to consider Scortarious if you're looking for a good artisan pipe on a budget.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That's a nice-looking pipe. It's always good to hear about someone making good quality pipes at a good value. Thanks for the heads-up.

Nice. It looks like he improved his button work there as mine was a wee bit large for my bite once I started using it. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom