What's new

Synthetic Shaving Brush Pass Around

The Bruce handle does look like something I would like. I've been doing some early Christmas shopping and the Plissoft Bruce 24mm and the Stirling 24mm were my 2 top choices. Both are not available, however. (The Stirling 24mm isn't even listed).

So... RR has the Bruce in a 26mm knot that looks similar in size to the Kong (exact same knot size and height) except it only weighs 85g, (which is 15-20% less than Kong). While I like the shape of the handle, I still worry about the size.

Stirling has it's 26mm knot (same as the Kong) mounted in it's smaller handle size at a lower loft as well. 26mm x 54mm. And the weight is at 80g, which is about what I like. This looks like the way I'll go, as it's got great weight, handle size, and I know this performed great in the Kong. I'm slightly worried that the lowered loft might make i a little too dense for my taste and/or that it will not perform as well as the Kong. At $15, it's worth the gamble. The harder decision will be which soaps I'm going to add to the order... :)

RE: your question on the Zenith - I remember it lathering very well. My issue wasn't as much with it's ability to create lather, but the feel of it when working with it.

Last edited:
The Bruce handle does look like something I would like. I've been doing some early Christmas shopping and the Plissoft Bruce 24mm and the Stirling 24mm were my 2 top choices. Both are not available, however. (The Stirling 24mm isn't even listed).

So... RR has the Bruce in a 26mm knot that looks similar in size to the Kong (exact same knot size and height) except it only weighs 85g, (which is 15-20% less than Kong). While I like the shape of the handle, I still worry about the size.

Stirling has it's 26mm knot (same as the Kong) mounted in it's smaller handle size at a lower loft as well. 26mm x 54mm. And the weight is at 80g, which is about what I like. This looks like the way I'll go, as it's got great weight, handle size, and I know this performed great in the Kong. I'm slightly worried that the lowered loft might make i a little too dense for my taste and/or that it will not perform as well as the Kong. At $15, it's worth the gamble. The harder decision will be which soaps I'm going to add to the order... :)

RE: your question on the Zenith - I remember it lathering very well. My issue wasn't as much with it's ability to create lather, but the feel of it when working with it.

Excellent deduction. I seriously doubt that you could go wrong with any brush from the Plisson fibers. The purple swirled handle from Maggard really speaks to me. I'm excited for my turn with the pass-around to come.

Thanks for the feedback on the Zenith. If I may ask further, was it the face feel (scratch/scritch/scrub)? If so, was it still softer than your natural hair bristles?

Last edited:
Excellent deduction. I seriously doubt that you could go wrong with any brush from the Plisson fibers. The purple swirled handle from Maggard really speaks to me. I'm excited for my turn with the pass-around to come.

Thanks for the feedback on the Zenith. If I may ask further, was it the face feel (scratch/scritch/scrub)? If so, was it still softer than your natural hair bristles?

The zenith felt like the other Plisson Knots - is it not the same knot/fibers?

In short - crazy soft :)

I find it the same as plisson fibers in the tips, I.e. soft, but a little scritch when the tips are pressed against the skin. Because of the extra springiness of the zenith fiber, you feel this scritch more.

I found some of the reviews here to be incredibly intensive. There is no way that I could give a better review. What I decided to do was a completely blind test. Put the brushes in a pile and grab one at a time swirling on the same puck. Brush on the back of my hand and review. Open my eyes and see which one it was. Some of them I recognized by the handle... I knew immediately so that is cheating but this is the best blind review that I'm able to do. I love synthetics, almost all of them are worth every penny and then twice as much!

$20161202_185651.jpg
$20161202_192111.jpg
$20161202_191941.jpg
$20161202_191735.jpg

This rating system is very subjective based on my hand size. Here's a picture of a tech in my hand for size reference.
$20161202_184513.jpg
$20161202_185344.jpg
$20161202_185104.jpg

Ultimately I find brushless to be similar in use except for the handle. I don't find having 50 brushes to be entertaining at all, for some reason I'm only addicted to soap. I will probably continue to use only a handful of brushes at a time while maintaining hundreds of soaps. It's very interesting to read your reviews and I love seeing people's brush collections. Great thread, thank you for letting me participate!

I love the different way of reviewing. It's nice to see a different way to look at it. I don't know if it would be my first choice for a straight review, but in a pass around it is refreshing.

Looks like most of your reviews fall in line with the opinions we've seen so far. I think the brush with the biggest diff of opinion is the satin tip.

This rating system is very subjective based on my hand size. Here's a picture of a tech in my hand for size reference.
View attachment 706539
View attachment 706540
View attachment 706541

Ultimately I find brushless to be similar in use except for the handle. I don't find having 50 brushes to be entertaining at all, for some reason I'm only addicted to soap. I will probably continue to use only a handful of brushes at a time while maintaining hundreds of soaps. It's very interesting to read your reviews and I love seeing people's brush collections. Great thread, thank you for letting me participate!

For those of us that don't know them all by look, can you give us a quick breakdown of your scores and which brush they were?

The passaround box landed at my house this morning! The Pampers box is a nice touch. Haven't seen one of those in our house for a long time. (Thank god.)

$brush passaround.jpg

Thank you, Rock Climber. Reviews to come soon!

Last edited:
I'm in if available.

Haven't tried ANY synthetic brushes to date.

Jerad - Allen, TX (North of Dallas)

Last edited:
Top Bottom