What's new

The Scotch Whisky Road

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yes, indeed. Talisker is quite nice! Highland Park 12 also has some very pleasant, fairly mild smoke to it. HP 18 does, as well, but it's mighty pricey. The 15 doesn't really have that smoke, being more floral and like a Highland whisky.

According to you guys, much is a dram in terms of volume?

Anal deep to the core and always with an eye to the theoretical scoreboard in my Scotch whisky journey, I've calculated ~45ml as the one-5%-beer-equivalent here for most single malts, poured this much water into my lil' whisky snifters, and scribed a mark on their sides at the water line with a narrow conical diamond hone. So when I drink I pour to the line.

According to you guys, how much is a dram in terms of volume?

Alright, let's try and clear this up...

Encyclopedia Britannica - dram; unit of weight in the apothecaries’ and avoirdupois systems. An apothecaries’ dram contains 3 scruples (3.888 grams) of 20 grains each and is equal to one-eighth apothecaries’ ounce of 480 grains. The avoirdupois dram contains 27.344 grains (1.772 grams) and is equal to one-sixteenth avoirdupois ounce of 437 12 grains. The term also refers to the fluid dram, a measure of capacity equal to one-eighth fluid ounce.

It’s also the Scottish Gaelic word for drink
– the literal meaning of ‘dram’ in English is simply ‘drink’, so it doesn’t have to be just for whisky and spirits though it’s normally used for these things.

However, I think my favorite definition is from the Urban Dictionary -
[FONT=&amp]A pour of alcohol. The amount determined only by the generosity of the pourer.[/FONT]

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

Alright, let's try and clear this up...

Encyclopedia Britannica - dram; unit of weight in the apothecaries’ and avoirdupois systems. An apothecaries’ dram contains 3 scruples (3.888 grams) of 20 grains each and is equal to one-eighth apothecaries’ ounce of 480 grains. The avoirdupois dram contains 27.344 grains (1.772 grams) and is equal to one-sixteenth avoirdupois ounce of 437 12 grains. The term also refers to the fluid dram, a measure of capacity equal to one-eighth fluid ounce.

It’s also the Scottish Gaelic word for drink
– the literal meaning of ‘dram’ in English is simply ‘drink’, so it doesn’t have to be just for whisky and spirits though it’s normally used for these things.

However, I think my favorite definition is from the Urban Dictionary -
[FONT=&amp]A pour of alcohol. The amount determined only by the generosity of the pourer.[/FONT]
After reading much of that, I could use a dram or two.

Anal deep to the core and always with an eye to the theoretical scoreboard in my Scotch whisky journey, I've calculated ~45ml as the one-5%-beer-equivalent here for most single malts, poured this much water into my lil' whisky snifters, and scribed a mark on their sides at the water line with a narrow conical diamond hone. So when I drink I pour to the line.

One of the reasons I asked the question is I enjoyed drinking 1.5 fluid ounces (small shot glass) more than other amounts. The Scotch whiskey tasted better and I could pick up the notes easier. 1.5 ounces is about 44.3 ml, therefore your calculation about a dram of Scotch whiskey has merit in my opinion.

According to the scotch society I am a guest at frequently a dram is a 1/2-3/4 oz pour. Basically enough so you can get some good tasting in both straight and with a few drops of water.

Speaking of I had about the best scotch I've ever had the other night. it was a 2012 Bowmore Feis Lie man was that good. It's not every day I get to sample a ~1k bottle of scotch.

So, I'm currently enjoying Talisker 10 Year (although I want to save it for the colder months), Oban 14 Year (my new favorite and being enjoyed as I write this) and Dalwhinnie 15. I'm running low on the Dalwhinnie so it's time to think about what to enjoy next. Trust me, there's a whole lot more on my Scotch Whisky list, but these are the ones up for next rotation...

Caol Ila 12
Glendronach 12
Aberlour 12
Springbank 10
and Lagavulin 16

I'm leaning towards the Caol Ila, but I'd also like to hear thoughts from some of the fine Whisky Brethren here on B&B.
Cheers!

:sailor:

So, I'm currently enjoying Talisker 10 Year (although I want to save it for the colder months), Oban 14 Year (my new favorite and being enjoyed as I write this) and Dalwhinnie 15. I'm running low on the Dalwhinnie so it's time to think about what to enjoy next. Trust me, there's a whole lot more on my Scotch Whisky list, but these are the ones up for next rotation...

Caol Ila 12
Glendronach 12
Aberlour 12
Springbank 10
and Lagavulin 16

I'm leaning towards the Caol Ila, but I'd also like to hear thoughts from some of the fine Whisky Brethren here on B&B.
Cheers!

You can't go wrong with the Caol Ila 12/ It is wonderful. I've been taken by Laphroaig 10 recently.

Actually, I'm now leaning towards a Glenmorangie "The Original" 10 Year. I forgot this was on my list. I was reading a cool article The Joy of Drinking Young Single Malt Scotch and at only 30$ I don't think I can go wrong.

May have been mentioned before but its the most popular scotch in Scotland for a reason. Its very easy to drink and a real bargain for what you get. A scotch you give to non-scotch drinkers to try because its so light.

Well, I made my monthly trip to SF and stopped of at K&L and brought this home. There's just so many great Scotches to try and I'm in no hurry whatsoever - I'll just pick one from the list, bring it home and enjoy the hell out of it.

Cheers everyone, and may your Thanksgiving be warm and comforting...

$2016-11-22 at 00-00-00.jpg

One of the reasons I asked the question is I enjoyed drinking 1.5 fluid ounces (small shot glass) more than other amounts. The Scotch whiskey tasted better and I could pick up the notes easier. 1.5 ounces is about 44.3 ml, therefore your calculation about a dram of Scotch whiskey has merit in my opinion.
So after reading this, I figured I should see what 1.5 oz looks like in my Neat glass. And the only thing I had to measure with was The Macallan 12. Oh well, the sacrifices I make for science.

So after reading this, I figured I should see what 1.5 oz looks like in my Neat glass. And the only thing I had to measure with was The Macallan 12. Oh well, the sacrifices I make for science.

Macallan 12 - my very first single malt Scotch. I was at a close friends house (big famous winemaker by trade), it was getting late and he pulled out a bottle and some glasses and that was that - the beginning of my Scotch Whisky Road.

It's quite a lovely, smooth whisky if I remember correctly.

Macallan 12 - my very first single malt Scotch. I was at a close friends house (big famous winemaker by trade), it was getting late and he pulled out a bottle and some glasses and that was that - the beginning of my Scotch Whisky Road.

It's quite a lovely, smooth whisky if I remember correctly.

It was my first single malt as well. I also visited the distillery about 20 years ago with my parents so there will always be a place in my liquor cabinet for a Macallan. It may be a little run-of-the-mill as far as single malts go, but why should I mess with something I like?

Lovely indeed [MENTION=106184]Strop Dragging My Heart[/MENTION]!!

This is my first official Islay Whisky and I must admit it is just perfect for these colder, rainy evenings. I currently have a Highland Whisky (Oban 14), an Island Whisky (Talsker 10) and damn if they both aren't lovely but this Caol Ila bumps up the smoke and peat to an even higher lovely place.

You know what's funny? The first thing I thought of after a few sips was campfire - a nice, warm, High Sierra Nevada mountains campfire - with marshmallows on a stick, the cool night air and that undeniable smoke. Yet even though the peat and smoke are at the front there's also a great balance with butter, grass, sweet flowers and salt even. Damn delicious.

And at exactly 8:30pm PT, I'll be having another...

Well, I made my monthly trip to SF and stopped of at K&L and brought this home. There's just so many great Scotches to try and I'm in no hurry whatsoever - I'll just pick one from the list, bring it home and enjoy the hell out of it.

Cheers everyone, and may your Thanksgiving be warm and comforting...

View attachment 704279
Nice!! Enjoy and have a great Thanksgiving!!

Top Bottom