What's new

The Scotch Whisky Road

The only single malts I've had that went down easier than Dalwhinnie were Old Pulteney and some highly expensive Japanese stuff. I'd take Old Pulteney over the Japanese.

Some single malts I've tried in the past week or so:

Ardbeg Uigeadail
Macallan 12
Glenmorangie 10
Glenlivet 18

I found the Macallan to be very smooth and pleasant to sample. Glenmorangie nearly the same. I might have to buy the Macallan to complement my collection of Islays!

Dalwhinnie is very nice. I also like Cardhu - what do you think about it?
So far, I still find quite a few that have been mentioned that I have not tried (maybe too many), but Bunnahabhain was fairly enjoyable if I remember correctly.

I love the Dalwhinnie. A bit on the light side, but with some nice complex flavors as well. I also love the Talisker 10, but I'm saving that for when the Fall weather turns a bit cooler. The Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 I won't be buying again. Although I've enjoyed it, the spice flavors dominate the flavor profile a bit to much for my liking.

I have not tried any Cardhu - I haven't seen it available where I shop.

I think my next bottle will either be the Glenmorangie 10 D'Oro, or the Auchentoshan 18. As I've got almost 20 different bottles on my "list", this Whisky Road of mine will be delightfully long!

:sailor:

You know the more I drink the Dalwhinnie 15 the more I agree with you. It's just a very nice, smooth, delicious Scotch and I don't think it will ever leave my rotation. Plus, it's easily available at our local Trader Joe's market.

And for all of you here in the SF Bay Area, check out K&L Wine Merchants for their great selection and prices.

What is it selling for at TJs? That's really convenient.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I think my next bottle will either be the Glenmorangie 10 D'Oro,

I opened a bottle of the Quinto Ruban (port cask), just last night, and there's all of about half left. In other words, great stuff, and it's easier to find and often less expensive than the D'Oro (and, if you ask yours truly, it's even better than the D'Oro).

Shoot, my local store had it on sale for $40. I was afraid it was a sting.

What is it selling for at TJs? That's really convenient.

49$

I opened a bottle of the Quinto Ruban (port cask), just last night, and there's all of about half left. In other words, great stuff, and it's easier to find and often less expensive than the D'Oro (and, if you ask yours truly, it's even better than the D'Oro). Shoot, my local store had it on sale for $40. I was afraid it was a sting.

Are you telling me I should add another bottle of Scotch to my list!? Ok. Done. And since you're right about the pricing the Quinto Ruban will probably be my next purchase.

Looks at buying Single Malts in Trader Joe's.

Sees price of Dalwhinnie under fifty

Remembers live in PA

Shakes fist in general direction of lucky buggers.

Pennsylvania used to be a big temperance state and so for the safety of society mandated all wine and liquor sales to be through state stores. They were dark and dingy places where the point was not to make a profit but to limit the amount of alcohol sold.
Started changing nearly 20 years ago when a smart chairman decided that as the country's largest wine and liquor buyer, he could actually ask for good deals from suppliers and a new "we could actually make a profit for the state budget if we sell more stuff" paradigm was born.
Come a long way since then, but still state owned and regulated.

Pennsylvania used to be a big temperance state and so for the safety of society mandated all wine and liquor sales to be through state stores. They were dark and dingy places where the point was not to make a profit but to limit the amount of alcohol sold.
Started changing nearly 20 years ago when a smart chairman decided that as the country's largest wine and liquor buyer, he could actually ask for good deals from suppliers and a new "we could actually make a profit for the state budget if we sell more stuff" paradigm was born.

Got it! I hope things continue to get better. Here in Tennessee we don't have the ABC stores but we still have "Blue Laws." No spirits or wine can be bought on Sunday. Beer after 10:00.

So last night I went with a friend to a pub and thought that I might have some Scotch if they had any nice ones around.
I had some Cardhu 12, which was pretty good. Even though I have had it quite a few times before, it's been a while since the last time I drank it last. Still as nice as I remembered.

I reccomend highly anything by springbank. I always try to avoid the Diagio owned brands as its hard to imagine any passion gone into the making of it. You can.usually tell because when you walk in.on the tour, its got lovely expensive audio visuals and all the equipment is stainless steel.

It also means the selection is often limited as all the stores get the same stock. There are a few Premium Collection stores that have a nicer selection.

Top Bottom