What's new

Switching razors for ATG

I have read that some str8 shavers switch to different razor for ATG, or re-strop mid shave. I tried switching to a different razor for ATG and had improved comfort. It is double the razor maintenance, so I am not sure I will always do this, but when I am going for the closest shave, I will consider it.:straight:

Hope I am not out of line with comparing adjustable DE razors to Straight razors..........

A blade is a blade is a blade.

It all IMHO is how you use it.

Just got to adapt it to you situation!

Hope I am not out of line with comparing adjustable DE razors to Straight razors..........

A blade is a blade is a blade.

It all IMHO is how you use it.

Just got to adapt it to you situation!
I have to disagree. There is a vast difference between a razor before and after stropping. If a "blade is a blade Ian's a blade" it would make no sense to hone or strop our straight razors! :001_huh:

Last edited:
I find that an additional mid shave stropping before the ATG pass makes it more comfortable and closer

Sure you could strop or change razors for the ATG, I've never done it or needed to do it.

Ho inventato le fettuccine Alfredo

Doug, I don't know how much HHT testing you've had a chance to do but I would bet that there's a link between a good HHT test and an edge that can go ATG without trouble. I would find some hair and try to dial in your edges to an HHT-4.

My ATG passes always feel smooth. It is the XTG passes that are the most challenging for me. I can't see stopping mid shave to strop. My face would start to dry out and I'd have to jump back in the shower.

Doug, I don't know how much HHT testing you've had a chance to do but I would bet that there's a link between a good HHT test and an edge that can go ATG without trouble. I would find some hair and try to dial in your edges to an HHT-4.
I have no problem in achieving an edge that will pass the HHT. In fact I strive for a falling hair test. My beard is tough enough to degrade the edge during a shave so that ATG can become uncomfortable at the end, so I either strop mid-shave or switch razors prior to ATG. Of course YMMV.

Considering your hair type then I would swap razors mid shave when needed then. I've done that before and it's an effective option no doubt. The down side to mid shave stropping is time and handeling a razor with wet hands. Also it might be more maint. but it's a good excuse to hone more often!

I've just started using SR and the main problem is east to west stroke under the jaw line for ATG since my hair there grows horizontally toward ears. I think it's geometrically impossible to do horizontal stroke from ear toward chin because of length of the blade 3" but there are SR with short blade length like 2" so it might make sense. Some people wrote they use injectors for it but it sort of defy the purpose. I think having short blade SR for that stroke ; under jaw from ear to mouth would help, also for uprear lip area, Ideally I would like to have 8/8 3" and 4/8 2" for under jaw horizontal strokes and uprear lip. Would be nice to order custom set with identical scales blade geometry

Last edited:
yeah, it is tough in that direction and I am ATG in that direction there. I pull my skin as much as possible above the jaw line and do a pass, then I pull down and do "J" hook passes. I have a Portland Razors "Sprite" on order that I am hoping will make short work of this (2" blade"). :thumbup1:

Above technique (which always improves), finding a honing style to my liking led to an 'all-purpose' edge that could be adjusted (angle, etc) for any pass.

Koraat has an option for 'reduced blade length'. It doesn't specify though what is reduced length and if scale length is also shortened. I have a clear vision of 'Mini me' straight razor like in 'Austin Powers' .
A small obstacle — ordering two razors from Koraat 8/8 and let's say 5/8 reduced length scales paterns jimps all matched will run into 700 or 800 $$ if not more. May be he will have a special discounts for combos :)

If you find switching SRs or stropping between passes works for you then that is what you should do...there are no hard and fast rules in this endeavour. Everyone's beard type and direction of hair growth is different. Just experiment and find what works best. Personally I can't do ATG...just causes irritation.

Top Bottom